LUA vs SDK?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Ghengis

LUA vs SDK?

Post by Ghengis »

Hey all,

I'm planning on starting my own homebrew game, which would be my first for the PSP. I wanted to ask both communities (LUA and SDK) to "sell" me on their platform. I have read the docs for both (well, not *all* the docs, but a lot of wiki stuff, forum posts, etc.) and I get the impression that a lot of people think LUA is not as capable, but the SDK is hard/complicated. If it matters:

-My background is mostly C++/Java
-I have done some embedded C programming
-I don't know LUA, but the syntax looks easy enough -- reminds me a bit of VB/Javascript (no declaration!)
-The game will be a 2D top-down space shooter, scrolling on both axes
-I'd like to implement the engine as 2D sprites mapped to 3D objects, so I can easily zoom the view in and out (hardware scaling, basically), but I don't know much about working with 3D
-I'll figure out sound and music when time permits; my priority is to get the engine going

Does anybody have a good reason to pick one platform or the other? Perhaps some pointers for good places to get started? I already have one or two Lua tutorials; my SDK references are less complete. I'm going to cross-post this to the other forum for maximum response.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development