Advancements in 1.51...

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

FrostAie

Advancements in 1.51...

Post by FrostAie »

Alright guys last night i was messing with update 1.52 and the japenese 1.5 and almost got it to downgrade,
What I did was put 1.52 in UPDATE on MS1, and 1.5 UPDATE on MS2,
Well i started the 1.52 and right when the splash screen disapears i put the psp in standby and then swap Memory sticks then it say Firmware UPDATE 1.5 and START, so i plugged it in to a AC charger and hit start and it looked like it was going to run but said i have the latest firmware and no need to upgrade, So i thought this was weird, was this ever discussed here before?
mvpo.geo

Post by mvpo.geo »

Good find, I have gotten almost that far but I never thought of putting the system into sleep mode. im gonna do what you did right now and see if it works.

hey, if you AIM or MSN message me on either (PM me if its for MSN)
Last edited by mvpo.geo on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spamming in your Sig? I never heard of such a thing....
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

yes it does u got to keep hitting up when the logo apears
make sure u doint turn it off i would post a video but on dial up connection
mvpo.geo

Post by mvpo.geo »

hmmmm gonna make some file edits on the updates....
Last edited by mvpo.geo on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

ha im only 13 whats your aim mines FPU4eva
Eclipse9069

Post by Eclipse9069 »

This was a great find, and I am gonna start running some tests myself.

Good job.
jmf

Post by jmf »

maybe its a damm lame question (and yeah, I am new at this) but, if there for some reason the firmware update fails? Like, u are updating the PSP and then you remove the memory card? You have "killed" your psp and have to send it to sony or it has an "emergency" sotfware that grabs any firmware?
I will not try because the psp is not mine, and my brother kills me if I brake this!

cheers
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

nope, won't work, sony has already thought of this. the update file for the newest firmware installs an md5 file in the psps system memory as soon as you start the update and it checks it before it copies the upgrade files I dont think we'll be able to downgrade until someone finds a way to access the hidden system files on the psp
jmf

Post by jmf »

okay... now I have two things I tested:

with the updates 1.52 and 1.50 I opened them, put the psar (I think was this.. kinda sleepy now) of the .52 in the folder of the .50, assembled in onde file again and put it on memory card. It appears as 1.52 update, I press O and it shows the psp animation. After a bit, it says that the data is corrupted. Can be that checksum that you were telling?

Other thing was (now I am with my mac, cant test it with windows that is kinda easyer) I started the online download of the 1.52 update, and let it reach the 4%, then I took of the memory card. Restarted the console, hooked the usb cable, made the usb connection, plugged the ms and the eboot was beeing downloaded to _UPDATE ... I dont know if this is a new or if is old info, but I was suprised because I tryed many folder names, and only UPDATE worked. Now I saw _UPDATE ... I will test something else and post something later, or maybe tomorrow!

Cheers

PS: Sorry my bad english :)
Eclipse9069

Post by Eclipse9069 »

jmf wrote:okay... now I have two things I tested:

with the updates 1.52 and 1.50 I opened them, put the psar (I think was this.. kinda sleepy now) of the .52 in the folder of the .50, assembled in onde file again and put it on memory card. It appears as 1.52 update, I press O and it shows the psp animation. After a bit, it says that the data is corrupted. Can be that checksum that you were telling?

Other thing was (now I am with my mac, cant test it with windows that is kinda easyer) I started the online download of the 1.52 update, and let it reach the 4%, then I took of the memory card. Restarted the console, hooked the usb cable, made the usb connection, plugged the ms and the eboot was beeing downloaded to _UPDATE ... I dont know if this is a new or if is old info, but I was suprised because I tryed many folder names, and only UPDATE worked. Now I saw _UPDATE ... I will test something else and post something later, or maybe tomorrow!

Cheers

PS: Sorry my bad english :)

I think it makes the "_UPDATE" folder as a temporary folder for the download storage and then as soon as you do go to update, the PSP changes the folder name to "UPDATE."
jmf

Post by jmf »

I'll give a shot on the full download, and when it stops and starts the update program, i'll hook off the ms....

EDIT: True, it renames to UPDATE but... Weird thing... I made a folder called _UPDATE% (dont ask me why) and then made the online update... I got a corrupted data and a update! Then I eliminated the Update that was working by the PSP and bang, no files no nothing, 17mb free!?
DrKickflip13

Post by DrKickflip13 »

Basically we tried the same idea before but without putting the PSP into standby. I'm thinking that when you put the PSP into standby it writes to the RAM so I'm wondering if we can find an exploit with that..hmm..oh well good find!
mvpo.geo

Post by mvpo.geo »

jmf wrote:I'll give a shot on the full download, and when it stops and starts the update program, i'll hook off the ms....

EDIT: True, it renames to UPDATE but... Weird thing... I made a folder called _UPDATE% (dont ask me why) and then made the online update... I got a corrupted data and a update! Then I eliminated the Update that was working by the PSP and bang, no files no nothing, 17mb free!?
the % doesn't work with 1.51 please read the other threads. The only type of string variable type thing that works on the end of a folder on 1.51 is %n but that just crashes the PSP.
mvpo.geo

Post by mvpo.geo »

Is their ANY TYPE OF HOMEBREW THAT WILL RUN ON 1.51? I mean even if its by Sony just as long as its not an update. Because anything that will run can potientually be exploited by this.
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

or try it with
\UPDATE%\EBOOT.PBP (1.52)
\UPDATE\EBOOT.PBP (1.51) {as here you can try with the actual 1.51 pbp, or the data.PSAR as pbp, or data.psp as the pbp and data.psar in the same folder}

have fun,
(as the chance of this to work is slim to none) :P

disclaimer: the above procedures are not tested, and I, nor anyone from the site here do not assume anyresponsibility 4 u testin' this.. blah blah...
ie do it on your own risk... etc... etc...

have fun kids ;)
mvpo.geo

Post by mvpo.geo »

Why do you guys insist on using % on the end of 1.51 files....it does nothing sony fixed that with this update.......

Plus your directions are horrible
Danj

Post by Danj »

mvpo.geo wrote:Why do you guys insist on using % on the end of 1.51 files....it does nothing sony fixed that with this update.......
Actually, it doesn't "do nothing" as you put it, and the thing they fixed was the unsigned code check, in 1.51/1.52 it checks it twice which is why you can't use the exploit method. However the % vulnerability is still there as is demonstrated by the fact that it crashes if you stick %n on the end.
Dan Jackson
FrostAie

lol

Post by FrostAie »

hey i had an idea and tested it this morning i did the standby thing and when it booted up to 1.5 fimware update screen i hit start and started pluging and unpluging the AC power and it seems its hack able if u just play with in enough
PS i was stupid and forgot to switch MS and thought i got the 1.5 to start installing lol i was so happy and when it was done i relized it boy i was mad and now i have a 1.52 psp!
jmf

Post by jmf »

oh my god.... thats really really a bad thing....
anyway, I'll try something today, but not now. I have to go to university for a while!
See ya later!
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

jmf wrote:oh my god.... thats really really a bad thing....
anyway, I'll try something today, but not now. I have to go to university for a while!
See ya later!
no see it wont try upgrading till it says whats going to be added and stuff so its not bad
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

I have 1.51 psp... i think we are going to hack it... people(hackers) are triying to hack it too... so is better we wait them to hack, or try to "hack" our selves?

SOrry For My English,,,

pinho2005
HaredX

Post by HaredX »

lol mvpo.geo i love how you comment on every topic and have NO idea what you are talking about. How are you saying that adding % to the end of a folder name does nothing? Sony didn't fix the exploit by dissallowing the naming of a folder with a % sign, they dissallowed the running of unsigned code, stop commenting on things you obviously know NOTHING about
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

HaredX wrote:lol mvpo.geo i love how you comment on every topic and have NO idea what you are talking about. How are you saying that adding % to the end of a folder name does nothing? Sony didn't fix the exploit by dissallowing the naming of a folder with a % sign, they dissallowed the running of unsigned code, stop commenting on things you obviously know NOTHING about
I agree...
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

so no news in running homebrews on 1.51 or downgrading it to 1.50??
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

They actually stopped unsigned code from running in the 1.50 update from 1.0. The new update stops the PSP from running a false PBP file (ie DATA.PSP renamed to EBOOT.PBP) since the homebrew running method of choice for 1.50 has a PBP file in each of the two folders. One starts the boot initiative and the other starts the program.

Since the PSP starts the EBOOT.PBP in the second folder and instantly executes it without looking for a key/signature or both, it runs.

From what I deduce, there is something wrong in the 1.50's processing of PBP files(a hole rather). Since the newer firmware can recognize a legitimate PBP file from a false one (as in the Kxploit or swaploit method).
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

hum... like, we can't change the SFO because if we change we get corrupt data... i assume this happens because tha data.psp checks the SFO, there is a connection between them... so my idea is someone who knows how to edit the data.psp, edit the data psp, so it can work with the new SFO... is just an idea... i don't know how to edit it,,,

SOrry for my English!
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

Hey guys ive bean playing with 1.52 and 1.5 the thing i found and i think i found a hole in the update thing, when it says start update i plugged the ac in and played with it by pluging it in and out and i got a result that the battery is low so i think if u do it at the right time it will skip the 3rd check and update i will be putting a video up off just showing the swap and getting the error for the people without MS or anything so be prepared that is all
mvpo.geo

Post by mvpo.geo »

How do you know this is an exploit? When you did this you had 1.52 update in....Im pretty sure that the update is gonna run fine when you have the 1.52 UPDATE in your PSP.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Hmm. I don't think so. When I used the update program to try and 'downgrade' it knew that the system version was higher than the source. This is after the update program had started.

Chances are, you will just get the error, "The PSP must be plugged into an AC Power source to Continue."(paraphrased).

But go ahead. Kudos to you if it works. But I just do not think it will.
pinhocarlos

Post by pinhocarlos »

mvpo.geo wrote:How do you know this is an exploit? When you did this you had 1.52 update in....Im pretty sure that the update is gonna run fine when you have the 1.52 UPDATE in your PSP.
EDIT: if we crate a folder in MS2 named UPDATE and put the 1.50 in it, and then create a folder called UPDATE1 and put the 1.52 in it... what will gona heppen??

is this what U are think???

sorry for my poor english!