dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

adtbm

WOHAAA CrazyC you are the best !!!

Post by adtbm »

I would have never thought, that a speed increase like this would be possible.
I tried to play lost dutchman mine quite a while ago...and now it runs smooth !!!

I only can bow my head and say what you have done is great!!!!

THANKS THANKS THANKS

@ l00k: Thanks for the Dos Navigator posting. nice tool !!!
Retron

Re: REMAPPING

Post by Retron »

DarthGameR wrote:remapping doesnt work for me. i tried using batch file & inputting commands directly but they dont affect the game. it just continues to run with the default ones.
Yup, the same happens here too.

The change to the VGA code seems to have borked EGA emulation, in that Duke Nukem I and Commander Keen 4 both crash when launching (in the latter's case, after you go past the text-mode loading screen).

Wolf and Prince of Persia both load fine, both of which run in VGA.
hlidea

Post by hlidea »

Thanks a lot.It's amazing to see so many old dos games playable on PSP.Great work!!
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

cloudhunter wrote:Are you going to consider implementing any keyboard libraries, such as pi-key by Fanjita?

Cloudy
Second that !

And where to find the new binary ?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Retron wrote:
DarthGameR wrote:remapping doesnt work for me. i tried using batch file & inputting commands directly but they dont affect the game. it just continues to run with the default ones.
Seems to work here. Did use use "inputmap exec <program>" to run the game?
Retron wrote:The change to the VGA code seems to have borked EGA emulation, in that Duke Nukem I and Commander Keen 4 both crash when launching (in the latter's case, after you go past the text-mode loading screen).

Wolf and Prince of Persia both load fine, both of which run in VGA.
Hmmm... looks like I broke something when I fixed 2 color CGA mode.
Are you going to consider implementing any keyboard libraries, such as pi-key by Fanjita?
I'll look at it.
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Hi,

thanks crazyc for the good work!

Just a question: I tried with the 738.704byte sized dosbox elf file as well as the 1.073.276 elf file (how about introducing versions of your port?). Both give me an "Illegal command: INPUTMAP." error when I want to use it in batch as well as directly written on the commandline. What am I doing wrong?

cheers

-- MK2k
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Ok, i tracked the issue with "Illegal command: INPUTMAP" down to the following:

It works, if you DO NOT make a "SET PATH=c:\blablubb" in the dosbox.conf file. Bummer :)

-- MK2k
Retron

Post by Retron »

crazyc wrote: Seems to work here. Did use use "inputmap exec <program>" to run the game?
Aha, I didn't - I set up a batch file to do the remapping then another one to run the game.

Running the whole lot from a batch file, including the exec line, makes it work.

Many thanks for your help - I've got some old Apogee games running now at a playable speed!
DarthGameR

Post by DarthGameR »

crazyc wrote:
Retron wrote:
Seems to work here. Did use use "inputmap exec <program>" to run the game?
yes. but the keys arent remapped. i try to run prince of persia, the game loads fine but i cant move/do anything. heres the batch file:

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP square s
INPUTMAP triangle l
INPUTMAP circle g
INPUTMAP start enter
INPUTMAP select esc
SYSOPT clock 333
INPUTMAP exec prince
and for some reason when i press start it goes into joystick mode.
DarthGameR

Post by DarthGameR »

it seems to be going into joystick mode automatically. is there any way to map joystic buttons/axes
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

New patch and binary at the same links as on the previous page that fixes the 16 color vga/ega breakage. Also, the start text and crash dump now contain a build date and time.
yes. but the keys arent remapped. i try to run prince of persia, the game loads fine but i cant move/do anything. heres the batch file:
I'm not sure what is going on here, I don't have this game to test. Do other games have the same problem?
It works, if you DO NOT make a "SET PATH=c:\blablubb" in the dosbox.conf file. Bummer :)
Try "SET PATH=z:\;c:\blablubb".
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Ah thanks, works with z:\ added to path.

I just want to address another thing, but don't really know if it isn't just a matter of configuration:
Pressing INPUTMAP mapped keys in menus is getting rather hard as it repeats the button damn fast (e.g. one press of esc results in 6x esc presses). So selecting menu points often needs many tries. It is not very clear to me if the button itself is internally "held" or "pressed multiple times", if it is the first then it'd be a clock issue(?)
Wally

Post by Wally »

crazyc to spare us all some time, would you mind putting the link to new binaries into your signature?

Would be a bit more convenient :)

Wally
DarthGameR

Post by DarthGameR »

crazyc wrote:
I'm not sure what is going on here, I don't have this game to test. Do other games have the same problem?.
most games with joystick support have this problem
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

DarthGameR wrote: most games with joystick support have this problem
Do you mean that dosbox is going into joystick mode, or that the game is? If the first then something strange is happening as I have several games that use the joystick and they all work fine. If the second then put it into joystick mode by pushing ltrigger+rtrigger+down+start at the same time to put the stick and triggers into joystick mode.
Pressing INPUTMAP mapped keys in menus is getting rather hard as it repeats the button damn fast (e.g. one press of esc results in 6x esc presses).
There is currently no way to slow the repeat rate in mapped mode. I'll try to fix it soon.
DarthGameR

Post by DarthGameR »

crazyc wrote:
DarthGameR wrote: most games with joystick support have this problem
Do you mean that dosbox is going into joystick mode, or that the game is? If the first then something strange is happening as I have several games that use the joystick and they all work fine. If the second then put it into joystick mode by pushing ltrigger+rtrigger+down+start at the same time to put the stick and triggers into joystick mode.
thanks it works now. is there a way to remap joystick buttons? i want to remap up(analog) to square and rtrigger to x
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

DarthGameR wrote: thanks it works now. is there a way to remap joystick buttons? i want to remap up(analog) to square and rtrigger to x
It'll be in the next release.
Nono-O

Windows 3.11

Post by Nono-O »

When I install windows then display "setup and blablabla ... error" or so.
I install dosbox on my PC an then instal windows on my PC. it work..for my pc.
Then i copy the files onto my psp and start dosbox. Wehen i start windows with the command "win" then first display the logo and then
"" cannot use a device fl that is specified in the system.ini file.the file maybe ncccssary to run windows.

if you experience problems, try running the windows setup program again. If the file is included in another softwae package, you may need to reinstall the software that uses the file.
dosmgr""

WIn3.11 install : http://www.nono-o.com/wininstall.MOV
win3.11 start: http://www.nono-o.com/winstart.MOV

this is what he say
---
please work on win3.11 i think this is a good platform for work or play ;)
what say u about this?

---
sry for my bad english
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Hmmm, I tried to install Win3.11 under Dosbox 0.60 too, but didn't work out on the win32 dosbox either, dunno if there is any hope for that.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Try installing Win 3.11 on the PSP, should work :) Copying from platform to platform never does
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote:Try installing Win 3.11 on the PSP, should work :) Copying from platform to platform never does
Win 3.1 will try to load dosx in standard mode and win386 in enhanced mode, neither of which will work without full paging support as in later DOSBox versions. Don't bother trying to port DOSBox 0.70 though because it will use too much ram and even if it didn't it would be a lot slower. If you try to run krnl386 directly, it will either say "Inadequate DPMI Server", do nothing or crash. The easiest way IMO to get win 3.1 working would be to port the vxd emulation from dosemu.
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

Weaver1497 wrote: GAMES IVE TESTED THAT WORK:
Space Quest 1 VGA Remake
Space Quest 4 CD version
Space Quest 5
King's Quest 5 CD version
King's Quest 6 CD version (some audio errors, unlike other CD versions)
Gabriel Knight CD version
Police Quest 1 VGA Remake
Police Quest 3
Quest for Glory VGA Remake
Quest for Glory 3
Quest for Glory 4 CD Version
Leisure Suit Larry VGA Remake
Leisure Suit Larry 5
Conquest of the Longbow
Freddy Pharkus Frontier Pharmicist
Laura Bow - Colonels Bequest
Laura Bow - Dagger of Amon Ra
Rex Nebular
Sherlock Holmes - Case of the Serrated Scalpel
out of those games, i tested

Space Quest 5
King's Quest 5 & 6
QFG 1 & 3
Leisure Suit Larry 1 & 5
Police Quest 3

I could not get LSL 1 & 5 to work at all. as soon as the game starts, I get a dump error. looks similar to the ones posted, but i remember reading DEADBEEF within the error code.

also with Police Quest 3, i got 15 mins into the game, and i got the same dump error.

the games run at 60-75%.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Wally4000 wrote:crazyc to spare us all some time, would you mind putting the link to new binaries into your signature?

Would be a bit more convenient :)

Wally
I can't find them too. And Crazyc, if i download your file, rename it to EBOOT.PBP and place it in the PSP_DOSBOX dir, it's SMALLER than the 1.02 mb file that was in it, can't be correct right ?

I'm doing something wrong i think.
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

yeah yeah wrote:
Weaver1497 wrote: GAMES IVE TESTED THAT WORK:
Space Quest 1 VGA Remake
Space Quest 4 CD version
Space Quest 5
King's Quest 5 CD version
King's Quest 6 CD version (some audio errors, unlike other CD versions)
Gabriel Knight CD version
Police Quest 1 VGA Remake
Police Quest 3
Quest for Glory VGA Remake
Quest for Glory 3
Quest for Glory 4 CD Version
Leisure Suit Larry VGA Remake
Leisure Suit Larry 5
Conquest of the Longbow
Freddy Pharkus Frontier Pharmicist
Laura Bow - Colonels Bequest
Laura Bow - Dagger of Amon Ra
Rex Nebular
Sherlock Holmes - Case of the Serrated Scalpel
out of those games, i tested

Space Quest 5
King's Quest 5 & 6
QFG 1 & 3
Leisure Suit Larry 1 & 5
Police Quest 3

I could not get LSL 1 & 5 to work at all. as soon as the game starts, I get a dump error. looks similar to the ones posted, but i remember reading DEADBEEF within the error code.

also with Police Quest 3, i got 15 mins into the game, and i got the same dump error.

the games run at 60-75%.
got LSL 1, 5, and 6 working. but since 1 and 5 keeping asking for copyright questions, dont see the point of playing them. same with PQ3 since you need a map to play it.

LSL 6 is working good. had to do some modifications to make that one work..but it's good. and running at 80-90%. no music.

if anybody can point me into the direction of QFG4, i'd appreciate it. it's one of my favorite games. the copy i have isn't working. keep getting weird error messages.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

W00fer wrote: I can't find them too.
Third post, first page.
W00fer wrote:And Crazyc, if i download your file, rename it to EBOOT.PBP and place it in the PSP_DOSBOX dir, it's SMALLER than the 1.02 mb file that was in it, can't be correct right ?
I switched to linking against uClibc++, so yes the most recent binaries are ~720KB.
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

CrazyC,
Just a question to you, what features would you like to impliment on your emu in the future? I was away for the weekend and I have to tell you playing DOSBox on the go was absolutely INCREDIBLE!

I assume you want to speed it up, I personally think compatibillity is incedible right now! What other things do you want to add?
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Working Legend Entertainment Games:

Frederik Pohl's Gateway
Companions of Xanth
Death Gate
Gateway 2: Homeworld
Eric the Unready
Spellcasting 101
Spellcasting 201
Spellcasting 301
Super Hero League of Hoboken
Timequest

And an issue:

Even if many games tend to be startable with the INPUTMAP exec command, one game does not want to: "Heartlight". It can be started directly but with the exec command it just quits saying "Invalid parameter". Any help about that issue is much appreciated as I do not really know how the INPUTMAP exec is working...
link to the game "Heartlight": http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1343

-- MK2k
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Can anybody try Duke Nukem 1 ?

It's unplayable, because you can't control it.

http://www.dosgames.com/dl.php?filename ... /1duke.zip
Wally

Post by Wally »

its playable,

read in this thread for advice
Retron

Post by Retron »

W00fer wrote:Can anybody try Duke Nukem 1 ?

It's unplayable, because you can't control it.

http://www.dosgames.com/dl.php?filename ... /1duke.zip
The only problem with Duke 1 is that you can't save your game - if Ltrigger and Rtrigger were bindable you could though.

Duke Nukem I was written to run on an XT and thus runs at full speed on Dosbox with the correct settings.

Disable all the soundcard emulators, MPU401 and modem in the dosbox.conf file, then set the following:

frameskip=0

and

cycles=400 (The 8088 in the XT only ran at 4.77 MHz, so even that's probably overkill)

finally, make youself a batch file to launch Duke. If you save this as d.bat, all you need to do is load Dosbox and press right twice then select to launch Duke Nukem.

Code: Select all

INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt
inputmap triangle s
INPUTMAP exec dn1