Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ChaosKnight

Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Post by ChaosKnight »

Hey everybody, I decided to give this its own thread because it's big enough to deserve it.

What Works
  • Emulation
    Video (wrong colors, slow)
    Input (start = return, mouse = analog + X = click)
What Doesn't
  • Ethernet
    Audio
    Keyboard
    External Filesystem (ability to use flash0:, mc0:, etc...)
    Serial (no irda0: support yet)
Where to get the binaries (unzip this onto your memory stick)
http://animezilla.org/BasiliskII-PSP-bin.zip

Where to get the source
http://animezilla.org/BasiliskII-PSP-src.zip

Will try to get it into svn.
Enjoy!
w00t
the-dan

Post by the-dan »

wow that is very nice and smooth. =) also, are those images legal? just out curiousity hehe. still though, great release =D

- Dan
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

MacOS System 7.5 was released for free quite some time ago. It's downloadable from an Apple FTP, I just packaged it up into a 5MB disk image. Nothing to worry about.
w00t
the-dan

Post by the-dan »

ah, ok and thanks for that clarification. very nice work though =)
ijeff

Post by ijeff »

Very nice work, I was amazed at how fast it loaded. I'm stunned.
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

awesome work Chaos Knight. i made a page for it for you here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/basilisk.shtml and submitted this topic and your name to slashdot etc :)

great work
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Awesome work, CK! Will test this a little later ... :)

I'll also look at the source, see if I can help you with some of that keyboard simulation. ;)

EDIT: I wrote this as a little bit of support for including p_sprint in basilisk:

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/p_sp ... ctions.cpp
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Arwin wrote:I wrote this as a little bit of support for including p_sprint in basilisk:

Great work Arwin! This is a big step to full emulation. I think though that R is probibly ging to be quite inconvieniant as a mouse button, particularly on a Mac where you have to hold it down while using menus.
I'll try to put this into SVN (I don't have a login yet) and when/if I do you can feel free to play around with the code and know your changes will stick. Until then feel free to modify the source which is linked on my post above.
w00t
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

ChaosKnight wrote:
Arwin wrote:I wrote this as a little bit of support for including p_sprint in basilisk:

Great work Arwin! This is a big step to full emulation. I think though that R is probibly ging to be quite inconvieniant as a mouse button, particularly on a Mac where you have to hold it down while using menus.
Well, what you can do is play around with different setups that prefer either typing or mouse usage. Once you are typing, then you'll really want to have START as enter and Cross as space.

Also, I don't think it would be too hard to make the L key perform so that Basilisk/Mac thinks you are holding the mouse button until you press L again.

These are just some ideas though. Once you get the basics of it going, you'll find out what works best easily enough. While I agree that the L and R buttons aren't perfect for using as mouse buttons, in a full combined keyboard / mouse emulation environment I doubt you'll find a better combination that gives you everything at once, without needing to switch between different control schemes and so on. I've tried it with a number of different environments, and it works quite well.

However, if you look into the documentation for p-sprint a little, you can see that there is room for 3 custom keyboard layout groups optimised for whatever context it is running in. That would be a good way to support alternative keyboard layouts that prefer different situations. You could for instance make a keyboard layout where shift-A gives you 1, and so on, for situations where you need both alphanumeric and numeric input, like, say, WEP keys.
I'll try to put this into SVN (I don't have a login yet) and when/if I do you can feel free to play around with the code and know your changes will stick. Until then feel free to modify the source which is linked on my post above.
Sure. I don't have much time this week, but I'll do my best to chip in ...
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Arwin wrote:These are just some ideas though. Once you get the basics of it going, you'll find out what works best easily enough. While I agree that the L and R buttons aren't perfect for using as mouse buttons, in a full combined keyboard / mouse emulation environment I doubt you'll find a better combination that gives you everything at once, without needing to switch between different control schemes and so on. I've tried it with a number of different environments, and it works quite well.
I was just thinking about using something like select to switch control schemes. Could even have a little picture in the menu bar to show which mode you are in. Also when I get time for it (currently getting proper colors and the external filesystem is my priority) I'll want to do an overlay for when you type because KeyDown and KeyUp need to have an interrupt between them to work properly.
w00t
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

it is working very good on my psp, but how can i use some programs?

i suppose i have to create in some way a virtual Hd or some disks images...but i have no idea how anyone can help?
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

There's a program called HFVExplorer http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_12995045.html (german download site, english program, for windows) which will help you manage your disks. Also you can download the windows version of Basilisk II http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/basilisk2/ and you can play around with your disk images a lot faster than putting them on a memory stick.
w00t
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

thank u for the clear answer i ll try right now...
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

ChaosKnight wrote:I'll want to do an overlay for when you type because KeyDown and KeyUp need to have an interrupt between them to work properly.
I suspected something like that might be the case. A quick fix of course would be to store the myKey structure in a global variable that you in the next interrupt use to do the KeyUp event.

I can also make pressing and releasing the last button of the combo that leads to a keypress to function key-up and key-down respectively. I've tried to work it so that I can always tell what the last button was before the last button has been released. (Button combinations with more than one button are always hold-combinations)

The only exception I made for this is combinations I put in holding x and backspace, but they aren't currently used. So it should be no problem. I'll try to work with you as best I can.

Of course, some kind of feedback on what key group you are in and onscreen help/support or an OSK that either alternates to, or (imho) preferably, (optionally) combines with p-sprint will be the ultimate best solution, allowing frequent users to get the full power of p-sprint behind them, while occasional and new users have the support of the OSK.
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

i am trying to make run some software, i tried adding the .sit soft using HFVExplorer to the filesistem, when i run the psp emu i can see the soft on my desktop but cannot launch them where have i to place the soft to beeing able to launch them?
(they are soft must run on 7.5)

:)
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

someone wrote:i am trying to make run some software, i tried adding the .sit soft using HFVExplorer to the filesistem, when i run the psp emu i can see the soft on my desktop but cannot launch them where have i to place the soft to beeing able to launch them?
(they are soft must run on 7.5)

:)
This is off-topic (devlopment only) so in the future please post any support related questions on the Animezilla Basilisk II PSP forum here: http://forum.animezilla.net/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=4&#4

In answer to your question, you need StuffIT to extract the .sit archive. This is available for download at most mac emulation sites because it is free.
w00t
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

hoo ok sorry and thank u :)
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Is it possible to have more than one virtual disk currently?
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

zigzag wrote:Is it possible to have more than one virtual disk currently?
Yes, I have that completed, but I have not yet uploaded the modifications. I'm currently working on getting the extended filesystem working, when I do I'll upload the updates, for now you can have a big fat system.dsk, in the future system.dsk will not be required as it scans the BasiliskIIPSP folder for any .dsk or .hfv files and adds them.
w00t
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

It looks like POSIX is required for Extended FS. I tried to get around it with writing my own functions but to no avail. Not enough time today. I'll work on it a bit later maybe. I'm taking suggestions for what to work on next (proper color? ethernet? mac os 8? who knows?). I have uploaded a new binary set (for unzipping on your memory stick!) which will load up any HFV or DSK file that is sitting around. No more required startup.dsk... although you can keep it and it will still work.

Enjoy. Linkage: http://animezilla.org/BasiliskII-PSP-bin.zip

-- EDIT --
Forgot to put this in. The analog pad moves 2px at a time, which is too much for hitting small controls sometimes, so I made the DPad do 1px. Much easier.
w00t
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Would love internet/ethernet support now when I see how FAST this boots :-) I do think there was some MOSAIC/Netscape browser for these Mac Os's...

OK colours are also on top of the list...

Great work! Keep it up!
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Gettingi the video ironed out would be nice first I guess, there's a couple of pixels on the left that are extra too... and if it can be any quicker?

Ethernet would be a big plus, but I imagine that will be difficult to do because that would involve writing something around Basilisk to get the WIFI configuration working within it.

I think external file system access is not something that is really that important -- as long as multiple virtual disks are supported.

I have an odd problem with the knob (mouse) control on my PSP, it will get stuck going to the right sometimes -- trying to figure out if its hardware or software -- I am pretty sure its software. I haven't yet tried the latest build above.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

zigzag wrote:I have an odd problem with the knob (mouse) control on my PSP, it will get stuck going to the right sometimes -- trying to figure out if its hardware or software -- I am pretty sure its software. I haven't yet tried the latest build above.
Still there in the latest build -- tapping the knob right will have the pointer keep traveling right until you move it in another direction. I am using firmware 1.50 on a JAP PSP.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

zigzag wrote:tapping the knob right will have the pointer keep traveling right until you move it in another direction. I am using firmware 1.50 on a JAP PSP.
This is a dead zone issue. For most PSPs the zone I have of 20 is good enough, but you may need a bit more. I'll look into it. Ethernet is supported in Basilisk but it needs some very low level info, I don't know if the PSP can provide that or not.

Also I wanted to let everyone know I'm keeping a blog about my personal experiances (less development talk more general thoughts. You may want to check it out here: http://basiliskpsp.blogspot.com/
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

The color issues look like a 256 color paletted display running in a non-paletted video mode, or vice versa -- something of the sort.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Actually to me it seemed more like an invert. Everything is exactly inverted except greys. The reds are supposed to be exactly that blue. But it is not using paletted color, it's using "thousands" as quoted by the monitor control panel so 16bit, I have it running on the PSP as 565, in any other mode it looks much weirder and sometimes even crashes.
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Ah you are right, didn't notice that. I guess someone who has done this on this board should be able to help -- maybe open a new post for it?
sHARD>>

Post by sHARD>> »

To solve the mouse problem why not utilize the analog sensitivity to accelerate the mouse? I know at least one homebrew already did, I'll see if I can dig up the code to take a look at.
Koba

Post by Koba »

so ChaosKnight, is this mac.rom capable of running applications? like, can we install ur own programs to run on it? that would be great, and some possible way of creating a virtual keyboard until an official keyboard is released for the PSP.
ijeff

Post by ijeff »

Runs great.. does anyone know of an HFV editor for Mac OSX? Google keeps pointing me towards Windows applications.. perhaps it's built in?