Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Phew.. got past that 13 quickly xD

Looks like both types of PSP have their own advantages now. Slim for the RAM and TV out, and Fat for the IRDA keyboards. I think I prefer the former ;)

I don't mind the different file system for the "files" folder, but it starts to look a bit messy after a while. Is there an advantage to using AppleDouble?

I've been quite heavily testing this over the past few days installing 7.6.1 and various apps. It's been surprisingly stable, however it will sometimes stop for no reason while loading an installer. Pressing SELECT to bring up the key maps menu, going back to the current one and pressing SELECT again usually makes it unfreeze.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Nice update J.F.! Good to see BasiliskIIPSP in progress.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

B2 isn't quite as stable as one would like, but one works with what one has. :) So far I've been relatively pleased with how it's going.

AppleDouble doesn't look messy on most systems because they suppress the display of files starting with ".", so it's just Windows that looks messy. :D

AppleDouble would probably be better for today because most folks, if they have a Mac, will be using OSX, and AppleDouble is the file format for non-HFS disks in OSX. I even bumped the home string and version on my code to match OSX. For example, the files on the 68kShrine are all in AppleDouble format. I can't think of any files in B2 format, unless you already were using B2 on the PC and put stuff in B2 format for some reason.

So I switched mostly in anticipation that AppleDouble would be more relevant for modern times. I can always switch back if need be - I've kept the old format in sync with the new one so that you can just switch files and recompile. Maybe at some point I might try to join the two and make a switch in the GUI. I'm still waiting for feedback on whether people think one is better than the other, or if it doesn't matter.
RyanfromtheShire

Post by RyanfromtheShire »

J.F. wrote:Test 14 - IR keyboard support! At least if you're on 3.52 or older. I forgot Sony doesn't load IRDA.PRX in games anymore. I'll add code for that on the next version. Tested in 3.52 M33-4 with Targus and Palm keyboards. Now I'm extra mad the Slim doesn't have an IR port. ;)

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source
Right on! You rock J.F.!

I'm still having trouble with the .bin files.

I downloaded oregon trail, as a bin, and put it in the "files" folder on my PSP....then open it with stuffit and click expand. The screen locks up for a bit (but I can still use the mouse) and then it goes back to normal. And it seems nothing happened.
Has it been expanded? Should I just mount it now? Im confused. >.<
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay, test 15. This fixes a few bugs - one in the imap/floppy/cdrom menu, I switched back to unix gettimeofday timing (seems a little more consistent), it should handle the caps lock key correctly, and should load IRDA.PRX on 3.80+. Would someone with a Phat and 3.80+ please check that?

I also fixed a minor quibble in the default input mapping - CROSS is now enter instead of keypad enter. I now allow for comments in the input maps. Look at the included default and Maelstrom maps as examples. Here's a tip for testing your input maps/keyboards - under the Apple Menu is a little jewel of an app called Key Caps... use it!

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

RyanfromtheShire wrote: I'm still having trouble with the .bin files.

I downloaded oregon trail, as a bin, and put it in the "files" folder on my PSP....then open it with stuffit and click expand. The screen locks up for a bit (but I can still use the mouse) and then it goes back to normal. And it seems nothing happened.
Has it been expanded? Should I just mount it now? Im confused. >.<
If a bin is a binary image, it doesn't need to be decoded, just mounted. If a bin is a binhex, it needs to be decoded, not mounted. After decoding, binhex turns into an app, not a disk image. If StuffIt Expander doesn't turn a bin into an app, it's not binhex... or at least, StuffIt Expander doesn't think it's valid binhex. If you're still confused, go look it up on a Mac emulation board. It's a mac issue, not an emulator issue, so we don't deal with that in the thread here.
RyanfromtheShire

Oh ok, thanks!

Keep up the good work! :)
fendergc

Post by fendergc »

hi guys, after that I've put the latest release I tried various settings but it doesn't work..I'm on a 4.01 m33 psp slim..can you tell me yours?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

fendergc wrote:hi guys, after that I've put the latest release I tried various settings but it doesn't work..I'm on a 4.01 m33 psp slim..can you tell me yours?
I do nearly all testing on a 4.01 M33-2 Slim. You'll need to be more specific about "various settings" and a lot more specific than "it doesn't work" if you are reporting a problem.
omba

hardfiles

Post by omba »

i tried creating hardfiles on test 14 and 15 but it doesnt work, i need to create a 100mb hardfile atleast; does anyone have a blank one?

psp phat 4.01 m33-2
fendergc

Post by fendergc »

hi J.F
here's the config
screen mode 512x384
color depth 24bit
WRR: 20 Hz
ram size 12
model quadra 900
cpu type 68020

starting it with this configuration, after that it loads the rom a black screen appears and then shutdown..

@omba: create it by yourself from psp
J.F.

Re: hardfiles

Post by J.F. »

omba wrote:i tried creating hardfiles on test 14 and 15 but it doesnt work, i need to create a 100mb hardfile atleast; does anyone have a blank one?

psp phat 4.01 m33-2
Create Hardfile works fine. What EXACTLY is the problem you're having? Is it not requesting the name (problem with the Sony OSK)? Is it not exactly making a file (problem with memstick)? Is the file the wrong length (stick full?)? Please, people - if you're going to beta test, PLEASE try to be useful. "It doesn't work" tells the developer NOTHING and is worthless as a bug report, and so it will be ignored as a PEBKAC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

fendergc wrote:hi J.F
here's the config
screen mode 512x384
color depth 24bit
ram size 12
model quadra 900
cpu type 68020

starting it with this configuration, after that it loads the rom a black screen appears and then shutdown..
Now THIS is a half-way decent bug report... even if it's a report about the underlying emulator and not PSP specific. :)

Right now, B2 pretty much ignores the color depth you set and starts in 4 bit mode. After you have a system installed and set the depth you want in the Monitors control panel, it'll switch to that depth during the boot process. Not sure if I'll bother fixing B2 to start in the requested depth or not.

As to the problem, it could be ROM related. Some Mac ROMs cannot support CPUs without an FPU, so the first thing you should try is setting the CPU to a model with the FPU, like "68020 with FPU", "68030 with FPU", or "68040". If it still crashes, you should post the checksum of the ROM (the first four bytes). That would allow the ROM to be IDd - it might be that ROM isn't supported. There were ROMs from odd-ball Macs that never worked properly in Mac emulators.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

fendergc wrote:hi J.F
here's the config
screen mode 512x384
color depth 24bit
ram size 12
model quadra 900
cpu type 68020

@omba: create it by yourself from psp
Change your color depth to 8 bit (256), see if that help. Cause I tried Million bit before, it either shuts down, or the whole display color go light blue. I also tried 15 bit, but it just get stuck on Welcome to Macintosh. So I had to restart the app. 4 bit also doesn't work for me, it get stuck on the first screen (the mac pc with face on it). I really wish J.F. would make a in-emulation menu, that way when you set something wrong, you don't have to restart the app or the PSP.
Last edited by dennis96411 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote: Change your color depth to 8 bit (256), see if that help. Cause I tried Million bit before, it either shuts down, or the whole display color go light blue. I also tried 15 bit, but it just get stuck on Welcome to Macintosh.
I should really just default it to 4 bit and disable the control until/unless I fix how B2 sets the depth.
So I had to restart the app. I really wish J.F. would make a in-emulation menu, that way when you set something wrong, you don't have to restart the app or the PSP.
B2 is incapable of being restarted or restarting the Mac. You have to flush all resources and reload from scratch.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

J.F. wrote:
dennis96411 wrote: Change your color depth to 8 bit (256), see if that help. Cause I tried Million bit before, it either shuts down, or the whole display color go light blue. I also tried 15 bit, but it just get stuck on Welcome to Macintosh.
I should really just default it to 4 bit and disable the control until/unless I fix how B2 sets the depth.
So I had to restart the app. I really wish J.F. would make a in-emulation menu, that way when you set something wrong, you don't have to restart the app or the PSP.
B2 is incapable of being restarted or restarting the Mac. You have to flush all resources and reload from scratch.
By restart I meant by exiting out to XMB, and start the app again. And all but 8 bit works for me. Dunno why. Also, I've created a 100 MB hfv and put all the files from other independent hfv and dsks in it. Now that's easier. :D So what are you planning now?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
omba

about the hard file

Post by omba »

whenever i try to create any size hardifle, the screen goes blank than the psp turns off; this happened with test 14 and 15, and i can now load cd isos directly when i put in cdroms directory :)

it wasnt a problem with the memstick, i tried it with 2, maybe its my psp
omba

Post by omba »

oh ya and i have more than enough space in the memstick, can anyone plz upload a 100 or 200 mb BLANK hardfile plz
omba

Post by omba »

rofl ya i just realize the sony osk doesnt appear, but i did this on test 10 and it worked
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Next time can you just edit your first post instead of triple posting?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

@omba - The code to call up the Sony OSK hasn't changed since I wrote it for Doom. It works for me and at least dennis. I'd suspect a problem with the firmware in your PSP.

*dennis - Not sure what next. It's about time to start getting things ready for an actual release. Other than omba's complaint about the OSK (which no one else has reported and I can't duplicate), there don't seem to be any reports of problems that are not related to Basilisk rather than my specific port. The biggest thing I'd LIKE to get done would be networking, but it seems that won't be possible on the PSP - at least not withot more effort than it's worth.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:@omba - The code to call up the Sony OSK hasn't changed since I wrote it for Doom. It works for me and at least dennis. I'd suspect a problem with the firmware in your PSP.

*dennis - Not sure what next. It's about time to start getting things ready for an actual release. Other than omba's complaint about the OSK (which no one else has reported and I can't duplicate), there don't seem to be any reports of problems that are not related to Basilisk rather than my specific port. The biggest thing I'd LIKE to get done would be networking, but it seems that won't be possible on the PSP - at least not withot more effort than it's worth.
OSK works on my slim ok..

omba, try reformatting your flash1. Use your google skills wisely
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Hm... I'm starting to have issues that I didn't have before :/ I can't install most apps or sometimes load the OS without leaving the emulator on the keymap selection menu. Having the analog stick enabled seems to stop various things working. :/

edit: Hmm, emulator behaves a lot better in the Slim with 41mb RAM enabled. But I still had to leave the menu on while loading OS 8.1, or it wouldn't get past 10% o_O

Using 68030 CPU with QUAD650 ROM, I assume a Quadra 650... xD
Wally

Post by Wally »

jas0nuk wrote:Hm... I'm starting to have issues that I didn't have before :/ I can't install most apps or sometimes load the OS without leaving the emulator on the keymap selection menu. Having the analog stick enabled seems to stop various things working. :/

edit: Hmm, emulator behaves a lot better in the Slim with 41mb RAM enabled. But I still had to leave the menu on while loading OS 8.1, or it wouldn't get past 10% o_O

Using 68030 CPU with QUAD650 ROM, I assume a Quadra 650... xD
I don't think 8.1 ran on the 68030 without help of mods

try getting Pseud040 and/or Wish I Were to make the computer appear to have a 68040 CPU

Try that!

Source : http://lowendmac.com/tech/8on030.shtml
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Interesting. It installed OK while I was running a barebones 7.5.5 installation with 68030 emulated. I'll try switching the emulation or the Psued040 util.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

jas0nuk you said you've got Mac OS 8.1. Can you give me the files? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
mohaas05

Post by mohaas05 »

i managed to boot 8.1 on mine using a quadra650 rom with a 100mb hfv image i made with an os8 install cd on the PC version of basilisk.

One question though:
Would it be possible to have a full resolution (480x272) unstretched like the original basilisk II for PSP? The current resolutions are good but its hard to read some stuff sometimes.
Wally

Post by Wally »

dennis96411 wrote:jas0nuk you said you've got Mac OS 8.1. Can you give me the files? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
get 7.6.1 instead.

Wally
RyanfromtheShire

mohaas05 wrote: Would it be possible to have a full resolution (480x272) unstretched like the original basilisk II for PSP? The current resolutions are good but its hard to read some stuff sometimes.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing.
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

how about getting game's to synch that would be cool or, what you said JF getting netwrok support