Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

J.F. wrote:.smi files are self-mounting images. It's an executable program that mounts a disk image on the desktop. If you download a .smi file to a PC, you just lost the executable part of the file. .smi files usually come as binhex or hqx files. Leave it that way until you have it on the Mac, then decode it with StuffIt Expander. At that point it will be a proper Mac program you can run.
Ok, so I have 19 part.bin files, and no Mac. Any advice on where to go from here?
RyanfromtheShire

Post by RyanfromtheShire »

GG-Xtreme wrote:I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to ask this, but can anyone help me in the unpacking of the System_7.5.3.smi that Apple has up for download? I don't own a Mac, I don't know anyone who owns a Mac, and I can't install Mac OS unless someone with a Mac can unpack the above file and create a ROM. I heard it is in a 6-floppy-disk format though, will that work with Basilisk II PSP? I am also unsure if I correctly stitched the 19 part.bin files together (all I did was use the Windows 'copy /b *.* System_7.5.3.smi' command).
You can go here and download the package dennis made, that already has a 7.5.5 ROM made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhr3JBHazPE
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

RyanfromtheShire wrote:
GG-Xtreme wrote:I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to ask this, but can anyone help me in the unpacking of the System_7.5.3.smi that Apple has up for download? I don't own a Mac, I don't know anyone who owns a Mac, and I can't install Mac OS unless someone with a Mac can unpack the above file and create a ROM. I heard it is in a 6-floppy-disk format though, will that work with Basilisk II PSP? I am also unsure if I correctly stitched the 19 part.bin files together (all I did was use the Windows 'copy /b *.* System_7.5.3.smi' command).
You can go here and download the package dennis made, that already has a 7.5.5 ROM made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhr3JBHazPE
Thank you very much for your help, that was exactly what I needed. However, since the download doesn't come with an installer image, I appear to be limited to the 30MB hardfile. Is there a way to change this, as I have been unable to get StuffIt to expand any bin files on the MS0 volume.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You can add three more hardfiles to the emulation. You don't HAVE to have EVERYTHING in one hardfile. ;)

Oh, the problem writing to the external filesystem is known and common on many platforms. I don't think anyone has really figured out what causes that exactly. I'll probably look into it myself later. I'm about burned out on B2 at the moment. :)
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

J.F. wrote:You can add three more hardfiles to the emulation. You don't HAVE to have EVERYTHING in one hardfile. ;)

Oh, the problem writing to the external filesystem is known and common on many platforms. I don't think anyone has really figured out what causes that exactly. I'll probably look into it myself later. I'm about burned out on B2 at the moment. :)
Doh! I just kept staring at the Volumes screen, looking for a way to edit the volume, when the file options were right there. Thanks for the help, I've got it running great now, although I wish I still had a Mac OS 8.0 CD.
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

Sorry for double-posting, but I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to: why can't virtual memory be enabled in Mac OS 8.1? The help menu suggests that it can, but there's no option in the Memory window. It turns out that Mac OS 8.1 is using up most of my 13MB of RAM all on it's own, and I can't run any programs, besides basics like Calculator and SimpleText.

Edit: I was able to fix both of my installations using Basilisk II JIT. Apparently, cfm-68k Runtime Enabler should be disabled before it starts causing problems.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

GG-Xtreme wrote:Sorry for double-posting, but I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to: why can't virtual memory be enabled in Mac OS 8.1? The help menu suggests that it can, but there's no option in the Memory window. It turns out that Mac OS 8.1 is using up most of my 13MB of RAM all on it's own, and I can't run any programs, besides basics like Calculator and SimpleText.

Edit: I was able to fix both of my installations using Basilisk II JIT. Apparently, cfm-68k Runtime Enabler should be disabled before it starts causing problems.
There's no MMU emulation in B2. Even if there was, I would have disabled it on the PSP since it would be too slow to be usable. So no VM. If I ever get around to adding JIT to the PSP version, I'll look at adding VM support.

In the meantime, use the Extensions Manager control panel to turn off as much junk as possible in OS8 to get back your memory and to run faster.
Wally

Post by Wally »

im curious to why Phrase Craze Plus does not work..

Thats one of my favourite games of all time!

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wouldn't know - don't have it. There's quite a few things B2 won't run. I might look into some of the ones that I like... like Myst or Solarian II.
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

J.F. wrote:There's no MMU emulation in B2. Even if there was, I would have disabled it on the PSP since it would be too slow to be usable. So no VM. If I ever get around to adding JIT to the PSP version, I'll look at adding VM support.
Oh damn, I forgot about the lack of an MMU. I guess there would be no point if it actually slowed things down, I was just wondering what could be done to increase the speed, since the PSP's processor is already much faster than a 68k (even though it is being emulated) and the RAM seemed one of the few things below spec.

Edit: Also, is no one going to post the download for the new V1.1 here?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

GG-Xtreme wrote:
Edit: Also, is no one going to post the download for the new V1.1 here?
It's just test build 20 with a readme.
faisaljasnak

Great Application

Post by faisaljasnak »

Hi JF.

First of all Great Application.

Its very Stable Port of Mac, thanks for making it, i was using 7.5 MacOS, now i just Got MacOS 8.0 and today i'll test it as well. Its very Great to see that kind of development for PSP. I wonder how much speed i get when i install Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop :).

Cheers & Enjoy
J.F.

Re: Great Application

Post by J.F. »

faisaljasnak wrote:Hi JF.

Its very Stable Port of Mac, thanks for making it, i was using 7.5 MacOS, now i just Got MacOS 8.0 and today i'll test it as well. Its very Great to see that kind of development for PSP. I wonder how much speed i get when i install Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop :).

Cheers & Enjoy
Why do people keep talking about running PS and AI on this? :D

I suppose it should work better than in B2 on a stock Amiga 1200 with some fast RAM.
faisaljasnak

Re: Great Application

Post by faisaljasnak »

J.F. wrote:
faisaljasnak wrote:Hi JF.

Cheers & Enjoy
Why do people keep talking about running PS and AI on this? :D

I suppose it should work better than in B2 on a stock Amiga 1200 with some fast RAM.
because i'm a designer :) thats the only reason to run MacOS on PSP :)
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Hey can it run Mac OS 6.x? I installed it, then when I boot with it, it says It's in 32-bit, it needs to change to 24-bit, so I clicked 24-bit button and then black screen, then the XMB came up.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:Hey can it run Mac OS 6.x? I installed it, then when I boot with it, it says It's in 32-bit, it needs to change to 24-bit, so I clicked 24-bit button and then black screen, then the XMB came up.
No, B2 isn't designed to use System 6 or 24-bit mode. Did you read the readme? 7.0.1 or better.

B2 used to support a vMac like "Classic" mode with older ROMs, but it hasn't worked in years as all the development the people put into it was making new 32-bit 7.x/8.x work on PCs.
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

I know that Mac OS 7.X doesn't support widescreen resolutions, but in this shot of Basilisk II PSP, the text does not appear stretched on the widescreen display:
Does anybody know how this was done? When I set my PSP to 16:9, things look very stretched, not like that image. Is that image a fake or something (it was featured on psp-hacks.com for the Test 20 release)?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

GG-Xtreme wrote:I know that Mac OS 7.X doesn't support widescreen resolutions, but in this shot of Basilisk II PSP, the text does not appear stretched on the widescreen display:
Does anybody know how this was done? When I set my PSP to 16:9, things look very stretched, not like that image. Is that image a fake or something (it was featured on psp-hacks.com for the Test 20 release)?
The old port by ChaosKnight only did 480x272. The problem is that any mode smaller than 512x384 is going to have problems in Color QuickDraw, so I don't allow it. But that's why that doesn't look stretched... because it isn't. I could add a widescreen mode to the list that wouldn't look stretched despite being scaled. I'll do that for the next update.
GG-Xtreme

Post by GG-Xtreme »

I'd really appreciate that option, you are awesome.

Edit: If 480×272 has problems, what about a bigger widescreen resolution?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

GG-Xtreme wrote:I'd really appreciate that option, you are awesome.

Edit: If 480×272 has problems, what about a bigger widescreen resolution?
That's what i mean - I'll add 640x360 and 768x432.
pradav

Post by pradav »

i havent been able to access my memstick from the os!..i have tried 7.5.3,7.6.1,and even os8.1!..all i get is a ms0 drive icon on my desktop and when i open it,it shows as empty!
In the info part it shows as unrecognized disk!...
it also mentions 1023mb empty!..while mine is 2 gb one!

please help!!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

pradav wrote:i havent been able to access my memstick from the os!..i have tried 7.5.3,7.6.1,and even os8.1!..all i get is a ms0 drive icon on my desktop and when i open it,it shows as empty!
In the info part it shows as unrecognized disk!...
it also mentions 1023mb empty!..while mine is 2 gb one!

please help!!
B2 always sets the free space to 1GB, not matter how much or how little is actually there. You could have 3 bytes free or 3GB free and it'll still say 1023 MB. You must put files into the "files" directory to show up in the drive. I don't allow you to browse the ENTIRE stick because it's kinda flakey. It'd rather have people only screw up one folder on the stick rather than the entire stick. :)
pradav

Post by pradav »

Thanks J.f for the quick reply!...
would really love if i could access the entire mem stick!..i know os 7 and os 8 are really old but they are still pretty good operating system!..i would love u to use basilisk to move the files around my memstick..that would be one good practical use for having basilisk on our psp,as a file manager!!!

another question is what would be the emulated frquency archieved by basilisk..i mean we know psp runs at 333 mhz..but what would be the frequency archieved by basilisk to emulate the os..????
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

pradav wrote:Thanks J.f for the quick reply!...
would really love if i could access the entire mem stick!..i know os 7 and os 8 are really old but they are still pretty good operating system!..i would love u to use basilisk to move the files around my memstick..that would be one good practical use for having basilisk on our psp,as a file manager!!!
No, the Mac is a HORRIBLE file manager as it uses crazy-file-format(TM). It's always been the weakest point of a Mac. Apple doesn't care as they've never intended to interoperate with anyone else. They can ignore everyone else as they're not a monopoly like MS.
another question is what would be the emulated frquency archieved by basilisk..i mean we know psp runs at 333 mhz..but what would be the frequency archieved by basilisk to emulate the os..????
If varies by the task, but B2-PSP at 333MHz runs about 20-30 MHz 030. The main reason is the emulated CPU runs in direct mode where addresses aren't translated. The only concession made is to add an offset that handles the fact that the memory doesn't actually start at 0. Add onto that the fact that NO Mac hardware is emulated - the underlying subsystems like video and ADB are trapped and simulated at a higher level. Those are the primary reasons you get such speed out of the PSP with B2.

This is in sharp contrast to UAE where the CPU MUST run in mapped mode, and you have some really complex hardware to simulate in addition to the CPU.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote:If varies by the task, but B2-PSP at 333MHz runs about 20-30 MHz 030. The main reason is the emulated CPU runs in direct mode where addresses aren't translated. The only concession made is to add an offset that handles the fact that the memory doesn't actually start at 0. Add onto that the fact that NO Mac hardware is emulated - the underlying subsystems like video and ADB are trapped and simulated at a higher level. Those are the primary reasons you get such speed out of the PSP with B2.
Boy, i wish it was this way with dosbox.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:
J.F. wrote:If varies by the task, but B2-PSP at 333MHz runs about 20-30 MHz 030. The main reason is the emulated CPU runs in direct mode where addresses aren't translated. The only concession made is to add an offset that handles the fact that the memory doesn't actually start at 0. Add onto that the fact that NO Mac hardware is emulated - the underlying subsystems like video and ADB are trapped and simulated at a higher level. Those are the primary reasons you get such speed out of the PSP with B2.
Boy, i wish it was this way with dosbox.
I know what you mean... I've been playing around with UAE code this last week, and it's not going to get above stock A500 speed with the code as it is. Both UAE and dosbox really need to be rewritten from scratch in assembly to get decent speeds on the PSP - just like back when the PC used 200-400 MHz PII processors.
Moneyslap03

Post by Moneyslap03 »

nice i like what you have done to basilisk i had fell off basilisk and now im back on due to your presence will there be support for psp camera im not sure if mac 7-8 had a webcam chat but will there be support for psp camera when internet access is available

edit: oh yeah will you work on bochs?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Moneyslap03 wrote:nice i like what you have done to basilisk i had fell off basilisk and now im back on due to your presence will there be support for psp camera im not sure if mac 7-8 had a webcam chat but will there be support for psp camera when internet access is available

edit: oh yeah will you work on bochs?
I don't see web-cams in B2... pretty much anything that isn't in the regular B2 won't be in the port. I can make some small improvements, but not add major features like web-cams. That's more work than I'm willing to put into it.

I have no intention of working on bochs. If I did any kind of PC emulator, it would be a port of PCx for the PowerMac.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

How do you like my new avatar? Me LOVE Happy Tree Friends!!! Who else?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:How do you like my new avatar? Me LOVE Happy Tree Friends!!! Who else?
Look, it doesn't matter how good the Happy Tree Friends are (and they're better than sliced bread). This is a development site. Don't pollute the threads with stuff like this. Even if we allowed posts like this (and we don't), this is the wrong forum for it. Even if we had a forum for posts like this (and the only one close is the Hall of Shame), you don't make posts like this in other people's threads on an unrelated topic.