Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Arwin

Post by Arwin »

A reminder (again, will probably have to do this every page TWICE):
ChaosKnight wrote:This is off-topic (devlopment only) so in the future please post any support related questions on the Animezilla Basilisk II PSP forum here: http://forum.animezilla.net/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=4&#4
megranda

Post by megranda »

Is it bad to ask where to get the MAC.ROM file if not can someone list it i have MAC computers of my own want me to take a picture of them, then can i have the file PM it
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

megranda wrote:Is it bad to ask where to get the MAC.ROM file if not can someone list it i have MAC computers of my own want me to take a picture of them, then can i have the file PM it
Please, please, please do not ask for people to do illegal things. If you have a Mac then follow one of the many guides online to get the ROM from it to your computer (it involves using a floppy disk).

See the post above asking people not to ask support questions on this forum as it is for development purposes only (hence the name PS2DEV).

There is an active support community hosted at http://forum.animezilla.com, please make use of it instead.
w00t
salsa5x3

maybe I'm kooky, but...

Post by salsa5x3 »

Would it be possible to make a key input set that maps specific keys to the psp buttons? (like up key to up d-pad, or abc, etc. to triangle-square-etc.) Why? Here's what I'm thinking, and maybe basilisk isn't up to the challenge yet, but I'm thinking Bungie's Marathon. Wait... MARATHON! (that's better.) The system requirements for M1 is a 68x mac with 5 meg ram, (more I recall for better play...) and I don't remember about the hard disk space, but it wasn't THAT big. I ran across my game disks a couple of days ago, and currently my mac is closeted. Maybe the screen size will be an issue, but hey...

Just think: Marathon Portable!!!!

Maybe I'm Cap'n Noob about this, but I thought this might be a worthy objective for this app....

Oh, and by the way, AWESOME job!
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

If you press and hold up and press cross in p-sprint mode (in current version of Basilisk you do that by pressing Select once - you'll know your in p-sprint mode if the d-pad doesn't control the mouse pointer), you enter Control mode.

In Control mode, the arrows are already mapped to the d-pad, but you do have to double tap the left, right and up arrows. P-sprint already allows you to design custom maps (though I haven't made that consumer configerable yet ;) ), but I'd have to make a little bit of extra code to allow that to be mapped to single button presses for all buttons. If it is really necessary it is possible, though the double tap isn't so bad to use either, especially since holding the second tap would keep the key down and produces proper key-repeats.

If you get that game going tell me / get it to me, and I'll see if I can do anything to optimise p-sprint for it, and maybe get that user config option in there.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

I have a question for the graphics experts - does the PSP have a 16bit mode where 1 bit is used for Alpha blend? If so, I think that might be a lot more efficient than recoding the Apple color resolution to the 565 mode?

I also think there should be a 265 color mode supported in the emu, as some games require it.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

The PSP has a 5551 mode and an 8-bit color mode. Although you don't need to use these. If you look at video_psp.cpp you'll see that the texture uses a differant bitdepth than the screen. You can mess with that by setting the TEX_MODE and TEX_COLOR_MODE defines.
w00t
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

ChaosKnight wrote:The PSP has a 5551 mode and an 8-bit color mode. Although you don't need to use these. If you look at video_psp.cpp you'll see that the texture uses a differant bitdepth than the screen. You can mess with that by setting the TEX_MODE and TEX_COLOR_MODE defines.
I was hypothising what would be a way to make the version with correct colors be less slow. :)
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

I tried a lot of methods for using 5551 to eventually 565 (which worked best so only R and B were inverted, G is fine) to trying to build a 65536 color lookup table and do fast conversion there. Unfortunately the hardware does not support a 16-bit lookup table (which makes sense) so write now it is doing a software lookup table which is not very fast. What would be fast is some crazy opengl wrangling, the likes of which I do not know. Or possibly storing the framebuffer and CLUT in VRAM and having the VFPU do some insanity with quadwords. That would probibly be your best bet.

Right now I'm too busy at work/life to learn a lot about the VFPU, but it seems like using GU/VFPU would make this thing pretty quick... that and adding some sort of JIT 680x0 engine.
w00t
kasper

THE LAW

Post by kasper »

Please, please, please do not ask for people to do illegal things. If you have a Mac then follow one of the many guides online to get the ROM from it to your computer (it involves using a floppy disk).

See the post above asking people not to ask support questions on this forum as it is for development purposes only (hence the name PS2DEV).
If you so concerned about Legalities of actions of your own and of fellow members of ps2dev.org, then you shouldn't have started on this project... the Mac OS operating system is prohibited to be run on NON-Mac hardware, this whole emulator is not running on mac hardware, yet it is running mac software... And why the hell would u make a macintosh 7.5.5 emulator anyway? what the hell can u do with it nothing... you shouldve ported windows 95 or 98 then it would acually have functionality of running windows EXEcutable files... DOWNLOAD ANYTHING U WANT PEOPLE!!!
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

If you so concerned about Legalities of actions of your own and of fellow members of ps2dev.org, then you shouldn't have started on this project...
(more nonsence deleted)
please get informed before you post. running macos on non apple hardware is _not_ illegal only because apple says it is. apple aint the law.if you had to circumvent copy protection it *could* be illegal (but you dont have to). if you would have to create a non licensed copy it would certainly be illegal (but you dont have to). only because that there is a fair chance that few ppl will actually use the emulator legally, it doesnt mean that we must tolerate or even encourage piracy. (aaarrrr!)
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

kasper is correct, and law aside, the contract (the license agreement) between you (the customer) and Apple (the software provider) says you may only use it on Mac hardware. This is fully valid and Apple can win a court case here. That being said, I doubt Apple is going to be bothered by Mac enthusiasts runnning an ancient OS to play around with.

Of course the rest of his post is rather idiotic and does not prove any of his points at all.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

kasper is correct, and law aside, the contract (the license agreement) between you (the customer) and Apple (the software provider) says you may only use it on Mac hardware. This is fully valid and Apple can win a court case here.
at least where i live (in germany) such "shrink wrap" licenses are invalid. and neither opening a package or clicking on a "agree" button equals signing a contract. so while they might (i doubt it still) win a court case in the US, they certainly wont even try to do so here :)
the underminer

Post by the underminer »

[deleted] sorry off topic
Behold! The Underminer got hold of a PSP
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Yeah. I forgot. It's open source ish now. https://opensvn.csie.org/viewcvs.cgi/?r ... iliskIIPSP

You can also anonymously checkout. You still need me to get you write access though. It's ok, if you have something useful or even a small patch i'll most likely let you in.

And as far as legalities... probibly nobody cares. Apple did not even care to reply to the e-mail I sent them asking about it, so I'm going to say nobody cares. But if you think it is illegal or a waste of time than you do not have to use it. Please remember that this stuff is free and developers only work on it because they like it, not because they are paid. So... use it or don't.

I personally make it for the people who like it and use it.

Also I don't have the source code for windows and bochs is already out there ready for you to emulate windows... so have fun.
w00t
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Will it become easier to add internet/ethernet support to BasiliskIIPSP now when DHCP has been figured out? Would be a great feature...!

Great work on the BasiliskIIPSP, keep it up!

Best regards!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I'm really gonna have to try to get a PSP sometime. Maybe I can talk a relative into getting me one for xmas. :)

A few bits of info about the Mac - color Macs all had a minimum resolution of 640x480, except for the LC II which was the same as the B&W resolution of 512x384. Anywho, all games I ever ran while debugging EMPLANT/FUSION on the Amiga assumed the screen would be at least 640x480. It's not likely you'll get games working right without having a virtual frame buffer of that size, and either scrolling the PSP display in that frame, or shrinking it to fit. For games, I think if you could use the frame buffer as a texture and have it shrink it with filtering, it would probably be useable. What I'd probably do is have it default to scrolling through a larger display, then have a button combo switch it to/from shrink mode for when you start the games (or other apps where you want to see the whole display at once). Many games also assume the display is 256 color palette screen, not direct color. The nice ones will bug you about not being able to switch to 256 color mode then quit.

Mac display modes:
Palette modes:

1 bit - p0p1p2p3p4p5p6p7
each bit is 0 = white, and 1 = black (weird... backwards to how you'd assume it).

2 bit - p01p00p11p10p21p20p31p30
pn1 = msb of color, pn0 = lsb of color. Colors looked up in 4 entry table where color 00 is normally set to white and 11 is normally set to black. All four entries can be changed.

4 bit - p03p02p01p00p13p12p11p10
pn3 = msb to pn0 = lsb. Colors looked up in a 16 entry color table where 0 is again white and 15 is black. All 16 entries can be changed. Many older games use this mode.

8 bit - p07p06p05p04p03p02p01p00
pn7 = msb, pn0 = lsb. 256 color table, all entries can be changed. Most games use this mode.

16 bit - xRRRRRGGGGGBBBBB (in big-endian format). The msb is ignored. The color table entries are used for gamma correction in this mode. Not many games use this mode as it wasn't standard on most color Macs until very late.

32 bit - xxxxxxxx RRRRRRRR GGGGGGGG BBBBBBBB
Again, the color table entries are used for gamma correction. Again, not used very often by games.

All the modes don't need to be supported, but some programs won't work if they aren't (like I said, many games need the 8bit mode). These are the ONLY modes the (68K) Mac understands.

If you need some info on something, just ask and I'll try to 'splain it to ya. :)
nathan42100

Post by nathan42100 »

where can I get a mac.rom file. The most recent one doesn't work without it...
nextelghost

how do i install Basilisk II PSP

Post by nextelghost »

i am new to this forum how do i install this on my psp please help i have been looking for 3 days now
nathan42100

Post by nathan42100 »

Copy it to you PSP/GAME/ directory, but you need a mac.rom, so don't bother
nextelghost

thanx

Post by nextelghost »

thanx does it matter which one
nextelghost

bin file

Post by nextelghost »

where does the bin file go and i still cant get the rom
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

If you have an EPROM programmer, it can also be used to read older Mac ROMs, which can be found in Mac repair shops. The newer Macs all used a ROM SIMM. If you own a Mac, there are programs floating around with various Mac emulators that will dump the ROMs into a file. If you don't own a Mac with the proper ROMs, and if you haven't bought ROMs from a repair shop, it's illegal to obtain a ROM image. This site doesn't deal with illegal actions like that. So saying buy some ROMs or get a real 68K Quadra to dump the ROMs is as much as you'll get on the forum here.

By the way, the EMPLANT card for the Amiga has a SIMM socket that will allow reading a Mac ROM SIMM. It was common for Amiga people with EMPLANT cards to get a ROM SIMM for the Mac emulation. ROM SIMMs could also be found at Mac repair shops.
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

...And I might add that there is no excuse for not getting a Mac if you really want to run this emulator. You can pretty much pick these up at flea markets, surplus electronics stores, or your local landfill for a couple bucks or even free. (No reflection on this fine machine, but just the reality of the situation.)
rohit507

Post by rohit507 »

I really want to pust some other programs on basilisk where can i get them and could someone please put a tutorial on how to install (i am noob). btw is it legal to own a mac mini and use this (it runs osx and mac os9 classic.)? and also the other website link is down.
2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights make a left
nathan42100

Post by nathan42100 »

This emulator has been tested with 7.5.5 and 8.0 I THINK!

search google for .dsk readers
find one
use it to open the system.dsk
add files.

Keep in mind that this was more of a proof of concept, the mouse moves slow and I cannot seem to keep the emulator running for more than 30 minutes
pokothehobo

Post by pokothehobo »

i just wanted to thank you guys for working on this its a great program.

i just have a question (i couldnt get to the support forum sorry...)

when i am playing oregon trail (or any other game...) the top and bottom of the screen is cut off because of the adaption to the psp's screen. i was wondering if there is anyway to get around this, or to change the resolution so that it doesnt cut the game off. any help/advice would be appreciated...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

QuickDraw requires a minimum resolution of 512x384. If you can't display at least that size, you are stuck either panning, or trying to shrink the display to fit. For example, maybe the Mac framebuffer could be made a texture, then drawn with the hardware to shrink and filter it. I imagine it'd look pretty good. Something similar is done with various emulators for the PC and Mac - using OpenGL to get hardware scaling of the emulation framebuffer to the display.
zybanmongo

Post by zybanmongo »

Can u help me. I am such a noob. I can not get this app to work. PLEZ send me a email that will istruct me how to install.
My email:

[email protected]
PSP-Emul8ter

WOW

Post by PSP-Emul8ter »

I Cant belive my eyes!!! It WORKS!!! This a brilliant emulator when you have the os and the rom image
(P.S: You can buy a cheap Mac Quadra 650 .rom image's and lots more at www.freewebs.com/theoslist and goto shop (You need paypal).)
Pros:
Brilliant colour
------------
Cons:
DiscCopy wont run. (Only os avail is: MacOS 7.5.3 rev2)
Crashes when finder boots
Really slow (3mins to boot)
Only small disk images allowed
No Keyboard

Apart from all the cons it is ok
Good work chaos knight
---Owner of Morgan Enterprises (The Motorcar)---