Controller for the PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

xCloud

Controller for the PSP

Post by xCloud »

How can you make an adapter from the serial connection (which is by the headphones) to a ps2 or a usbconnection.

I think that could work since the controller that comes with the core pack works. All we need is an adapter to work by getting singles from the controller to the serial.

So any ideas how to build one?
Art

Post by Art »

Although an adapter could be made that way with a microcontroller,
PSP software doesn't look at the serial port for joypad commands, so it
wouldn't work with any software that wasn't written to support it.
AkumaATR

Post by AkumaATR »

I posted something about wanting to do this months back, but few people responded. Couldn't a background thread (from a custom program) do the translation from PS2 input coming in over the serial connection -> PSP input events?

Check out this thread:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... 9da071903a
futaris

Post by futaris »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but someone was trying to do this for Pocket PCs a while ago. See this link.

Anyhow, it's possible, since PSPLink does it through the USB async driver.
kyriptic

Post by kyriptic »

doesn't one of the psp2tv adapter things let u hook up a ps2 controller? but i'm guessing they used internal points to get this? Does anyone know i wouldn't mind making my own custome ps2 controller port for the psp :)
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

Yeah the tv adapter did it all internally, made you replace the FPC that added the ps2 controller port poking out the bottom of your psp.
kyriptic

Post by kyriptic »

anyone know where they bypassed the psp contols to the ps2 port?
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

Are there any schematics for how the PSP2TV works?

The ability to use a PS2 pad to input to the PSP would be superb, forget outputting to the TV.

I'd even be happy with cannibalizing the PSP2TV FPC and ditching the slot on the bottom (I take it that all the pins wouldn't be needed due to not requiring the video feed) to use a more elegant method of getting the signal to the PS2 pad interface.

Or would it be possible to use fine gauge wire and splicing into the FPC for a piggyback input?

Some basic information on how the whole control input process actually works in the PSP would be appreciated.
defor

Post by defor »

I have a PSP2TV, and while the interfacing for the LCD seems pretty genius, the controller integration is shoddy at best- replaces the normal film pads for the buttons with ones with spare leads directly out of the psp-no encoding, etc- to the PSP2TV holder which contains the custom controller chips for decoding the ps2 controller signals and simply acting as a remote switch board to override the contacts of the psp...