Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Wally

Post by Wally »

omba wrote:good news about ie 4.5, im gona try to see if 5 works with 7.61 also thanks for the quicktime

Edit:
with a few hacks ie 5 works well in 7.61
Why do you want to run IE?

Netscape works better and uses MUCH less memory..

Its not as if networking will magically work for any reason

Pointless.

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I suppose you can read offline html docs, but there's not much need for that. There's also older JAVA stuff, but that stuff is pretty old. The browser in the PSP would probably be better for that sort of thing.

I suppose the main reason try these things is just simply to see if it can be done.
omba

Post by omba »

yup
Frek

Post by Frek »

J.F. wrote:I suppose you can read offline html docs, but there's not much need for that. There's also older JAVA stuff, but that stuff is pretty old. The browser in the PSP would probably be better for that sort of thing.

I suppose the main reason try these things is just simply to see if it can be done.
Thats true about Netscape and Explorer, but I think the Macbrowser iCab been updated for the 68k pretty recently and supports atleast the same features the builtin PSP browser does.
But it probably doesn't do CSS or anything alike...
Wally

Post by Wally »

Frek wrote:
J.F. wrote:I suppose you can read offline html docs, but there's not much need for that. There's also older JAVA stuff, but that stuff is pretty old. The browser in the PSP would probably be better for that sort of thing.

Thats true about Netscape and Explorer, but I think the Macbrowser iCab been updated for the 68k pretty recently and supports atleast the same features the builtin PSP browser does.
But it probably doesn't do CSS or anything alike...
iCab does so do CSS :)

Wally
Frek

Post by Frek »

Wally4000 wrote: iCab does so do CSS :)

Wally
Not on 68k does it?
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Hey J.F. there's a bug that really bugs me, most of the time when I'm copying/extracting files it get stuck at certain point. Like when I'm unstuffing some file, it just stand and hang there, but I can still move the cursor. Can you somehow fix it?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

dennis96411: This may be the bug I was talking about which was supposed to have been fixed. Try pressing the SELECT key when it happens to get the keymaps menu, and see if it gets "unstuck".
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Hey, I've got the Mac OS 8 CD on the desktop, I went in, and click on Install Mac OS 8, but then I got this error: The program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information. What?! I was this close to getting there! HELP!!!

EDIT: Oh never mind, change the model to Quadra 900 and now I'm doing it baby!

EDIT2: Piece of crap! It always get stuck!
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:Hey J.F. there's a bug that really bugs me, most of the time when I'm copying/extracting files it get stuck at certain point. Like when I'm unstuffing some file, it just stand and hang there, but I can still move the cursor. Can you somehow fix it?
Unstuffing is VERY slow on the PSP. It's slow on anything using an emulated 68K, but for RISC chips, it's even slower. Why? Because decompressing is lots of complex BYTE operations. RISC chips work on full-sized data (longwords in the case of the PSP), not bytes. So there's lots of shifting and masking going on in addition to the main operation performed. So where a file might take three or four minutes to unstuff on a real 68K Mac, it would take ten times than on the PSP. I normally start a file unstuffing and let it sit while I do something else.

It's particularly aggravating on the Slim because you can devote much more ram to the Mac, so StuffIt has more ram to use as buffers. The read is barely longer in time since it's faster, but it sits much longer unstuffing from the buffers with no visible activity since it's just going to/from memory. You'll sit for 10 minutes, then see a flurry of drive activity, then sit for another 10 minutes.

EDIT: Oh, yeah - one other thing. Some of you folks use the 68040 setting. Any setting with an FPU means NO PROGRESS BARS in OS8. There's an issue with OS where scroll bars and progress bars don't work due to the FPU emulation not being perfect. So you won't get ANY indication that an operation is progressing until it's actually done. If you want progress bars and scrolls bars, you need to use a CPU setting without an FPU... at least until I can do something about that.
omba

Post by omba »

icab would be the best choice for me i think, so if networking could work,than we could use a web browser, and maybe transfer flash 9 to the hardfile, but i dont think itl work for classic macs will it?

i want a better browser than opera mini, if only it had flashlite support
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

So which CPU is better? 68040, 68030, or 68020?
Also, I've installed Mac OS 8, but it always hang at startup. So what now? And, if you used Select to unstuck once already, you cannot use it again. I got stuck while loading halfway. What do I do? For now, I can only use Mac 7.5.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

yust install mac os 8 using the b2 pc then transfer that hardfile to the psp its the easyest and quickest way to install mac os 8, truest me i installed 7.5 from scratch on the psp took me about 40 to 60 minutes maybe more
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I think I have a handle on what the underlying bug is... seems to be a bug in the B2 interrupt sub-system. I'm doing some testing now, but I hope I can finally put this to rest.

The problem seems to be an issue with slow computers. The vertical blank task on the Mac runs at a level that allows interrupts. However, one of those interrupts is the vertical blank (60 Hz timer to be exact). On a fast system, this doesn't pos a problem. The VBL task is a minor amount of the time. On a SLOW computer (and the PSP qualifies at only ~ 300MHz), the VBL task can take long enough that another 60Hz timer interrupt occurs while it's still doing the last one (depends on how bogged down the PSP is, like decompressing sit files or running benchmarks). Now here's the problem - the B2 interrupt handler clears the interrupt flag before starting the emulated Mac interrupt handler. This means that since the VBL task runs with interrupts on and the interrupt flag is clear, another 60Hz interrupt can occur inside the VBL task. The damn 60Hz interrupt is RECURSIVE!

My "fix" is to not clear the 60Hz interrupt flag until AFTER the Mac interrupt handler is done. The Mac can still get bogged down, but it can't recurse anymore (at least, not with the 60Hz int). That keeps it from getting into a state where nothing seems to be happening, but the mouse moves perfectly (a symptom of the recursion).

Unstuffing is still slow, but it doesn't take forever anymore either. Unstuffing was one of those things that could bog down the mac.

I'll post another test build this evening after some more testing.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Here's test 18. Cross your fingers and hope this fixes it ONCE AND FOR ALL. If you're any decent at beta testing, you'll notice the new PSP setting for relaxed timing on the 60 Hz IRQ. When enabled, the 60 Hz timer waits about 16 ms from whatever the time currently is, so you get the 60 Hz IRQ about 60 times a sec, but no guarantees. Disabled uses the default B2 code to try to maintain a drift-free 60 Hz interrupt. This naturally uses more time and can bog down the Mac depending on what else is going on. The default is relaxed timing, which is much smoother.

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

Nice Work JF wooohoooo games are muuuuuch more synched now than ever before configuring my keys to see if i can play doom =D
Last edited by siulmagic on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:Nice Work JF wooohoooo games are muuuuuch more sunched now than ever before configuring my keys to see if i can play doom =D
You know, the whole point of making an input map format with comments and making an example was so that others could make some as well and post them. ;)
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

hey guys i made a video clip of me playing duke nukem on test18 =D

here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?eorodhxu1sx

i set duke to the lowest setting if im not mistaken and set graphics to lowest, also sound is in the lowest quality =D enjoy (its very short)
XD
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Great J.F.!! Now it's faster!
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
kos9399

Post by kos9399 »

siulmagic wrote:hey guys i made a video clip of me playing duke nukem on test18 =D

i set duke to the lowest setting if im not mistaken and set graphics to lowest, also sound is in the lowest quality =D enjoy (its very short)
XD
Hey where did you get the game file
Wally

Post by Wally »

kos9399 wrote:
siulmagic wrote:hey guys i made a video clip of me playing duke nukem on test18 =D

XD
most likely http://mac.the-underdogs.info

Wally
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

check here it should be there

http://mac.the-underdogs.info/

edit: lol wally we posted it at the same time
Last edited by siulmagic on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Isn't sony supposed to be releasing more on the PSP keyboard for slim?

Wally
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

heres another video this time im playing warcraft 2 sharware version

http://www.mediafire.com/?23ydetjl42c
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:heres another video this time im playing warcraft 2 sharware version

http://www.mediafire.com/?23ydetjl42c
Duke Nukem looked a wee bit slow, but that WC2 looks pretty decent.
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

ye only way to make it playable is to set the graphics quelaity to low =)
kos9399

Post by kos9399 »

Wally4000 wrote:
kos9399 wrote:

XD
most likely http://mac.the-underdogs.info

Wally
Thanks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Finally found most of my old 68K Mac CDs... was just playing Rebel Assault. It's actually pretty good on medium size with "blast" to screen set. The intro runs just a touch slow... you can hear it in the music now and then, but otherwise it's not bad at all. I don't recommend the mouse though. It'd probably be better to use the keyboard control setting with a custom imap. Using the mouse, I never made it to the end of Beggar's Canyon. :)
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

just install & run full 8.1 OS
works nice but a little bit slow.

to J.F.
is it possible to use combo keys?
for example like - LTrigger+X for Command+1?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

olesolo wrote:just install & run full 8.1 OS
works nice but a little bit slow.

to J.F.
is it possible to use combo keys?
for example like - LTrigger+X for Command+1?
Yes. Read my post earlier on making input maps, and look at the two included in recent arcs. You can make ANY combination of buttons you want to simulate any keys or mouse buttons (max of two keys/mouse buttons per button combo). The only thing you can't change is the analog stick - it's ALWAYS the mouse.

As to the speed, it's about like a Mac IIci. Some things are faster, and others are slower. That's actually pretty good considering that it's just a plain C CPU core emulation. No dynamic compiling or anything here. :)

You probably want to turn off most of the extensions and such with the Extension Manager control panel. That will also return quite a hunk of memory being used by OS8.