dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

crazyc

Post by crazyc »

vaporize wrote:I mean that the game reboot.
If I launch dm.exe it works great
If I launch inputmap exec dm, the game goes to the main menu, then restart.
Again, use the button combo to switch to mapped mode if "inputmap exec" doesn't work.
vaporize wrote:I can't use imgmount, the game does not require cd, it requires only main directory. Do you mean creating an .img file (with bximage) containing a virtual hdd then install the game on ? (Like for Windows 3.11)
Either this or imgmount the memory stick as above.
vaporize wrote:Down + LTrigger + X
This button combo won't do anything. To output numbers look at the p-sprint help.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

vaporize wrote:W00fer your screenshot seems perfect.
How do you have taken it ? (Personnaly I'm taking photo with my camera..
I've taken those screenshots while running IRshell 1.5 mode on the background.

If you run Irshell and then boot Dosbox up from there you can make screenshots with the music note button (enable first in IRshell config).
x-motra

Post by x-motra »

Hi there
first of all thanks to you crazyc for bring this awesome homebrew to psp owner
keep on with your amazing work!!

well I'm reading this topic and I found really useful tips ( just like Prince of Persia command.. now finally work!!)

But
I'm still without sound in my fav game : Discworld 1
I read about some guys got it to work with BGM and even if I try all the possible way..as Rincewind often said : "that's doesn't work" (n_n)
Does anybody please can post the right sound configuration for Discworld so I can paste it over mine

please it would be great for me!
thanks
fenrir911

ultima 8

Post by fenrir911 »

ultima8 requires the files to be set to 40 in DOS (thats the key word here) config.sys file, you cant img mount it trust me i tried, it requires that file which in dos was located id C:/windows/config.sys and it contained important stuff that loads at sstar... i dont know how you even managed to get dosbox starting without those files, those are vital files to dos, how you managed to do it i dont know but that makes you even awesomer
great job on the emu been enjoying playing ultima underworld 1 and 2 fullspeed :) and arena... not so good... its playable, i beat the first two dungeons, and am a lvl 8 spellsword, but i was wondering if you could optimize the opengl output to use pspgl, it actually is opengl optimized for use on the psp.

i love your emu and hope to see updates
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

CrazyC : I've tried to Imgmount Ultima 8, and I have infinite loading. The Psp load continuously but game never start.

w00fer : Thanks for the tips, I'll try it next time.

x-motra : The ripped version of Discworld runs without sound.
Try to get the iso and you'll have sounds.
Edit : all sounds working (Midi, Sfx and Voices)
Discworld 100% working it's sooooo good.

Sound config in setsound.exe is :
Midi : Ad Lib Music Synthetizer Card or 100% Compatible
Digital : Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32

fenrir911 :
You've beaten two dungeon and you are Level8 ?
Are you really playing Arena on the latest build ?
I can't load it with 0.71.
1st version (disk) : "exit to error: CacheBlock overrun 2 written 4300 size 4144"
2nd version (disk + patch / cd) : "exit to error : DynrecCore: illegal option in dyn_grp4_ev"
What's your method please ?
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

you can't use the cd version, you have to use the floppy version, because the cd had to load more files than the psp can handle simultaneously, so just get the one from thier site, the first dungeon is pretty laggy, but once your out and into towns its like full speed :)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Latest version of the Manual by me, Howling Mad Murdock:

http://rapidshare.com/files/62514825/Do ... ck_1.4.pdf

Version 1.4 (1.3 was skipped because of major changes).

New things:

Chapter on how to install Windows 3.11 ... will be expanded in the newr future, explaining how to get Word 6.0, Excel 5.0 and other appls for WIn3.11 on your PSP!

Various changes

more pictures added illustrating the processes

I don't remember what I've changed, so it shoudl be much ;)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

A question just popped up my mind:

Is it impossible to enable writing to an ISO?!

I know is is not meant to be written to, but hey, u never know ... ;)

Sorry, for double posting!
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

hmmm... i really didnt get your questopn, if your asking if dosbox can write to an iso, no it cant. if your asking if dosbox can mount an iso, yes it can, you can do that and it should work cause i did that with daggerfall and it workd, but after picking your class it just gives me a black screen.. :(
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

Murdock : You can write into an image only with .img (Bximage file, no CloneCD file)

Create image.img with bximage.exe (you can find it into Bochs) and note all hdd idenfication.
Then into dosbox mount your image.img with command line :
imgmount c 50mb.img -size 512,63,16,101 -t hdd
(You will replace 101 by your valor, depend on the size of the hdd you've chosen)
You obtain an empty hdd, don't forget to use "fdisk" and "format" to create a partition, else you can't do anything with. You have to boot with Dos 6.22 to do this.

It's what I've used for Windows 3.11, now I can install apps in.
If for any reason you need to edit image.img content with another apps than Dosbox, you can use Winiso, it works great.

Fenrir911 : Thanks for Arena and your .bat, it works !
I'm in the 1st city, it's very slow : /
I'm trying your options, but I can't have it full speed, I keep trying
Last edited by vaporize on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

heres my arena.bat

INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP triangle m
INPUTMAP square lshift
INPUTMAP cross j
INPUTMAP circle a
sysopt clock 333

@A -sa:220 -si:7 -sd:1 -ssbdig.adv

try taking out the md's, that might be the problem

never use inputmap exec, instead use @, oh and if you want to speed it up switch the output from surface to opengl, put aspect to none and scaler to none, and set your cycles to somewhere between 9500 & 12000
set the detail to zero
and im going to make the floor textures one color so that the game wont lag.

@vaporize, you can also write to an iso, dosbox has the best compatibility with iso and has less stability with img

glad i could help :) you should also try ultima underworld, it works full speed
Last edited by fenrir911 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
x-motra

Post by x-motra »

@vaporise: thanks for yours tips!
fenrir911 wrote:you can't use the cd version, you have to use the floppy version, because the cd had to load more files than the psp can handle simultaneously, so just get the one from thier site, the first dungeon is pretty laggy, but once your out and into towns its like full speed :)
so do you mean that floppy version has background music too..
thanks to vaporise I'm trying with some sound configuration but I'm still with no-sound at all..
can you please tell me how you did it?

and if I patch floppy version then I must mount it as a cdrom right?
but when I open disc.bat it say "Discworld cannot find discworld cdrom" or something similar..
Last edited by x-motra on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

use my arena.bat and go into your dosbox.conf make sure you have the soundblaster set to sb16
sbbase 220
irq 7
dma 1
hdma 5

@ vaporize make sure you set the memsize to ten, itll stop the lag
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

@ x-motra :

fenrir911 is talking about Elder Scrolls Arena, not Discworld ;)

For disworld sounds, mount and install the cd version, run setsound.
choose these parameters:
Midi : Ad Lib Music Synthetizer Card or 100% Compatible
Digital : Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32

Then launch dwb and it should works, this is what I've done.

@ fenrir911 :

I've sent you a PM.
My memsize is at 10, I've tried all output settings, and differents cycles valors but this does not seems to accelerate.
For Daggerfall, I have a dagger.exe which generate a 20Mb swap file on the ms, game is running but it's very slow.
Edit : Yes daggerfall goes ingame
Last edited by vaporize on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

did you get daggerfall in game?
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Murdock wrote:Folks, come on!

Half the questions you are asking have already been answered at least 4 times here in the forum ...

Take ur time to read through it, as others have done before you! I even spend some hours and made a rudimentary manual for DosBox PLUS I compiled DosBox, added stuff for you to make it easy to use, etc. ... I don't even expect any1 to appreciate that, but at least show respect by READING the thread b4 spamming it with du... not dumb, but unnecessary questions, THANK YOU!

again: link to manual and latest DosBox ... if there's a password, then it is "Murdock", I can'T remember atm ...

A new version of the manual is following within the next few days. Maybe Crazy, can u add it to the first post of yours, in which you are updating your releases? I think it MIGHT prevent further repetitions ... if u agree to add it, I'll send you the PDF in a PM ...
You could put it in your sig.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

vaporize wrote:Murdock : You can write into an image only with .img (Bximage file, no CloneCD file)

Create image.img with bximage.exe (you can find it into Bochs) and note all hdd idenfication.
Then into dosbox mount your image.img with command line :
imgmount c 50mb.img -size 512,63,16,101 -t hdd
(You will replace 101 by your valor, depend on the size of the hdd you've chosen)
You obtain an empty hdd, don't forget to use "fdisk" and "format" to create a partition, else you can't do anything with. You have to boot with Dos 6.22 to do this.

It's what I've used for Windows 3.11, now I can install apps in.
If for any reason you need to edit image.img content with another apps than Dosbox, you can use Winiso, it works great.
hmm, thanks for the hint.

Unfortunately, I do not understand you entirely :(

You are saying that it is possible to create an IMG file, mount it in DosBox for PSP and it is not write protected so you can use it like an "ordinary" hard drive?

That'd be awesome ;) But I didn't understand what you wrote about those numbers. What do they mean?

[EDIT]: I just tried to do that and downloaded this Bichs stuff. Pretty complicated thing, but seems to be a good applocation. But I do not want to dive into all this stuff, just to make a hard drive image. And I think i'll pretty much run into another problem:

As far as I understand, you can create such an image (as I did already), but this is only an image file, representing a physical hard drive. It is UNFORMATED and there isn't any partition. Hence, I have to install Dos on it to get it running. But I wanna use it later in DosBox. And there I won't need DOS and moreover it'll be very disturbing. May I just delete this DOS later before I use the hard drive with DosBox?

Additionally, I always run into errors when I try to install FreeDOS in Bochs. Are you an expert with that app? Could u drop me a Bochs Config file, ready-2-go, so I just need to enter the names of the images?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

OKay, this is my status at the moment:

1. I made an image with this bx-tool of Bochs ...

2. there was no file system on it and I did not manage to get Bochs running, so I tried getting a file system to the new image file via DosBox

3. I succeeded by using a DOS boot floppy image and fdisk + format to get the image formatted and ready

4. I tested copying a sinle file onto the hard drive and it worked.

5. I wanted to install windows on the hard drive (which I now mounted with the command imgmount c c:\c.img -size 512,63,16,203 -fs fat), so I mounted the installation folder one time as a: and the other time as d:

6. I always get the FUCKIN error that the drive might be write protected!!! WHY??!?!?!?!?!?!

I don't get this! I can write single files to the fuckin image file, but I can't copy an entire folder or install windows! It always gives me errors like "unable to delete folder windows"

This is going on my nerves tremendously!

I had a little research on the web and found a manual how to do this here:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=7260

This guy does it pretty much the same way.
I even followed his guide step by step after I failed multiple times because I thought I might have overlooked something or whatever. NOTHING!!! Same stupid fucking errors!

Do I have to tell DosBox to enable writing to the image?! I doubt it, since I successfully wrote a single file to the image with "COPY" command

Any help is highly appreciated ... going to have a look at my university books now ... doubt I can concentrate on 'em because of this fuckin problem!

Greetings!

[EDIT] Oh, I think it's not necessary to mention that I did this on my comupter ... I didn't even dare to try formating on the PSP .. :) this should have taken years to format 100 MB ;) I was planning to set the drive up with windows and some applications and then copy it over to the PSP to mount it with DosBox 4 PSP ...
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

Murdock, I advise you to install windows in a directory, not yet into "image.img", else it does not work.

This is exactly what I've done :

- Create "image.img" with bximage, put it into "c:\dosbox" in Windows Dosbox version
- Mount it, fdisk it and format it (with dos 6.22 bootdisk), then backup this empty hdd file if you want to keep a save.

- On Windows Dosbox, mount "C:\dosbox\" into "C", and your windows 3.11 setup files into "A"
- Install Windows 3.11 into this "C"
- Try it, go into "Windows" directory then type "WIN"
- Windows 3.11 should be starting and working (on Windows Bosbox only)

- On your real hdd, now you have "C:\dosbox\windows" directory
- Install WinImage (http://www.winimage.com/), the demo version is enough
- Open your "image.img" with WinImage then drag & drop your "c:\dosbox\windows" Directory and the files "autoexec.bat" & "config.sys" into, save the image. Now you have windows 3.11 injected in your "image.img".

- Copy your new "image.img" into psp "ms0:/dosbox/"
- Start Dosbox Psp and type this, or use a .bat :

mount d ms0:/dosbox
d:
imgmount c image.img -size 512,63,16,203 -t hdd
mount -u d
c:
cd windows
win

Your Windows 3.11 is starting and should be write enabled (I can install apps)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Well ... I haven't thought about that, yet ... thanks a lot!

But can u explain me what the problem with this f... thing is?

I mean I can actually copy many files at once to and from the image with "copy *.*" command and it worx, but I can not copy a single file with the Windows 3.11 file manager, neither can I install windows via the setup, because it tells me (like Windows itself) that the file it wants to create is write protected!!! (WHAT DA FUCK?!)

Can u explain that?

[EDIT] Thank you ... it worked :) Is it also possible to use Ultra ISO? Basically, it should be the same application, but it's specialized to CD/DVD ISOs ...
Last edited by Murdock on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

Nope sorry I can't explain, it's a mystery.
I've just found this method with luck and persistence, but I don't know why it is working.

Edit : Ultraiso/Isobuster/Winiso/Etc... are opening CD Image file format, they are opening Clone CD .img files, no BXImage .img files. These aren't the same files at all, CloneCD img is only a cd image, BXImage img is an hdd image, with all hdd identification settings, filesystem and MFT.
The only software I know which is opening bximage .img files is Winimage.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

vaporize wrote:Nope sorry I can't explain, it's a mystery.
I've just found this method with luck and persistence, but I don't know why it is working.

Edit : Ultraiso/Isobuster/Winiso/Etc... are opening CD Image file format, they are opening Clone CD .img files, no BXImage .img files. These aren't the same files at all, CloneCD img is only a cd image, BXImage img is an hdd image, with all hdd identification settings, filesystem and MFT.
The only software I know which is opening bximage .img files is Winimage.
hm, okay. Maybe I'll ask for an explanation in the DosBox forum ...

to ur [edit]: well, yeah thinking about it now ... it's obvious to me ... I am busy with literature atm, and this problem kept bugging me ... so I wasn't thinking about one of them entirely :)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

OKay, After another run with vaporizer's method of making an image and injecting the windows files, I come (once again!) to the same result. It is possbile to get Windows running in an image file which is (THEORETICALLY!) writable. This means that you can bypass the annoying error message of Windows 3.11 that win.ini is write-protected (or whatever!). Unfortunately, every try to write any file from Windows 3.11 to the drive c: (the Image file) fails and some strange error messages appear (depending on what program tries to write to the drive, like File Manager, Ami Pro 3.1, Word, etc.)

I can't explain that circumstance, but I'll register over at the Dosbox forum and as why thisis the case.

Frthermore, I'll upload the image I have created for all of you to download, INCLUDING Windows 3.11 nd Ami Pro 3.1 ... I KNOW that these applications are copyright protected and shoudl not be distributed. BUt first of all, they CAN be treated as abandonware, since both are no more sold and the support has been ceased. Secondly, this upload is for studying purposes only and only meant for ppl. legally owning a copy of those applicaitons. NO SERIAL number has been entered and this SHOULD be done as soon as the files have been downloaded. IF any admin or whoever is against linking to those files, I won't link them here. But PLEASE, do NOT punish afterwards. As I said, I WILL upload them, I don't have yet. IF you don't want it, tell me within the next day. I think I'll have managed to upload the files the day after tomorrow and linked them here, IF I don't get a veto by some superior ppl. around here ... but NOT as a PM, I usually don't look at them, please as a reply!

Thx in advance

[EDIT] Oh, I am sorry, all this off-topic babbling here has drowned my bug posting for DosBox:

Crazy, I know you've already tried to reduce the cracking sounds during emulation, but can u have another look at that? In some apps/games it is really annoying. And somehow I doubt it has anything to do with the speed issue, since Startrek 25th anniversary CD edition runs pretty smoothly, just the sound "sounds" very cracking ...

[EDIT no.2 ;) ] I tired your hint about Dungeon Keeper and the crash ...

muhahahah it'S alive! It's aaaaaaliiive!!!! :D

It runs terribly slow and according to your comment on the potential of Dosbox and the optimisation will probably never run at full speed, but it's very nice to see it running! :D

[EDIT no.3]: Just tried to swap the DOS4GW against the other file in the M.A.X folder, too .. but it still gives me the following error message, thought it might be usefull for you to fix some bugs ;)

Last edited by Murdock on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

l00k wrote:hi

just playing around witth this nice project. I was finding the command prompt a bit fiddley so I stuck this on to auto boot from dosbox.conf

http://www.ritlabs.com/download/dn/dn151.zip

I used something similar back in the day when my brothers were too thick to type.

also found dropping the mouse sensetivity down to 10 helped alot
What is this dn151.zip program? And why does ritlabs.com homepage only do Bat programs?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

andrewwan1980 wrote:

What is this dn151.zip program? And why does ritlabs.com homepage only do Bat programs?
This website has NOTHING to do with the application you have downloded (I guess). dn1.51 is most likely DOS Navigator ... an application similar to Dos Commander or Norton Commander.

You can use it to browse your folders in DOS or in this case in DosBox.

If you are too lazy to set this up, I recommend a ready-2-use comiled DosBox version like this one:
http://rapidshare.com/files/56706485/Do ... x_0.71.rar

IF Winrar asks for a password, and only IF ... it must be "Murdock".

This DosBox comes with the no more uptodate manual 1.2, read it to know how to install DosBox and how to use it. Download the new version of the manual from my sig ... included is sth. like a SHORT FAQ section at the beginning and other usefull new things.
If you THEN (after reading the whole thing ;) ) have further questions, ask here. Read the manual or the entire post ;) I think basically every major question asked here is answered in the manual. Maybe even more.

Just finished the new version of DosBox manual, Version 1.5 ... uploading now. Here the Contents of the 1.5 so far:

UPLOADED: http://rapidshare.com/files/62992104/Do ... ck_1.5.pdf

Contents:

1. Frequently Asked Questions – What do I need to know before I use DosBox 4 PSP?
2. Installing DosBox on your PSP
3. How to type in DosBox?
a. Typing letters
b. How to write CAPITAL LETTERS
c. How to type 1, 2, 3, … 9 & F1, F2, … F12
d. The mouse
e. Joystick for playing
f. Keyhint
g. Key combos needed in certain games, such as CTRL+Q

4. Mounting a Virtual Drive
a. Why is this important?
b. How to do that?
5. Making DosBox easy-2-use
6. Installing Windows 3.xx
a. Why Windows 3.xx cannot just be copied to the PSP
b. How then, can Windows run in the virtual environment?
c. Installing Windows 3.xx

7. Miscellaneous things related to DosBox
a. How to bind computer keyboard keys to PSP buttons
b. Important Settings in the dosbox.conf file
c. “Secret” button combos
d. Getting a game running that crashes Dosbox right after loading with dos32a.exe[/u]
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hi again CrazyC

Since it's been a while since you've released a new version of DosBox 4 PSP, I wanted to ask you how it is going :) Can we expect some new "features" or improvements in a upcomming release, maybe in the recent future?

I'm sorry if I go on your nerves, but u keep very silent about what you are doing and how far you are. Could u inform us a little about the latest developments? It'd be awesome to hear from ya. Oh, and have you considered the latest error screens and reports? How about the sound cracking? Any improvements?

Thx in advance!
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Second that, i will try using Windows 3.11 as soon as i found the floppy disks (10 of them lol) with my legal Windows 3.11 installation :)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:I'm sorry if I go on your nerves, but u keep very silent about what you are doing and how far you are. Could u inform us a little about the latest developments?
I've been busy lately, I don't expect to have much time for a little while longer.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

crazyc,
you might want to look at zx'es text edit sorce. because the targus lags in dosbox but it dosnt lag in zxes app.
sorry for spelling!
nbcooler

DOsbox Error.

Post by nbcooler »

Hi everyone & everydevelopmenter

I found this dos-emulation for psp, surprised !

But when i download it and copy it to \PSP\GAME371\ and run it

It prompt me that "Error 80020148"

how to fix it?? Help me~~~

Notice: my psp system is 3.71 m33