PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

First try to get it to work with file playback (I've posted a link above). When that works move on to dbox streaming and I recommend to use neutrinoTV in combination with vlc 0.8.4a for that.
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

I've been using this since you released it... I really miss the option to browse folders, is this something you plan to add?

BTW. I changed fps from 20->25 and dropped the kbs to 600, this has worked fine for my musicvideos...

Also it's advised not to have more than ~20 files in the streaming folder since it takes alot of time (if even possible) to load folders with more files...

I've yet to try live streaming but, I'll give it ago in a while...

Best regards and great work once again!
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

digihoe wrote:BTW. I changed fps from 20->25 and dropped the kbs to 600, this has worked fine for my musicvideos...

Also it's advised not to have more than ~20 files in the streaming folder since it takes alot of time (if even possible) to load folders with more files...
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for :)
The directory thingie I will have to look into (prolly for v0.0.9)

In short for v0.0.8 we'll have support for DVD/SVCD playback and vlc 0.8.5 ...
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

OK, I kind of used LiveTV... My HTPC software is VLC compatible, that means that VLC can open the timeshift files that the HTPC software produces while they are being produced... That means I can open them in the Video folder and foward till I'm 1 sec behind the recording (if I go to the end VLC will stop since it thinks the video has ended).
My HTPC software also produces a new file for every channel change, so that way I can change channel (if I could change the channel with the PSP, I can using the Link2 browser but neither here or there)...

However after about 10 min viewing my "LiveTV" the screen produces a bluescreen but flips back to video so I can't really say what it says, I can then restar the video... Strange...

Great work, will be looking forward to DVD support :-)
Bigby

Post by Bigby »

I trying to stream video to the PSP

I see my video directory, but when I choose any video file the screen just stays at the loading screen (I,ve also tried the sp02.avi)

I think my problem is that the PSP is not on port 8080 (pmp.ini is edited for 8080)

The PSP port is usually around 53165 - 55000

Ive checked this using "statistics" monitoring on norton internet security
psp

Post by psp »

can it play full speed avi on psp? (not streams, from memmory card)
Bigby

Post by Bigby »

psp wrote:can it play full speed avi on psp? (not streams, from memmory card)
Yes, I can play avi, mp4, pmp etc.. on memory card
karl

Post by karl »

Port 8080 is for VLC server running on your computer.

Try going to http://localhost:8080 and you should get a vlc web based player control page
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Arg, it sounds like a fantastic app, i hope it can work with VLC 0.8.5 soon!
The reason is because my Tvtuner (toshiba mpeg2 tv encoder) ONLY works with 0.8.5, talk about luck :/
See you!

Alcahest
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

version 0.0.8 with VLC 0.8.5 and DVD/VCD support will be released in a few hours
aface

Post by aface »

sounds good. I can test with 0.8.5 support. I plan on testing with my capture card.

Is there anything in particular you'd like tested?

Alex
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Would be nice to get feedback on usage of PMP VLC with capture cards and other exotic stream sources. Also welcome are hints as to optimal transcode parameter (vb, fps, etc)
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

PMP VLC 0.0.8 is released
See first post in this thread

EDIT: just noticed a small bug. New upload in a few minutes
EDIT2: upload is finished
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

OK, thanks to your great guide (first page), I was able to test LiveTV through VLC (It detected my tv-tuner card, my biggest problem was finding what channel to use, since 1,2,3 etc is no channel)...

However I was not able to use your newest version 008, since it does not work at all for me using WiFi...

Another problem I had was that I only get video and no audio ;-( But the video is quite fluent at 600kbs (faster movment cause little jumps, not much though), will try 550kbs.
EDIT! Tryed 550kbs with 48kbs audio (horrible audio but acceptable), video movement cause about the same jumps (not really a big issue) EDIT!

I think AVC would be great, since the lower resource needs on the PSP, too bad VLC don't do PMP :-)

Great Work! Hope you can patch up and fix 008 though...

Do you have any advise on the audio issue?

EDIT! Stupid me I did not look for other device names... Now audio works too EDIT!

Best regards and keep up the great work!
milcis

Post by milcis »

just a question: PMP VLC works on FW 2.xx ??
because i had test with 2.5 and that shutdown my psp ^^
Bob535

Post by Bob535 »

I am still unable to get this to work with 0.8

Connection Diagnostic shows an IP pulled from the Router (192.168.1.100)
I am able to access the VLC file entries via browser on a different computer.

Program still does not list files for watching. Only dummy files exist.

Couple of questions, since the PSP is behind a router and the computer being accessed for VLC is not, are there any changes that need to be made to the router? Thats the only thing I can think of at this time as being the problem.

The computer with vlc has no firewall, I have uninstalled and reinstalled vlc, etc.

Update1: Port forwarded port 8080 to the psp ip address on the router, files now list. Checking to see if I can get shit to run now.
Jim

Post by Jim »

What a massive improvement! Keep going with this, it's great.
Thanks,
Jim
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Bob535 wrote:Update1: Port forwarded port 8080 to the psp ip address on the router, files now list. Checking to see if I can get shit to run now.
Yes, portforwarding is needed for any port you have set in pmp.ini
And, does it work now?

@Jim: Thx! You can now watch soccer on a small screen too ;)
GinSoakedBoy

Post by GinSoakedBoy »

Great release, which I have running pretty well.

I'm having trouble getting live streams to work. Firstly I'm a bit unsure as to what type of stream can be used as podcasts dont seem to work. Also, the example you gave doesn't work.

Also, I've noticed that setting a directory with spaces in the name doesnt seem to work. E.g. for me I put:

'D:\Stuff\Films and TV\' and the videos folder, so to get the files to stream I have to move them to ''D:\Stuff\'.

Anyway, just a couple of minor issues. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Forgot to ask, will the ability to browse sub folders be added to a future release?
pt-1

Post by pt-1 »

Are there any screenshots of that application ?

Keep the good work up

PT-1
Bob535

Post by Bob535 »

Yes it works with the PSP's IP having 8080 forwarded. From your documentation it had seemed to be 8080 on the server computer.

This makes it difficult to travel and use this program as getting access to the port forwarding for the wireless someone is using around town can be difficult or impossible. Any plans to look into a way to circumvent this requirement?
Obiwantje

Can't get the WiFI to "come on"

Post by Obiwantje »

I must be the only one that has this problem? I set up just 1 profile for a network in my PSP, named it "1" and it is a infrastructure WEP encrypted type connection.
In the PSP network menu is works as intended (test gave correct IP adress, WiFi light came on)

In PMPVLC however (both version 0.7 and 0.8) I can't get it to start up any network (the Wifi light does not come on) when I press the right trigger....

I've tried con=0, con=1 and con=2 but all to no avail.... I must be doing something silly wrong?

Can anybody point me to some more thing to try?
PS: PSP v1.50

Enclosed the [net] part of my pmp.ini:
[/code]
[net]
con = 1;
vlc = 1;
vlc_server = 192.168.1.102;
vlc_port = 8080;
pmp_server = 192.168.1.102;
pmp_port = 3333;
debug = 0;
videopath = x:\My Movies\;
musicpath = x:\My Music\;
dvd_drive = P:
[\code]
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Bob535 wrote:Yes it works with the PSP's IP having 8080 forwarded. From your documentation it had seemed to be 8080 on the server computer.
I have to test that. Is your config as follows: PSP gets NATted IP from router and VLC server has a public IP and is listening on port 8080?

@Obiwantje: after pressing right trigger you must press Select and choose a menu item (e.g. video). Then the green wlan led will turn on and stay on until you exit the program.

@pt-1: I hope someone will post a few pics of PMP VLC in action.

@GinSoakedBoy:
I tried
musicpath = D:\MyMusic\My Music;
and it worked fine

Browse subdir support hopefully in a future version.

Next priorities are:
- improve videoperformance by using jonny's GU routines as in PMP 2.01
- a version for fw2.01+ users
milcis

Post by milcis »

i'm happy to see your Next priorities.
- a version for fw2.01+ users
and it will be a pleasure to test this :)
GinSoakedBoy

Post by GinSoakedBoy »

Cheers Jocky. I'm still a not managing to get a network stream opened on vlc. I found this: 'http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/tim ... stream.asx' which works on media player but only plays the intro video and not the stream. Is this the wrong kind of stream or is there something I need to do to get it to work?
aface

Post by aface »

Initial test of tv tuner card worked with a little fiddling. All settings as per the initial ones jocky gave as recommended.

Shot of channel 10 (australia) working well psp

Setup:
AMD XP2100+ (1.7GHz)
1gb Ram
Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe Tuner Card
Netgear wireless hub (running at 54mb/s)

More tests to come.

Alex
Bob535

Post by Bob535 »

If my understanding of the definition of NAT is correct, yes, that is the way I have things set up.

Great program though, everything seems to be working for me now.

Future Suggestions:

File names remove directory path, this is fine for files in D:\Music\ but not for files in D:\Music\Some Artist's Long Name\Some Albums Long Name\ when the actual file name is off the screen to the right.

Changing directories (which you already have) in mind, a basic implementation of this is a multiple directory listing in the ini file numbered 1->n with a directory selection screen added in place of the Video/Music/Stream screen. Keeping stream a seperate option of course. This would allow us to preselect a decent number of directories for playback.

Addition of the Connecting status information for all connection attempts.

You hang out on any PSP IRC Channels? Love to chat with you sometime if you do.
Porkape

Post by Porkape »

Thanks a lot for this great app. It works great except for a little issue with TV viewing. My line-in port on my soundcard isn't detected by my TV card for some reason so I have been using the mic port for audio input from the TV card and it works fine when watching TV using the ATI utility/Winamp etc. However when I open capture device through VLC it doesn't have sound. Is there a way to specify the audio input in VLC? I did try to change it when you pick "Open Capture Device" but it didn't work. Any help will be appreciated. Cheers
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

@GinSoakedBoy: That has to do with the url. Just start VLC and select Open Network Stream. Start playback and you see it stops after the Earthlink splash screen

@aface and @Porkape:
could you post a screenshot of the DirectShow dialog. Are the video and audio devices shown in the listboxes or do you simply take 'default'?
EDIT: no need for that screenshot. I overlooked the "Refresh list" buttons which must be clicked before selecting a video or audio capture device in the DirectShow dialog ...

@Bob535:
- File names remove directory path: good point
- multiple directory listing: to begin with I will add 5 video and music dirs in pmp.ini which the user can optionally use. When video or music is selected the directory listing will concatenate up to 5 dirs
- connecting status information: good point, there should be a menu item for that in the gui. My main problem is that I'm not so interested in gui programming. As soon as my priority list is done I'll start thinking on that.
- chatting in PSP IRC: perhaps in near future, fttb I'm busy enough both professionally and private
Reng

Post by Reng »

Hi Jockyw,

First of all, thanks for the great app. I've been hoping to see a vlc client for psp for some time, and yours works perfectly. I've tested it with streaming TV, videos, mp3s, and dvds.

I was wondering if theres any way you could set up some sort of command line interface for the client? Even something that could read commands from a config file would be great. A feature like this would make the client alot more customizable. Currently, I'm using the vlc playlist interface through http to change my TV channels, but its a little tedious to have to quit the client, load up the links2 browser and change it in there. If the client could read from a config file containing a list of commands and display it as a simple menu list, it would be awesome.

Keep up the great work!