OTG USB BRIDGE, just an idea

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

gmspitali

OTG USB BRIDGE, just an idea

Post by gmspitali »

Hey I just go an idea. What if I bought an OTG USB Bridge likened to this one http://www.usbmax.com/USBG-OTG1_USB-ON- ... vices_.cfm
and hooked my creative zen (or ipod) to one end of the box and my psp to the other end. Wouldnt that allow me to swap files between the two devices and give me an additional 5gb (or even 60Gb) of storage for my psp? I know the PSP wont directly read from the HDD MP3 player but it should allow me to swap files between memory stick and HDD Mp3 Player or? I know people have tested this already with 2.5' OTG USB HDD but I thought getting a bridge would be a cheaper, smaller and more convenient solution since the 2.5' HDD's are bulky and require an external power supply. What do you think?
PSP_killer

Post by PSP_killer »

sounds good but I don't want to carry my ipod and my psp every where. It would be great if it was wirless becasue I can't hold both at the same time. Mobility is the keyword here.
gmspitali

Post by gmspitali »

yes but look. All you will need the bridge for is to transfer files from the lets say the IPOD to the PSP. Lets say you are on the airplane or in the car and you just finished watching a movie on your PSP, you can erase the movie or tv show on your memory stick, whip out your OTG bridge and ipod and drag another movie file onto your PSP's memory stick from your portable MP3 HDD player. Furthermore, these bridges are quite small for example look here: http://www.coolpromotions.co.uk/otg_bridge.htm and you dont have to keep it connected all the time, only for the time you are transfering files between the two devices. What still confuses me though is how the PSP will recognize which files are to be transfered or if it will just think to copy everything to be found on the other device. I guess I will have to investigate that.
PSP_killer

Post by PSP_killer »

as I recall both the psp and the ipod ( or any other hd mp3 player) goes into something similar to a locked mode where you can't do anything. So that in mind how are you going to transfer the files?
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

i know ipod seperates the mass storage part from the music/itunes. But my iRiver is just one 20GB filesystem. if there's any mp3/wma/ogg files in there you can navigate to it and play them whereever.

And is USBOTG a HW spec, or a driver modification to normal USB?
I've herad from a sony guy* that the usb on the psp is a client device and they do things like the official keyboard by actually making it a server class device. So i presume they use their own protocol after connection. At least a reversed version of HID.

* The dude giving the bp05 psp seminar. He only glossed over this in the Q&A session at the end and this is how i understood it. So i could be talking outta me ass here. If anyone sees it and/or knows otheriwse, please let me know!
http://scene.org/dir.php?dir=%2Fparties ... Fseminars/
- cheriff
Damn, I need a decent signature!
gmspitali

Post by gmspitali »

I dont really understand what you mean by lock mode. For example when my Zen Micro connects to the PC it is detected as removable disk (with the Creative Zen Micro *PlaysForSure/MTP Firmware 2.00.12 installed, which enables the Zen to be detected without any additional drivers) so what should the problem be, clarify please? However look at this neat little product http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_d ... cbox2.html Since the PSP has no interface to select which files are to be copied on the memory stick using the USB bridge this product pretty much solves that problem. Furthermore, lets not only concentrate on IPODS and Zens, you can also connect USB sticks, digital cameras and what not and share files between your PSP and other device.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

By "locked' he means that if you plug an iPod into your pc, a new drive will pop up (lets say drive h:) But you will not be able to navigate via explorer thru the h: drive and see all the songs you've uploaded thru iTunes. Similarly. If you copy an mp3 to h: it'll be on the iPod as a file, but won't come up in any internal playlists.
At least thats how it works on my gf's iPod... and i think i've heard rumours of some hidden folder that undoes the above, but yeah.
As for the device you linked to it would easily copy from a camera(say) to the memstick, the same as if you had them both in a PC, it *should* work.

I misread your first post, thought you wanted to plug a hdd/zen/camera directly into the psp and copy like that. Apologies.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
gmspitali

Post by gmspitali »

hehe no probs. Well I dont own an ipod. I own a Zen Micro so I dont think I will be having that problem since the firmware installed on the Zen allows it to be detected in Windows as a removable without any additional drivers. Read this thread, it seems like someone came up with the same ideas: http://www.psp-vault.com/module-pnForum ... art-30.psp

Newbie pretty much said what I would like to do with the USB Bridge, read below:

"Ah, I believe I see the misunderstanding. Let me explain how I'd like to use my PSP. I definitely don't intend to stream data from my hdd to the PSP. For that, I'd need to lug both the hdd and the PSP with me in my pocket. That solution's way too big. Even an iPod and a PSP would take too much room for me. Heck, even a PSP is "almost" too big :)

Anyway, I'm going to use my Synbox solution mainly when I'm traveling with my PSP. It would give me these possibilities:
1) Copy all movies, pictures, mp3 which I want during my trip to my portable hdd. The store the hdd in my luggage.
2) Preload the PSP's 1Gb (or 512Mb) memory stick with enough movies, mp3s to last me a day or two.
3) When I've seen/heard all the PSP content, I connect it to the hdd and copy a new set of movies/mp3s (using the Syncbox).
4) Repeat step 3) until you've seen/heard your 20/40/80Gb worth of data or until your trip is over, whichever comes first :)

I don't need to permanently connect my hdd to my PSP. The PSP has enough internal memory to get me along for half a day up to a day or 2.

The solution would allow me to travel without my laptop, which would be a big weight/space saver for me. Also, it's a pretty cheap solution since the Syncbox 2 only costs 50 Euro and I have a portable hdd already.

If you want to stream data to your PSP, then I totally agree with what you say. You'd be SOL.

In a while, there'll be 2 or even 4Gb memory sticks, so then I won't even need to carry any hdd anymore to go on a one week trip. (I get about 3 movies on a 1Gb memory stick in viewable quality) "

BTW, the SyncBox II can be bought at www.pearl.de and since I live in Germany I think I might give it a go and keep you guys up to date.
gmspitali

Syncbox II

Post by gmspitali »

Got it today. Works great. Can only recommend it dudezzzz
PSP_killer

Post by PSP_killer »

gmspitali: can you plz post shots of how you got it to works and how you use it?

thank you
gmspitali

Post by gmspitali »

ok will do next week since I have exams now. Ill write a little tutorial too although its really straight forward
Dino85

[b]ipod as portable hard-drive for the PSP [/b]

Post by Dino85 »

ipod as portable hard-drive

I think it maybe possible to connect an ipod as a portable hard-drive if you take a psp usb cable (HipGear PSP 8 Ft. USB Cable) cut of the USB end, which goes in to the computer and take an ipod cable (Cicero iPod USB 2.0 Data Cable) and also cut of the USB end witch goes into the computernd one more thing you would have to put the two ends together that you cut off

And as you format you memory stick (root directory) for the psp you would have to make the same files in the ipod

As you open our ipod folder add file

1. PSP--> GAME, MUSIC, PHOTO, SAVEDATA

2. MP_ROOT--> 100MNV01-->

i think this is really possible

What are our thoughts on this any one?

if anyone has any info to add please do so

I will try this as soon as I receive my psp
*Dino*
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

Have i seen this somewhere before?
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Offtopic: dino, could you please remove or, at least, shrink down your avatar picture ? Thanks...
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Dino85

Post by Dino85 »

pixel wrote:Offtopic: dino, could you please remove or, at least, shrink down your avatar picture ? Thanks...
How is this of offtopic
*Dino*
pixel

Post by pixel »

I think asking for somebody to change his avatar in the middle of a thread is kinda offtopic imho...
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
ichan

Post by ichan »

of course it is... it has nothing to do with the subject of the topic.
numchuckskills

Post by numchuckskills »

The Transcend Photobank seems like a better option than carrying around your iPod as an HDD. When you would be copying from the iPod in USB mode through the OTG bridge the PSP is inoperable... boring. With the Photobank you could stick the MSduo in set it aside and let it do it's thing while playing NFS Rivals (great game =)...)

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/prod ... m=4&exid=2
Not with a bang, but a whisper.
This is the way the world ends.
gmspitali

Post by gmspitali »

$208...wait wait UNTAXED ok that makes this a better choice than paying an extra $50 to buy an OTG bridge and use your existing hardware. What you think? Boring? I dont get it, will 3 minutes playing time make a difference while you copy new files? My intentions was that you use this bridge to copy new files to your MS duo after youve watched or listened to everything on your card. Not while playing NFSU or whatever. What are you talking about?
numchuckskills

Post by numchuckskills »

Touche... This just seemed like a nice solution for me since my existing portable hardware was a PSP, and that's it, no iPod... I like the Photobank as my permanant music player that can also rewrite memory sticks for my media needs on my PSP... Like an iPod that rewrites MSduos, that's all... *shrugs*
PSP_killer

Post by PSP_killer »

can some one plz post pics with a step by step I couldn't do it with my iriver.
gmspitali

Post by gmspitali »

guys. Just wait up I will make loads of photos this weekend using the SyncboxII and the Zen with the PSP. Ok?

2 Numchukskills:

Photobank doesnt play music. Really doesnt do much other than store information.
numchuckskills

Post by numchuckskills »

Woops... linked to the wrong thing last time... Here you go... Now thats what my solution for extra memory is... An iPod-ish device that writes to Memory Stick Duo...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 39623&rd=1