I'm working on Quake again, requesting some advice

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ataxy

Post by ataxy »

yeah chris is the releaser i only build mine actualy i dont even talk about it anywhere else
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

PeterM wrote:Please please remember guys, the purpose of Subversion is not to give everyone an up-to-date build. It's for Chris and I to collaborate and to satisfy the GPL. Therefore, the code will have lots of bugs in it, and we probably know about them all.
Well, anyone who knows how a VCS works knows the code repo is not to be considered "stable". :-D I like to look at it as an "advanced peek" at coming versions.
Riekistyx

Post by Riekistyx »

... what do you mean no clipping.
PSP doesnt have a auto clipper for unseen geometry? ;(
LOL @ linux users
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

It sort of does.

Geometry projected inside the the +- 2048 guard band will be displayed properly, but triangles will be discarded if they have a vertex outside the guard band.

I wrote some clipping code that, while it clips fine, still needs some optimisation.
http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

I can no longer do any homebrew PSP development nor discuss PSP specific topics.
ataxy

Post by ataxy »

ok noticed some bug sound from time to time stop and the comes back, also after finishing episode1 and trying to load episode2 i was greeted with a "unable to load texture not enough ram" and the game quit but upon reboot it loaded fine so i guess it did not flush the texture from the previous
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Doing texture memory management properly is something we've still got to do. It's in the bug tracker.

I'm not sure about the sound issue. Does the sound loop, or go completely quiet?

I can no longer do any homebrew PSP development nor discuss PSP specific topics.
ataxy

Post by ataxy »

PeterM wrote:Doing texture memory management properly is something we've still got to do. It's in the bug tracker.

I'm not sure about the sound issue. Does the sound loop, or go completely quiet?
well its actually quite weird as its only part of it, for example ill ear the ambient sound but the shooting will go mute and will normaly come back after ~10 sec but sometime it will be all sound that will go mute

by the way when you say "we've still got to do" does this mean that you are still into the project devlopment, just out of curiosity...
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

I'll be working on Quake after my exams, but not if my company gets PSP development kits by then.

So that may be days or weeks, or not happen at all if we get kits during my exams.

I'm quite confused about the audio issue. Probably what would be best to do is to look into it after we've fixed our memory issues (in case it's related).

ataxy

Post by ataxy »

PeterM wrote:I'll be working on Quake after my exams, but not if my company gets PSP development kits by then.

So that may be days or weeks, or not happen at all if we get kits during my exams.

I'm quite confused about the audio issue. Probably what would be best to do is to look into it after we've fixed our memory issues (in case it's related).
oh! i hope then that whe will have you for a bit before they get the kit
as for the bug definitly the mem bug are more important and it could definitly be related to the sound
ataxy

Post by ataxy »

hey i was wondering what are the next step that are intending on working on is it the meme issue or are you working on the lighting
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

For me, it's memory management. It really needs to be fixed.

I've no idea what Chris wants to work on or when he's got spare time.

ataxy

Post by ataxy »

ok, i guess you are currently in your exam period so good luck!
ataxy

Post by ataxy »

hey i was wondering if there was anyway to load quake mod without the onscreen key board, like inplement it in a config file like click select and choose mod
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

There's no way to specify a game folder other than ID1, but you can probably replace the pak files with your own or add them on after pak1.pak.

pak0.pak & pak1.pak - full Quake game
pak2.pak = first pak from the mod
pak3.pak = second pak from the mod
etc

You probably can't use mods with the shareware Quake pak, but it's maybe worth a try anyway if you don't own the full version.

Let me know how you get on - ensuring that mods work with shareware Quake (if possible) was on my to do list ages ago but I lost it.

ataxy

Post by ataxy »

well i tryed with navyseal and it boots and it freezes when it gets to the to load the config also tryed the cs mod that was made by sealth kill and i get up to the menu and when i try to start the single player the psp freezes and shuts down ill try other later
sectoid

Post by sectoid »

Good, I was hoping someone would start messing around with the quake code.. I was considering attempting to port it myself when i came across the pspGL library.
I suggest using some of the GLQuakeWorld source tree too...
A while back I was searching around looking at different projects that stemmed from the GLQW source, One project's initial log entries stated they had combined the GLQuake and GLQuakeWorld trees to prove that the source trees were very compatible with each other.
It'd definitely be handy to be able to either connect to an internet game(QW) or host a game between multiple localized PSPs depending on the situation.
I'll help with the effort once I finish up with another PSP project I'm working on atm.
Stealth Kill

Post by Stealth Kill »

How cna I add adhoc from v2 to v3
i tried it but cygwin says

what should i do?
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

We still need to work on networking in v3, so you'll have to wait. It's probably not just a case of simply compiling the old networking files!

The error messages pretty much tell you what the problems are if you understand the C compilation and linking process.

PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Stealth Kill :

I am deeply disappointed that you have released a new version of CS Combined Assault based on our unreleased Quake code, especially after I explicitly requested that people didn't publish Quake builds before it was done.

Here are a few tips:
* Credit the authors. We did do most of the work after all.
* Respect the GPL and publish your code.
* Wait until code is done before stealing it.

I've contacted QJ.net, where you typically do your releases, and advised them of your behaviour.

Peter

mike343

Post by mike343 »

Good luck PeterM. I'm very interested in your work, as I have always loved Quake. Thanks for your hard work, and all the best.
ataxy

Post by ataxy »

I am really sad to see that some user did not respect your request not to release it PeterM i hope this wont restrict our capacity to test some of the new code privately
oh by the way i am happy to see you are still with us pete
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Cheers for the support guys.

ataxy

Post by ataxy »

hey there chris and pete any news of what is happening or about to show on the horizon is there any form of omega release that whe will be able to try soon
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

I don't think I can do any more work on Quake, but I'll make sure the bug tracker is up to date with my thoughts on how various bugs can be resolved.

ataxy

Post by ataxy »

oh! sad to ear, but i am happy for you i wish you a bright futur
MDave

Post by MDave »

I figured I'd post in this thread instead about my sound problems.

I can't for the life of me fix the sound problem with the latest psp sdk :P
I've messed around with some of the variables in sound.cpp but no luck.

I don't get any errors, and I don't know what changed in the sdk's sound library to change whatever it did to make the sound as it is now.

I'm trying to help improve on the hardware version, and so far have got model animation interpolations in (cvar option).

Building a mod from scratch for the psp using the engine, ya see :P

Also, know where I can find info or examples on the psp's gu fog hardware functions?

EDIT: ahh found out how to use fog, looks pretty nifty!
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Yes, I'm not at all sure what's up with the sound.

It worked fine with an old old SDK.
It was broken with an old SDK.
It worked fine with a recent SDK.
It is broken with the newest SDK.

It might be worth checking out the SVN history for the SDK, but I'm quite surprised audio changes are still being made.

I can't for the life of me see anything dodgy I'm doing in the Quake audio code but maybe someone more familiar with the audio portions of the SDK could be more helpful.

MDave

Post by MDave »

Right, I think I've found when/where the change was done to break quake's sound in the SDK svn, HERE

But when you click on either;

trunk/pspsdk/sdk/audio/pspaudiolib.c
trunk/pspsdk/sdk/audio/pspaudiolib.h

to view the file logs, it tells me "File not found" for both of them :( just when I thought I was getting close! Paco's patch is about 20 months ago though :o so I'm not sure if that is the patch to break it.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

MDave wrote:Right, I think I've found when/where the change was done to break quake's sound in the SDK svn, HERE
What makes you think that?
Rev 1145 changed the prototype of the callback function.
If you were hitting a problem because of this, it would have given you a very clear compiler error.

Nothing has changed in the SDK relating to pspaudio in a long time. Can you find a specific SVN revision where things do work and a specific revision where they don't?
MDave

Post by MDave »

Towards the end of my post I said I didn't think that could of been the problem, but I can't seem to find anything else in the svn sdk revison history with related audio problems that could effect quake.

You would have to ask PeterM for the specific SVN revision where things do work, though.

I don't think the code for quake's audio is cleaning up properly before a new sample is placed into the audio buffer (hence why I hear noise during sound playback), because when I commented out the code for cleaning up the buffer, there was no change. How it worked before and how it doesn't now is what I'm trying to figure out.

Here is the sound.cpp if anyone can take a look and see any problems HERE