Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Hawkeyefile

why not a different idea, maybe better.

Post by Hawkeyefile »

instead of having to memorize hundred's of different key combo's on the psp wich is really anoying, why not do what the psp UAE guys did, wich is create a semi transparent keyboard for typing that way you have all the keys on screen. nothing to memorize.
Arwin

Re: why not a different idea, maybe better.

Post by Arwin »

Hawkeyefile wrote:instead of having to memorize hundred's of different key combo's on the psp wich is really anoying, why not do what the psp UAE guys did, wich is create a semi transparent keyboard for typing that way you have all the keys on screen. nothing to memorize.
Because nobody is currently working on this project. I myself can't even run it.

But 'all the different key combos' also lead to some very fast typing - I don't think you'll be all that fast on a qwerty keyboard either if you still hunt and peck. I can certainly p-sprint faster than some guys type.

As a tip, especially Apple-key combos are very easily to do with P-sprint, so learning to do that will definitely help.

Holding the first key and then pressing one of the others, then releasing both and pressing the final combo will activate ctrl,alt,shift and apple keys ... go ahead and give it a try. Compared to a real keyboard where it takes you 2 keys, the 3 keys it requires with p-sprint isn't too shabby.
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

how long does it take you to memorize it? and btw why cant i get my os 8.1 working with it?
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

is it possible to use a real keyboard through the usb port?
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Not yet, but there is a IR keyboard 'driver' program out there. Writing one for Mac that could work on many systems would be a good idea, but the idea of using an IR keyboard on the PSP hasn't been all that popular.
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

i have in IR keyboard for my tungsten E. ithink that would be equally as great.
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

ive noticed that i cant run any other .dsk file besiedthe one included. im trying the get system 7.5.5 working. its 20mb is there some kind of file limit? or will it only work with the .dsk you supplied. im starting to wonder the use of this port if i cant even run my own files.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Hawkeyefile wrote:ive noticed that i cant run any other .dsk file besiedthe one included. im trying the get system 7.5.5 working. its 20mb is there some kind of file limit? or will it only work with the .dsk you supplied. im starting to wonder the use of this port if i cant even run my own files.
you should use the hsv format for larger images. the .dsk is only meant for emulating floppy disks and doesn't work properly with larger formats.
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

isn't hsv dsk and all that stuff the same with only a different extension?
btw if im going to do so do i have to change the name? are will it look for any dsk hsv file?
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

another thinkg does it support hfv?
Hawkeyefile

Post by Hawkeyefile »

tried creating an hsv/hfv file id oes not work i used hfv explorer to creat the file. and it is using system 7.5.5 with a quadra 950 rom.
id like a little help such as tools to use and give me links please.
crossfadeking

Post by crossfadeking »

any chance of a updated version that will run on 2.6.

please
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

@Hawkeye: Everything I know is in this thread, really ...
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Some people have been wondering where to get the files and help, since the hosting ran out some time ago.

A backup of the forums can still be found at http://azforum.staticsolution.com.

The two binary versions of the program can still be downloaded:
Color (slow) http://az.staticsolution.com/BII_Color.zip
Fake Color (fast) http://az.staticsolution.com/BII_FakeColor.zip

These binaries were designed for version 1.5 PSP. I do not know anything about more recent versions. PM me if you want the source or to officially take over the project.

Reminder: You need a mac.rom file to use this emulator, which is still not legal to distribute. So you are limited to finding a Mac II and ripping the ROM, or buying mine since I'm not using it (i've long ago trashed the computer since it stopped working and I'm no longer in possesion of a PSP).
w00t
jonty_rocks3

Post by jonty_rocks3 »

hi,
i got the 7.5.5 working but how do I get the 8 version working?

A) Where can I get Mac OS 8?

B) How do I install it?

C) If possible could someone PM me a link to a ready-made system.dsk with Mac OS 8 on it please?

BTW Chaos excellent software!!!!!! ;)
jonty_rocks3

Post by jonty_rocks3 »

anyone?
all i need is a working system.dsk with OS 8 installed. Could anyone give me a link or PM me with a link?
thanks,
jonty
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jonty_rocks3 wrote:hi,
i got the 7.5.5 working but how do I get the 8 version working?

A) Where can I get Mac OS 8?
From Apple or used on eBay.
B) How do I install it?
On a PC using Basilisk. Then copy the hardfile.
C) If possible could someone PM me a link to a ready-made system.dsk with Mac OS 8 on it please?
That's illegal no one on this site will do such a thing.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Just wondering if anyone here is going to continue this project ?

It would be very worthy to see how it all goes :)

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I have updating B2 to the latest on my todo list. There are a few items ahead of it, but I've at least gotten the latest B2 code, as well as the older PSP conversion.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Fair enough,

It would be good to see this take advantage of n00bz pikey and just have a powerPC mac in your pocket :D
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Oh yes, definitely. I've got a keyboard and just compiled libpspirkeyb last night after making some improvements to the keymap. That will certainly be in the emu when I update it.

IR keyboards are nice... all PSP owners should have one. :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Good to hear!

Cant wait to hear what you have updated (Audio i hope :D)

Would love to play mozpong or something on the PSP at full blast (Even that crafty System's Twilight game
Wally

Post by Wally »

I have started porting over the latest source myself.

However im stuck on FPU_registers

error as follows

Code: Select all

../uae_cpu/fpu/core.h:59: error: 'fpu_register' does not name a type
../uae_cpu/fpu/core.h:62: error: 'fpu_register' does not name a type
../uae_cpu/fpu/core.h:222: error: expected initializer before '*' token
make: *** [../uae_cpu/newcpu.o] Error 1
No idea .
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Check your sysdeps.h file for the appropriate defines needed by the fpu types.h.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Oh right :)

Will do :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

so sad to see this project die D:
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Not dead - merely haven't gotten to it yet. It's been long enough, I should check to make sure I have the latest code for the base. The original version of Basilisk for the PSP used the old code before it was altered to be almost pure C++, so that code cannot be used straight in the new Basilisk code base. Last I was working on it, I was redoing the port for the PSP from one of the other platforms (BeOS if I remember rightly).
Wally

Post by Wally »

ah cool!

One thing that i'd REALLY like to see eventually, is sound support and maybe proper color at a decent framerate.

I have a heap of games that use the mouse, and most are fun! (Crystal Crazy being one)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:ah cool!

One thing that i'd REALLY like to see eventually, is sound support and maybe proper color at a decent framerate.

I have a heap of games that use the mouse, and most are fun! (Crystal Crazy being one)
The Mac 68K version of Oxyd was always a favorite of mine.

I've already looked at the graphics - it won't be hard to add support for the PSP pixel format. I was a little surprised it didn't already have that format in it. Rather than make faster conversion code for the PSP, just add some code to the appropriate part of Basilisk. It's far easier and faster in the long run.
Wally

Post by Wally »

again cool!

and the audio :P