Why not use the wipeout browser and JAVASCRIPT?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

pokesomi

Why not use the wipeout browser and JAVASCRIPT?

Post by pokesomi »

it would be simple enough and we wouldnt have to worry about the security as much as we do now. True, javascript cant do everything, but for the httpd and ftpd programs, it could work. and it would bypass the 1.51 and 1.52 lockout.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying, but it sure doesn't seem like exploitation research to me. If you are implying that people can make software with javascript, then I am here to say that there are no software requests.
Lego of my Ago!
TheDevilsJester

Post by TheDevilsJester »

If you want to go the java script route, why not wait for 2.0 update on the 27th which includes a built in browser? No need for wipeout.

Javascript is far from the ideal solution for game and homebrew development, especially on a 200-333mhz cpu. Emulators would be a no go, and homebrew games would be very limited.
pokesomi

Post by pokesomi »

but it would BYPASS the encription and we would have a way to run apps through the psp without having to crack the encryption. I realize that it would be hard to do games, but javascript is adaptable and is UNSECURED!
Polymira

Post by Polymira »

No offence ... but that is the 2nd dumbest thing i've heard today...
TheDevilsJester

Post by TheDevilsJester »

Have you ever used Javascript? Really? On a modern PC its slow, imagine running inside of a browser thats running in a 200mhz (or less) system (I doubt the wipeout browser goes over 100mhz, and the new firmware one probably doesnt either)

Emulators would be a no go definitly, and games would be limited.

Assuming you can access local pages (off the mem stick) you can probably call API's and increase the CPU speed, if you cant, then you would need a wifi hotspot to even use the javascript abilities.'

Its not worth it.
pokesomi

Post by pokesomi »

i realize that getting remote programs to work would be difficult but they make javascript ftp programs that one could use? Might that work?
cyod

Post by cyod »

You can't write anything serious in java (like an ftp search engine....). I think Javascript has no inherient way to open network connections using only javascript... Someone did write a simple tetris game using javascript but it didn't run very well.
Energy

Post by Energy »

Javascript is in no way designed to make games. It's designed for supposed extra boost when devloping websites. Many developers try to ignore it.

Just give it up. Trust me - most of the stuff you are seeing developed now would be impossible to recreate in javascript....

no one tell him about php connection capabilites either!
Latexxx

Post by Latexxx »

Why javascript isn't a viable solution:
  • no support for filesystem access
    no support for api calls
    no support for direct memory access
    no support for programming the buttons
    no support for any kind of hardware access
Javascript can only access some web related functions of the browser. The easiest way to familiriaise yourself with Js's limitations is to study a little bit of it and its functions (not the functions used when programming though).
sexdwarf

Post by sexdwarf »

plain and simple: javascript is a client side single session scripting language - and therefor can only access, manipulate etc data in the single instance that it gets called, and only items in the container and interpreter it is called in. most notably javascript is called via the web and therefor can only access the page (and child pages; or parent pages if it was spawned as a child) where it's code exists. additionally it can only use functionality that exists within it's interpreter - ever notice the differences in javascript implementations from IE, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari, Opera, etc etc...

yes, javascript can be used to make system level calls, if called in a real interpreter that ALLOWS it to do so - this will never be the case for web browsers..
...isn't it nice, sugar and spice...
...luring disco dollies to a life of vice...