PSP Extentions sort of like DLL's

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Produkt

PSP Extentions sort of like DLL's

Post by Produkt »

The Studio Insomniac Produkt (which I work for) our game (currently on the pc for for testing.)

the final plan for the game is to offer modding where just like some popular PC games you can create your own content and gameplay setups.

our PC test version pulls the game code from a DLL now if we wanted to do this for the psp how would we do this?
CPUWIZ

Post by CPUWIZ »

Surely, you should be asking that question here instead: https://psp.scedev.net !
Produkt

Post by Produkt »

we havent gotten our clearance for the official dev kit... our budget is tighter than a size 6 on a 400 pound fat chick....

i was hoping the community knew something about this so that it would be practical uppon release.
maddogjt1

Post by maddogjt1 »

I don't know anything officially about this, but I would assume that sony would not allow anything like this. Any system that allows a user to run unsigned code is s huge security risk for them. The only outside posibility would probably to create some type of virtual machine but even that may pose too many security risks.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

also, before you dont have an official devkit....i wouldnt even think about making a psp game commercially :=P
rinco

Post by rinco »

Lua is a popular language for post-production game modification (eg: WoW). Java and Python are also fine choices.

PRX offers similar functionality to DLL... but as maddogjt1 points out, Sony is unlikely to allow any pro-dev to publish a game that downloads and executes arbitrary code outside of a sandbox. This technique could be used for homebrew, but it would be a security risk that no dev should endorse.
adresd

Post by adresd »

you could always develop your own overlay/loader system. and then implement it via that.

seeing as its an embedded platform (with the associated memory control etc) it shouldnt be a massive task.

Lot cleaner than some other solutions, but does leave holes unless thought through properly.