Psp running syslinux

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

sq377

Psp running syslinux

Post by sq377 »

Off of PSP-linux.org
I did i did i did it. I got a command line running just a basic shell though. ok all you need is syslinux and something like lsp (linux station portable) or some other distro that works then you do this (copied fro dc949)

Now for the new news...

Long story short, the PSP has the ability to use its memory card as its own personal hard drive. As such, can be used to update the firmware. So, I went to Sony's Japanese site and found out how to do it, hoping to find some loophole in the install mechanism allowing me to insert "LSP" (linux station portable). In short, it didn't work but I did manage to find the software update that was released for the Japanese PSP V1.0. Add a hex editor, some caffiene, some more caffiene, and a sleep-deprived technophobe and I was able to exchange some things...

505350E284A2205570646174652076657220312E3530
PSP... Update ver 1.50

the listed title of the file is now...

Vyrus001 H4X0R!!!

and i was able to change the icon for the update
(an encoded png file format hidden in the hex)

then i tried changeing the version and it didnt like that

so what i have gatherd so far is that the update is the whole bin file that we are trying to hack... so if we hack that then we hack the psp... we just have to decompile the EBOOT.PBP file (update image) from

header...
display name...
png image...
psp updater...
there os code....

to

header...
MY display name...
My png image...
psp updater...
MY os code....

the file is 13 mgs and can be found here.....

http://dj01.psp.update.playstation.org/ ... /EBOOT.PBP

the call is out... HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

just basically send a fake packet or put in */psp/whatever it said on that site (i can't think right to much caffine)
PSP/GAMES/UPDATE
sorry i really need sleep
then you take the syslinux file called oh crap um.... the one like when you install slax on oh i need sleep. anyway you copy that then you run in the command line and run (windows) syslinux for the memory stick duo then just move all the files except for idlinux or whatever to */psp/games/update/syslinux then make a copy of idlinux and move it back to that other place... then what did i do oh ya then i booted a linux distro from a cd onto my comp then i ran the move to usb key thing but did a duo stick instead then i deleted its idlinux that file and replaced it with the oh god i am tired i will post much better tommarow i am sorry idlinux file from syslinux then i turned off my comp and psp then i turned the psp back on and it booted from the memory stick and then it brought up alot of weird charecters (obviously doesn't have acii support) so scince i already knew the startup procedure i just waited and then it came up with the figlet saying LSP... etc.
you can't type or anythign but at least it runs at all and it doesn't really run beacause i can't fix my psp after i did it no matter what i do it won't boot so i am pissed (try this at your own risk) ok well i am going to sleep now i will document the whole thing tommarow

so sorry if you don't get it i will post in full tommarow
He never did post an update.

http://www.psp-linux.org/forums/index.p ... post&p=824
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

So he hexed the update file a little and came up with the obviously unique and novel idea to put his own code in instead of Sony's?

Wow. Brilliant. I applaud him.

Wait, no... he did nothing new and seems to be about 4 months behind.

OH GOD HE IS SO TIRED!!

That psp-linux site is nothing more than a way to drain donation money out of stupid people. Admitting you go there and actually believe crap like this that's posted proves one thing... you definately belong there.

Post by Guest »

I vote this thread remain *unlocked* for humor value. :)
sq377

Post by sq377 »

That psp-linux site is nothing more than a way to drain donation money out of stupid people. Admitting you go there and actually believe crap like this that's posted proves one thing... you definately belong there.
no need to be harsh, I hate the majority of the forums and people, but there are a few poor souls who know what they are doing. The Psp-Stumbler project (project to make a wireless WEP cracker) posts their finds every once and a while. I look at both this and that forum to see if anything has been done.

I do not believe this person has done anything of significance, and I know people have already tried their own code.

Anyone that does donate to this project is better off donating here. The admin there hasn't even finished picking developers.
pdc

Post by pdc »

If it isn't a SNES emulator, it's commandline access or toaster integration!

sq377 - the mods are just angry because their tidy, knowledgable forums has recently turned into a pool of noob questions, rumours and lies :)
sq377

Post by sq377 »

HA
You think it's bad here? check out psplinux's site. I have seen about 4 people come and ask the question of how to install linux on their psp.

for example
Just one simples question because im an idiot that doesnt know anything about... anything. How do i get Linux onto my PSP?
Step by Step would be very very helpful
http://www.psp-linux.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=139

My problem with that site is nothing is deleted when it needs to be.

My problem with this site is that everything is deleted when it shouldn't.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

I am sad about the this forum losing cohesion. There need to be some topics that are general (info about specific files like .psp, .psar, .sfo, etc...) instead of half of the info being in two differant threads.
w00t
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

sq377:

I think I deleted one message last year sometime, I really don't do it very often at all. I much prefer to lock offending threads. It leaves an example of what's off-limits, and it is easier to unlock a thread than undelete it if an error in judgement was made.

My problem with your post in particular is that you seemed to be trying to break the news that someone over on those forums manged to get a linux command prompt by hacking up a PBP file. While eventually possible, it is unlikely to happen so soon and by merely dumping 'syslinux' into a modified PBP file. There's no magic MIPS version of linux you'll be able to just drop in and run... there will be some porting effort required. This post is obviously a troll of some sort and it appears you've fallen for it.

So, you can understand the response, no...?

Unless of course you were just trying to share the humor. I should have just moved it into off-topic in that case.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

ChaosKnight:

There are already threads for poking around with the PBP, PSP and PSAR files. Feel free to combine the known information into a summary thread if you like and I'll make it a sticky.

Maybe that'll catch a few people up and inspire more development effort.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

I've made a PBP thread already, dunno if you think it's worthy of making sticky or not though. I'll try to make one about the PSP file. Also I think there may be a very old one about PSAR, however I don't personally know much about it, sadly.
w00t
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I should probably sticky up the important ones anyway.