Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

omba

Post by omba »

mac os 7.61 works good, so isos can now be loaded as cd rom images, if you put .hqx files in a hardfile; i suppose you can directly install it right?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

mohaas05 wrote: Would it be possible to have a full resolution (480x272) unstretched like the original basilisk II for PSP? The current resolutions are good but its hard to read some stuff sometimes.
No. The mac is not designed to run at less than 512x384. Using anything smaller WILL cause problems. Besides, if you can't read the 512x384 display in 16:9 (so it's using the full 480x272), you need reading glasses. Not my problem. Perhaps you should get a 104" HDTV and a Slim PSP. :P :D

The fact of the matter is, most Mac software (color games in particular) are written for a minimum of 640x480. I suggest people run it in that mode most of the time. You can switch resolutions on the fly with this version of Basilisk, so feel free to do so, switching down to 512x384 when you need to read something that is "too small".

Okay, here's test 16. Made a few more changes to the timing, and now I support suspend/resume. The only thing that shouldn't work after resume is the network. I might add that later. I'm not very motivated on that front right now.

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source

Just a reminder to people who haven't bothered reading the Basilisk docs - the external filesystem used to read the memstick requires System 7.6 or newer.

@jas0nuk - Those are the kinds of problems that drive programmers crazy. Try to get a little more info on it: see if it is system version dependent, and if it's only occuring on the newer version, try the newer version without the memstick enabled. As I mentioned above, the memstick filesys only works on 7.6+, so if that was the source of the trouble, you wouldn't see it on 7.5.x.
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

welll i got mac os 7.5.5 and the mms filesystem works like a charm
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:welll i got mac os 7.5.5 and the mms filesystem works like a charm
Maybe there was an update on 7.5 that Chris didn't realize added FM1.2 support. That's good to hear. It's one thing we can correct for our own readme.
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

is it me or did games get slower/ less synched in test 16

i used to be able to watch the little blizzard animation logo slow yus tlike in b2 for pc,but know the video dosent even show

in dukenukem the atomic symbole animation shows but lags more than in any early test builds

im doom i used to be able to go in game now cant the menu takes way to much time to show up, that did not happen before

so yea to me games are less sunched than before

heres my settings:
processor type 68040
ram 13mb
mac rom quadra 650
mac os 7.5.5
resolution at 640x480
cpu clocked at 333
also forgot to mention im running it at 256 colors (8bit)
Last edited by siulmagic on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:is it me or did games get slower/ less synched in test 16

i used to be able to watch the little blizzard animation logo slow yus tlike in b2 for pc,but know the video dosent even show

in dukenukem the atomic symbole animation shows but lags more than in any early test builds

im doom i used to be able to go in game now cant the menu takes way to much time to show up, that did not happen before

so yea to me games are less sunched than before

heres my settings:
processor type 68040
ram 13mb
mac rom quadra 650
mac os 7.5.5
resolution at 640x480
cpu clocked at 333
I'm still trying things with the timing. The PSP isn't the greatest at making fast, accurate timing available to user apps. If you're writing your own game and just timing things off the vertical blank, it's just peachy. For things like emulators, it's more of a royal pain. :)
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Can anyone tell me where do I get and how do I install Mac OS 7.6 or 8.1? I just wanna try it. I don't think Mac OS 8 work, does it?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

J.F.: It wasn't extfs related. I was having trouble installing software for which I'd already copied the installers to the hardfile. I believe the problems started in one of the recent builds, around 13. Whatever is being paused while the menu is on is fixing something.
However, installing MacBugs seems to have prevented it stop randomly while starting up. xD Nice little tool.
dennis96411: Up to 8.1 works. 7.6.1 and 8.1 have not been released by Apple, you'll have to find them on the internet or or find the discs somewhere :P
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

jas0nuk wrote:dennis96411: Up to 8.1 works. 7.6.1 and 8.1 have not been released by Apple, you'll have to find them on the internet or or find the discs somewhere :P
How do I run it? Download it and extract it in the emulator?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

You just copy the ISO to the cdroms folder and select it in the Volumes config screen, then it will appear on the desktop when you boot (you need a hardfile that already works to start with)
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

jas0nuk wrote:You just copy the ISO to the cdroms folder and select it in the Volumes config screen, then it will appear on the desktop when you boot (you need a hardfile that already works to start with)
Thanks! I was just downloading a Mac OS 8 iso, but can I update it to 8.1 once I have 8 installed? How do I install Mac OS 8.1? It's in a bin file on Apple's server. Do I just extract it in the emulator? Thanks for your help! I'm smelling Mac OS 8 coming this way!
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Yes, put the update .bin in the "files" folder in your basilisk folder, and once running OS 8 copy it to the HDD and run it.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

jas0nuk wrote:Yes, put the update .bin in the "files" folder in your basilisk folder, and once running OS 8 copy it to the HDD and run it.
Thanks! The ISO is big! 330 MB! Wow! So that means my hfv files has to be 400 MB?!
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
omba

Post by omba »

hey dennis could you please send me a link to the iso
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:
jas0nuk wrote:Yes, put the update .bin in the "files" folder in your basilisk folder, and once running OS 8 copy it to the HDD and run it.
Thanks! The ISO is big! 330 MB! Wow! So that means my hfv files has to be 400 MB?!
I'd recommend it, but 8.1 uses less than 150 MB. The main thing taking all the space on the 8.0/8.1 CD is the QuickTime sample... on the 8.1 CD it's "The Old Apartment" music video. I forget which music video they put on the 8.0 CD.

BTW, I have noticed the issue with the emulator "bogging down" and getting faster if you do something like activate the drive menu. For example, sometimes in the boot it would take 30-40 seconds to draw the background pattern right after it switched the display depth right before the big Welcome to Macintosh splash screen. Also, Speedometer would ALWAYS bog down during the display tests, taking anywhere from 90 to 100 secs per test. I think I might have taken care of that. The issue is the PSP does cooperative multitasking. B2 is designed for preemptive multitasking - it uses a separate thread to signal the interrupt used for all timing in the emulator. In Windows or *nix, that thread has a high priority, so it ALWAYS gets time to run, regardless of what the main B2 thread is doing. On the PSP, threads don't automatically run, no matter what their priority is. The thread currently running (whatever it is) has to call certain system routines that check for task switching or the tasks never switch.

Now in a game or an emulator you write yourself, you keep this in mind. For example, if I were doing an Atari emulator, I'd be doing cycle counting to make sure my Atari ran at the proper speed. I'd probably count off a frame's worth of cycles and then do the vertical blank stuff, like process the inputs. At that time, I'd let the system task switch so everything was able to run. It's a natural place for it. B2 isn't like that. It's designed so that the main thread running the 68K emulation runs as lean and fast as possible to maximize the emulator speed. It's not trying to do any waiting at all, counting on preemptive multitasking to set simulated interrupts for things like timing. It has no natural place in which to insert a wait. So I've been trying various things to make the main thread wait enough for other threads to run properly without waiting SO much that it runs slow.

I think I might have that done now. I haven't seen the emu bog down while starting, and Speedometer now always gets 34.8 sec, 26.5 sec, and 45.8 sec for each graphics test. Note that the four bit test is slower than the eight bit - that's proper. Although the Mac is drawing half the data, it's harder to draw four bits than eight - QuickDraw uses bitfield commands to do that. Then I have to swap the nibbles in each byte since the PSP uses the opposite order compared to everyone else. So in the end, four bit takes longer to draw and to refresh compared to eight bit.

I'm doing a few more tests, but I'll upload the next test version a little later this afternoon.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay, here's test 17. Let me know how it goes. Only change is in the waits to trigger task switching.

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source
omba

Post by omba »

has anyone tried to to install internet explorer anyway? will internet explorer 5 work with os 8.1? i know the networking doenst work but im curious
omba

Post by omba »

does anyone have quicktime for 7.61? quicktime 3 or 4
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

very nice job JF testing games now =)

edit: i got IE explorer and yes it works its version 4.5 if im not mistaken

its for 68k

my mac os version is 7.5.5
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Many thanks J.F., I'll try it tomorrow.
kos9399

Post by kos9399 »

When would it be possible to use the os 9 rom. And how do i use the smil files.

Thanks in advance
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

kos9399 wrote:When would it be possible to use the os 9 rom. And how do i use the smil files.

Thanks in advance
never B2 supports is up to 8.1, if you want to use 8.5 till 9.0 if im not mistaken you have to use sheepshaver for pc there's no psp port for that
Wally

Post by Wally »

dennis96411 wrote:Here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zacjzm
You are breaking the rules mate..

Edit your post.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:

Edit your post.
It's fine. That version of QuickTime is freely redistributable and was found on everything from AOL to Netscape CDs through the late 90's. There's a copy of that same QT on the shareware CD I posted a bit back. :)
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Yep! I got it in your shareware collection. Oh, I've also found a site for free Mac 68k softwares: http://myoldmac.net/software/upload/index.php
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:

Edit your post.
It's fine. That version of QuickTime is freely redistributable and was found on everything from AOL to Netscape CDs through the late 90's. There's a copy of that same QT on the shareware CD I posted a bit back. :)
Ohhhhhh I see, i thought it was OS 8.1 :)
Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote: You are breaking the rules mate..

Edit your post.
Ohhhhhh I see, i thought it was OS 8.1 :)
Wally
So did I at first, so I clicked the link to double-check and saw it was just the QT4 smi. He didn't make it clear which post the link was in response to, so he probably fooled a few people into thinking he was posting OS8. :D
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Didn't even know you would think that! Haha! So my trick Not-meant-to-be-trick did trick some people.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
omba

Post by omba »

good news about ie 4.5, im gona try to see if 5 works with 7.61 also thanks for the quicktime

Edit:
with a few hacks ie 5 works well in 7.61