dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

fanispap

Post by fanispap »

AWESOME!!!!

Fantastic work crazyc. I was really looking forward to this day for PSP_DOSBox. Congratulations!

I tried some old adventures and here are the results:
Larry 6 - Working 60-70% speed
ECO Quest 1 - the same
Conquests of the longbow - the same
Quest for Glory IV - Working but really slow 10-20% UNPLAYABLE
Rick Dangerous 2 - Working 100%
Prince of Persia - Seems working but cannot be controlled

I think that PSP_DOSBox is going well. I think it has reached the speed of a 386SX or something like that. May you achieve the speed of a 486!

How about a Danzeff on-screen keyboard? I would really like to play old SCI Sierra Adventures where you input commands via keyboard and the current input method is discouraging. I think there are many examples of the Danzeff keyboard and it is the best method of text input for the PSP so far.

Thanks for your time
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Learn the p-sprint input a bit and you'll quickly be able to type fast enough.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Weaver1497 wrote: I assume you want to speed it up, I personally think compatibillity is incedible right now! What other things do you want to add?
I think as far as performance goes, most of the easy stuff has been done although I'd still like to get Tie Fighter playable. I'd like to get windows 3.1 working, it looks like WINOS2 is close to running but real win3.1 and windows 95 will not work without full paging support which would probably case an unacceptable performance hit.
The only problem with Duke 1 is that you can't save your game - if Ltrigger and Rtrigger were bindable you could though.
This will be in the next release.
hlide

Post by hlide »

crazyc,

this DOSBOX runs an x86 interpreter, not a dynarec, doesn't it ?
l00k

Post by l00k »

I tried getting windows 1.02 working but the install fails :(

grabbed it of an abandonware site that called xtc
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

hlide wrote:crazyc,

this DOSBOX runs an x86 interpreter, not a dynarec, doesn't it ?
Yes. I've thought about writing a recompiler, but an x86 is a large, difficult beast and so I've been working on easier things instead.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Retron wrote:
W00fer wrote:Can anybody try Duke Nukem 1 ?

It's unplayable, because you can't control it.

http://www.dosgames.com/dl.php?filename ... /1duke.zip
The only problem with Duke 1 is that you can't save your game - if Ltrigger and Rtrigger were bindable you could though.

Duke Nukem I was written to run on an XT and thus runs at full speed on Dosbox with the correct settings.

Disable all the soundcard emulators, MPU401 and modem in the dosbox.conf file, then set the following:

frameskip=0

and

cycles=400 (The 8088 in the XT only ran at 4.77 MHz, so even that's probably overkill)

finally, make youself a batch file to launch Duke. If you save this as d.bat, all you need to do is load Dosbox and press right twice then select to launch Duke Nukem.

Code: Select all

INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt
inputmap triangle s
INPUTMAP exec dn1
GREAT, thanks.

But why to disable sound ?

I'll just have to update my Dosbox version since i formatted my memstick to update to 3.30OE-A.
Last edited by W00fer on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Retron wrote: cycles=400 (The 8088 in the XT only ran at 4.77 MHz, so even that's probably overkill)
Try autocycles=true, mincycles=500, maxcycles=1500 instead.
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

CrazyC,
Are the above settings the "sweetspot" for all games, or just the game that that poster mentioned? I would love to know the best .conf for most games, cycles, etc.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

I would like to see win3.1 on this some day. i'm lerning C++ so i migt be of some use some day. BTW i'm swis so that acunts for the horibel spelling
sorry for spelling!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I've put up a new version. The triggers can now be remapped with rtrigger and ltrigger and the mouse/joystick buttons with button1 and button2. Also, mouse or joystick mode can be selected from the command line with "inputmap analog <mouse/joystick>" and remapped keys now repeat properly. I've done many changes to the input stuff so there are undoubtedly some remaining bugs. I've also fixed (worked around?) the bug that was crashing Duke Nukum 1 with sound enabled.
Weaver1497 wrote:CrazyC,
Are the above settings the "sweetspot" for all games, or just the game that that poster mentioned? I would love to know the best .conf for most games, cycles, etc.
These settings appear to be good for games which go at or near full speed.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Thanks for this new version, i'm going to love Duke with sound.
I'll try a game which requires mouse too.

But what were you saying for 386/486 games, are they too heavy ?

I want to try Wacky Wheels, hopefully it works.

EDIT: Wacky Wheels functions well, if you set it up first on your pc, and afterwards copy it to your memstick. Don't use sound emulation.

It's a very heavy game so i have to test out some cpu cycles and other speed up functions.

EDIT2: I see on the visual keyboard image, that you can type also the numeric digits (0-9), how to do that ?
Retron

Post by Retron »

crazyc wrote:I've put up a new version. The triggers can now be remapped with rtrigger and ltrigger and the mouse/joystick buttons with button1 and button2.
Brilliant! Duke Nukem I is now completely playable, great stuff.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Yes indeed, but sound is very choppy, seems a bitrate question i think.
Also, i've set Triangle to F1 (to open menu for saving) Ltrigger for S (save) and Rtrigger for 1 (saveslot 1).

But i need some buttons where i can bind the OPEN SAVEGAME from. Any help or your batfile ?
valerija

New version pleeease

Post by valerija »

[quote="crazyc"]I've put up a new version. The triggers can now be remapped with rtrigger and ltrigger and the mouse/joystick buttons with button1 and button2. Also, mouse or joystick mode can be selected from the command line with "inputmap analog <mouse/joystick>" and remapped keys now repeat properly. I've done many changes to the input stuff so there are undoubtedly some remaining bugs. I've also fixed (worked around?) the bug that was crashing Duke Nukum 1 with sound enabled.
[quote="Weaver1497"]CrazyC,
Where did you put that new version. I am really new on this forum, and woud like to have it pleeease. I am curently playing heart of china dos, sherlock holmes - lost files (cant get savestate), martian memorandum etc. soon i will send compatibility list but i ned new version to remap keys and solve wih savestates. thankyou,thankyou,thankyou
fanispap

Post by fanispap »

Just one question for crazyc:

Is it possible to use DOSBox 0.70? I think it is more stable and adlib emulation is better for one thing! In the new version of dosbox adlib sound doesn't crackle and stuff while it did in 0.63.

Please correct me if what I'm saying is wrong, I just want to help with my tiny little experiences!!!

Again THANK YOU crazyc, what you have accomplished so far is GREAT!!!
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

I'm pretty sure from what I've read 0.70 uses more ram than 0.60 so thats probably why he chose to port 0.60.

"Later versions use an array too large to fit in the PSP memory for indexing memory pages while this version has high level emulation of dpmi" -CrazyC (First post in this Topic)
Wally

Post by Wally »

I tend to find the sound a bit skippy on some games that are full speed such as dangerous dave.

Any ideas to why this might be happening?
DarthGameR

Post by DarthGameR »

crazyc wrote:I've put up a new version. The triggers can now be remapped with rtrigger and ltrigger and the mouse/joystick buttons with button1 and button2. Also, mouse or joystick mode can be selected from the command line with "inputmap analog <mouse/joystick>" and remapped keys now repeat properly. I've done many changes to the input stuff so there are undoubtedly some remaining bugs..
how can i remap only joystick "up" to x and keep left/right/down on analog?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote:I tend to find the sound a bit skippy on some games that are full speed such as dangerous dave.

Any ideas to why this might be happening?
If a game runs at any speed lower then %100 the sound will skip. There are workarounds but that is low on the priority list.
For various reasons, I don't intend to support remapping of the joystick axes other then x/y if anyone really wants such a thing.
DarthGameR

Post by DarthGameR »

crazyc wrote:
For various reasons, I don't intend to support remapping of the joystick axes other then x/y if anyone really wants such a thing.
is it possiple to remap x axe to buttons?
valerija

Nw version pleeease 2

Post by valerija »

This is really great stuff crazy c. I played lot of adventures, and it seems that old adventures of Sierra Heart of china, Adventures of Willy Beamish and Rise of the dragon working perfect, but a bit slower than original with quaky sound.

Can someone send me the links of latest software - patch, bin that is used. Also, I would like to ask, how to use patch EGA/VGA without destroying other files. Thankyou
longcu

Post by longcu »

crazyc wrote:I've put up a new version. The triggers can now be remapped with rtrigger and ltrigger and the mouse/joystick buttons with button1 and button2. Also, mouse or joystick mode can be selected from the command line with "inputmap analog <mouse/joystick>" and remapped keys now repeat properly. I've done many changes to the input stuff so there are undoubtedly some remaining bugs. I've also fixed (worked around?) the bug that was crashing Duke Nukum 1 with sound enabled.
Where can I get the new version?
l00k

jeeez

Post by l00k »

Here's one of many posts containing the links
crazyc wrote:New patch and binary. Fixed the audio somewhat and switched to the scummvm ym3182 emulator. Also, made the x87 use single floats instead of double, this will probably cause problems with some apps, but should be a lot faster with programs that use the fpu frequently. The 16 color vga modes now use 4bpp textures, not much of a speed improvement here though because converting the data from planer to packed is cpu intensive; if any has any ideas how to speed this up, right now it uses a lookup table , I'd like to hear them.
valerija

Post by valerija »

l00k wrote:Here's one of many posts containing the links
crazyc wrote:New patch and binary. Fixed the audio somewhat and switched to the scummvm ym3182 emulator. Also, made the x87 use single floats instead of double, this will probably cause problems with some apps, but should be a lot faster with programs that use the fpu frequently. The 16 color vga modes now use 4bpp textures, not much of a speed improvement here though because converting the data from planer to packed is cpu intensive; if any has any ideas how to speed this up, right now it uses a lookup table , I'd like to hear them.
Please do not loose your patience, sorry if i am stupid or something but i downloaded this patch and bin and it works fine, but where is this new version crazyc talked about in following text

I've put up a new version. The triggers can now be remapped with rtrigger and ltrigger and the mouse/joystick buttons with button1 and button2......
this is the version i am looking for, that one from a few days ago works fine but this looks even better because of stabile keymapping possibility

Once again i would like to say its a great work, a year ago it seemed impossible. Does anyone have a problem with saving state on Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes/i cannot solve it. Willy Beamish, Heart of China, and Rise of the dragon are working perfect with savestates.
Also, on Martian memorandum (great game) screen freezes everytime when i get in hold little screen with my (Tex) secretary on it. Thank you for the patience[/b]
hlidea

Post by hlidea »

valerija wrote: Please do not loose your patience, sorry if i am stupid or something but i downloaded this patch and bin and it works fine, but where is this new version crazyc talked about in following text
crazyc always posts new binary and patch with the same link,so you already got the newest.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Also,

I have been trying to get theme park working,

I get the main menu to run then i cant control the cursor but have mapped the mouse to analog.

Is there a special way you do this, or is what you posted fine?

Please fill me in,

Wally
valerija

Re: Is this still under development?

Post by valerija »

planetusa wrote:
oninotsume wrote:Sorry if this question has already been proposed, or if I unwittingly say something very nooby, but is Dosbox for the PSP still under development? It sounds like such a great idea. I'm thinking it would be awesome to play some of my old dos games like Willy Beamish, Wing Commander, Ultima, Rise of the Dragon, etc., but is that hoping too much from the PSP?
You could play rise of the dragon via the sega cd emulator.....

I do.

Michael
I never heard sega cd emulator for psp is out. If this is true, send me the link to download it, but i dont believe that is

Anyway
Dosbox PSP - Willy Beamsih - works fine with skippy sound
Heart of China - same
Rise of the dragon - same
On all of the games above is recomended to set mouse speed to maximum exept Willy where this is imposible
Continuing to test compatibility of other Sierra/Dynamix games
l00k

Post by l00k »

Has it not been established yet that most games work but work slowly

Dont think theres much need to keep posting about a game working slow

Until its optimised thats the it will always be.

BTW I cant get alone in the dark working.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

BTW I cant get alone in the dark working.
Is there any crash info, or is it just freezing?
I have been trying to get theme park working,

I get the main menu to run then i cant control the cursor but have mapped the mouse to analog.
I don't have this game, so it will be difficult to diagnose. Does it work in the PC Dosbox?