IrDA File Transferrer

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

apsd

IrDA File Transferrer

Post by apsd »

I've written a program to transfer files from one PSP to another via infrared.

The major limitation is that the received file is put directly in the memory stick root, but this will be flexible in the next version. It's moderately slow, but it works :-) (next version will be optimized).

The program is here: http://www.breezynet.com/pspirfile.zip
and I'll release the source once I've cleaned it up.

(pspsdk and ReKleSS's raster graphics library were used.)

Read the README in the zip for more information.
maydaysos

Post by maydaysos »

hey this is a great tool. if i can ever get it to work.

times out. then says
press any key to continue.
ive heard that this doesnt work.

i hope it does. please tell me what im doing wrong
apsd

Post by apsd »

This version is pretty sensitive and vulnerable to disruptions but works well when everything is stable...

You can probably get the feel and sensitivity of it if you place the two PSPs on a desk. First start the receiver side then start the sender side.. Select the file and let it transmit...

Be sure to actually line up the IR ports...

If people really don't believe it, I'll post a video, heh.
maydaysos

Post by maydaysos »

is the reciever suppose to get any message saying its ready to recieve cuz nothing happens.

then on the sender side it get a timed out error.

cant wait for the next version.
apsd

Post by apsd »

The receiver doesn't give any message until it finds a sender...

Yeah, next version will definitely be smoother, I'll start cleaning it up now...
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Nice stuff! Is it also possible to make a version that just captures what it finds, if it finds anything? I'm thinking along the lines of making the PSP talk to IrDA enabled cellphones and laptops ...
subbie

Post by subbie »

any chance you can post the src?
I have been trying to play with the irda stuff but getting no luck.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

If a beautiful girl tells you she's done some modeling work in the past, and you ask her what 3D software she used, you might be a gamedeveloper.
apsd

Post by apsd »

Arwin,
Capture just what it finds? Wait 30 minutes for a pm :-)
The major protocol that I know for infrared between PDAs and cellphones is OBEX... in fact, there is a project called OpenOBEX that has all of this protocol code implemented. You can transmit differnet kinds of content through OBEX, (like vcards, etc), and IIRC you can define your own content type (kind of like content-type on the web). I'm considering porting some of this base code and writing a wrapper for the PSP if necessary and rereleasing it so people can interface it with their own projects...

subbie,
I'll release the source with the cleaner&smoother next version for sure... this should be fairly soon, like the end of this week.

Thanks,
~vsergeev
apsd

Post by apsd »

I wrote that quick IrDA Capture program by suggestion of Arwin..

Here it is: http://www.breezynet.com/pspirdacapture.zip

The source is included. It displays what it captures to the screen and also writes it to ms0:/irdacapture.

Thanks,
~vsergeev
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

apsd wrote:I wrote that quick IrDA Capture program by suggestion of Arwin..

Here it is: http://www.breezynet.com/pspirdacapture.zip

The source is included. It displays what it captures to the screen and also writes it to ms0:/irdacapture.

Thanks,
~vsergeev
Great stuff! I let my TV remote at it (Philips) in two different modes (for digital tv receiver and normal tv) and that showed up just fine. Then I picked up my old Sony Ericsson T68i and sent a request for transferring an image, no problems there either. T68 even showed up on the display. :)

I see now what people mean with that an IrDA keyboard should be fairly easy to do.

That OBEX implementation could be a pretty neat idea.
TheMightyChunk

Post by TheMightyChunk »

Question On The Capture Program ... Can We Re-Emit The Signals We Capture ... If So How Do I Go About Doing It ?
apsd

Post by apsd »

TheMightyChunk wrote:Question On The Capture Program ... Can We Re-Emit The Signals We Capture ... If So How Do I Go About Doing It ?
I wrote a quick program to emit the data of a file you select in response to your question... But, when I tested by capturing data from a remote control with IrDA Capture and then sending it out with this raw file emitter program, the TV didn't respond :-/.

I'm still thinking about what the problem could be. I've limited down to researching remote controls and finding out if there is any delay within the data sent out (anybody know?) and using another PSP to emit and capture a few files and make sure the software isn't affecting the transfer.

The program is up here for anybody who wants ot play around with it: http://www.breezynet.com/pspiremitfile.zip

I'll a post a revision once I figure it out in these next couple of days...

Thanks,
~apsd
TheMightyChunk

Post by TheMightyChunk »

Thank You Very Much apsd :-D !
There Is A Delay On Remote Controls (It Varies Most Likely) Between Certain Parts Of The Data ... (Just For Example) Device ID Code <2.6 MS> Function Code ... But It Is More Complicated Than That ... Some Parts Of The Data Is Transmitted Longer Than Others (Just For Example) Device ID Code [0.8 MS] <2.6 MS> Function Code [1.6 MS] ... But Thank You For The RAW Data Capture ... And Ill Google That Stuff Up ... I Googled The SIRCS Codes And So Far I Have Got That PS2 Remote Control Program To Control My Hi8 Cam ...

Here Are Some Links : Just A Quick Google ...
http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_ar ... rcodes.txt
http://www.boehmel.de/sircs.htm
http://www.edcheung.com/automa/sircs.htm
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... /sircs.htm
apsd

Post by apsd »

Awesome, thanks for the links....

I've been thinking of developing a remote control like program based on something like lirc (unless somebody has already claimed this - i'd be glad to help :-) )... Still thinking about it though. The OBEX project is another option.

The remote control project and OBEX project are the two useful existing projects I see the PSP can really do with infrared. (has anybody thought of anything else?)

Thanks,
~apsd
rinco

Post by rinco »

or for a link that lists nearly every sircs code known to man:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/

although parsing lirc remote/ files is a piece of cake.
Energy

Post by Energy »

apsd - I've been playing with the remote control, not knowing that there were others working on similar projects. I couldn't understand why it wasn't turning my TV on lol.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to stuff like this.
Thanks everyone for the examples tho! :)
sexdwarf

Post by sexdwarf »

rinco wrote:or for a link that lists nearly every sircs code known to man:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/
actually that's every Sony code...not every code...
...isn't it nice, sugar and spice...
...luring disco dollies to a life of vice...
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

apsd wrote:Awesome, thanks for the links....

I've been thinking of developing a remote control like program based on something like lirc (unless somebody has already claimed this - i'd be glad to help :-) )... Still thinking about it though. The OBEX project is another option.

The remote control project and OBEX project are the two useful existing projects I see the PSP can really do with infrared. (has anybody thought of anything else?)

Thanks,
~apsd
The IrDA keyboard project that someone is doing is definitely another one.

I'm looking at a small, cheap USB 2.0 to IrDA device currently myself, that would make it easy and cheap to write and test all sorts of IrDA software.

Some people are already working on the Remote Control, so I'd go for the OBEX - so far haven't heard from anyone working on that. I'd be happy to try to write further software for that, for contact management and such.

EDIT: By the way, do you have any idea how fast the port is? What are its transfer speeds, in kbps?
apsd

Post by apsd »

The infrared keyboard project doesn't make much sense to me sense the port is on the top.. :-/ But it's still a cool project to have working...

I'm going to start working on the OBEX project shortly... this will definitely open functionality/compatibiltiy with many other devices out there.

I'm not sure about the speed of the port. Do the PSP tech specs specify what kind of infrared port it is? (SIR/MIR/FIR/etc.?)
Nick Fury

Post by Nick Fury »

TheMightyChunk wrote:Thank You Very Much apsd :-D !
There Is A Delay On Remote Controls (It Varies Most Likely) Between Certain Parts Of The Data ... (Just For Example) Device ID Code <2.6 MS> Function Code ... But It Is More Complicated Than That ... Some Parts Of The Data Is Transmitted Longer Than Others (Just For Example) Device ID Code [0.8 MS] <2.6 MS> Function Code [1.6 MS] ... But Thank You For The RAW Data Capture ... And Ill Google That Stuff Up ... I Googled The SIRCS Codes And So Far I Have Got That PS2 Remote Control Program To Control My Hi8 Cam ...
This isn't new news to anyone here more than likely but there was a project using the Ipod as a remote control. They did it using some sort of IR transmitter/reciever and the headphone jack. They would record the noise and then play it back over the jack. I don't know if this info will help any but it was a cool little project. Perhaps converting the files to some sort of music format will allow the ability to record the blank spaces in the transmission.
TheMightyChunk

Post by TheMightyChunk »

This isn't new news to anyone here more than likely but there was a project using the Ipod as a remote control. They did it using some sort of IR transmitter/reciever and the headphone jack. They would record the noise and then play it back over the jack. I don't know if this info will help any but it was a cool little project. Perhaps converting the files to some sort of music format will allow the ability to record the blank spaces in the transmission.
A Project Of That Type Was Mentioned In My Original Post Before I Edited It ... They Have Also Done That With PDAs ...
Nick Fury

Post by Nick Fury »

Any thoughts on the feasibility of capturing to an audio-type format then? It seems like it would preserve the blank space in the tranmissions.
preetkk

Post by preetkk »

hi,
i just wondered if anyone had managed to make the psp infrared file transfer to other infrared devices (mobile phones, etc) app yet.

thanks
apsd

Post by apsd »

Hey,

I'm working on implementing the OBEX protocol for the PSP. It will allow the PSP to communicate with many more devices (including most mobile phones with IR) and essentially/eventually send files to them...

Thanks,
~apsd
preetkk

Post by preetkk »

nice one mate can't wait for that.

thanks for the reply
manix15

irda

Post by manix15 »

hey guys im new in this stuff because i never wanted to do stuff with my psp but i kind to getting into it, and i tried the progam you posted, but the psp tells me that it cannot be opened because th data is corrupted. what can i do?
thanks
nativeone

Would it be possible?

Post by nativeone »

To make a program that acts as a mirt?
[traffic signal pre-emption transmitter]
webphreak

Post by webphreak »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
First, I was checking out that IR emitter program and from what i can see it attempts to emit everything instantaniously (I know you guys have already said that) I checked this by putting the remote upto the camera on my cellphone and holding it down for an extended period of time and seeing if the light stayed on, it did. Now when i tried this with a recorded version on the psp it stayed on for about a second where the recording was about 30 seconds. So the delays are substantual.
Is it not possible to sync a time file with a raw file so that they can talk to each other?

I'm sure there are programs on Palm's and pocketPCs that do this with their inbuilt IR So just out of curiousity has anyone attempted to port one?

Please don't flame me if I've said something sub par I'm only telling everyone what I've found.

Also nativeone, from my understanding of MIRTs they need to have a very high powered LED Array do actually work so uness you are willing to climb a traffic light to change it I don't think that would be possible. but there is a fairly simple on here: http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/176/44/ if you are interested in them :)

Lastly if anyone was curious as to why I was using my phones camera to check for the Infra red its because (so says the writer of that I-hacked MIRT article) most if not all digital cameras and ccds etc. can pick up IR light so this got me thinking.

EDIT:
Oh I didn't realise how old the actual thread was, Sorry again for that i just looked at the last post date