PSP Hidden Menu?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mynineridesshotgun

PSP Hidden Menu?

Post by mynineridesshotgun »

Hey,
Most high end electronic devices have some sort of hidden menu that lets customer service change settings that are not normally avablible, for example when you turn your 4G ipod on and hold down the menu button it jumps to a "debug" like menu that lets you change settings and proform system tests.
I sat down with the PSP, entered like every button combo i could think of at the about PSP screen and menu item, it seems like thats a popular choice for hidden menus, any ideas or input?

[email protected]
boomint

Post by boomint »

You and just about every other PSP owner has tried the 'hold it all down on powerup' combo exercise.

Guess it aint so simple :)
--( someone stole my sig! )--
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I spent a few days doing the button combo exercise after the bad flash.
VictorAdept

Post by VictorAdept »

To bad devising a computer-controlled means of brute forcing it (if it does in fact exist) would be tedious and destroy its portability.
Information is power.
gochillax

Post by gochillax »

I also have spent a few hours trying to crack this shizzle.

Hopefully someone comes up with something...
Deathbringer

Post by Deathbringer »

Maybe they whould hook it up to a computer using a USB cable running some software where they could acces the whole PSP content.
Proberly how they whould do it.
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

or try to go to some kind of menu, and push left, left, right, right, X, X, O, O

just like cheats in playstation games
Smiths

Post by Smiths »

UUDDLRLBA!

Honestly there most likely is some sort of dev menu, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being found easily.

Though just be patient, I seriously am 99.9% sure this is just a matter of "when", not "if" for all non 1.0 owners.

PSPDev has really only existed for about 3 weeks now honestly (??), it's only the beginning.

Post by Guest »

Actually these forums have existed since December. :) But true ability to run code has only existed for a few weeks, as you say. :)
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

the secret is the psp user name.
ive change it to various names. (dev,develop,debug,dbg,root,admin,wtf) :-)
Jinnai

Post by Jinnai »

I doubt it's the USB connection, hooked up a 5 channel oscilloscope to the usb port and booted the 1.50 PSP, no activity whatsoever. This whole dev menu starts to get in on the exploit research topic, but a thread in there talked about them using the serial port to do things to the psp before the onboard system had a chance to take over. That makes a lot more sense to me, it's a helluva lot easier to work a serial connection than a USB. Connecting the o-scope to the serial lines and booting did show some responses, but I can't duplicate them every time so it may just be leakage from powering up. Or it could be the start of an auth signal that a debug device would recognize and be able to respond to. Requires more research and I'm out of town for a few weeks, but I'm willing to bet that's how you access dev/debug/whatever for the PSP, not simply button combos.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Pit0711 wrote:the secret is the psp user name.
ive change it to various names. (dev,develop,debug,dbg,root,admin,wtf) :-)
If that's the secret then by all means, what have you found? Just telling us that its the secret behind the puzzle and that you tried it but then do not tell us what your results were doesn't really help anyone here.

And to be honest I would think it would be an external device connected to the PSP to use for debug. An external device could provide easier means for debugging and have diagnostic tools built in.

I certainly doubt the PSP has room reserved in memory to hold various diagnostic tools for debug and repair.
SB3325

There Is A Hidden menu

Post by SB3325 »

Ok...Listen Closely...Its a secret so shhhhh....
LMAO...j/p but heres how it works...

1)Start Playing A Game (dont Know if it works with a Movie UMD...Havent tried it yet)...

2)Press the home button so the "Are You Sure You Want To Quit This Game" Screen comes up...

3) select "Yes" and rapidly Hit the (X) button untill you get the home screen

4)You should now Be in the home menu, under the game catigory, in a new menu by the umd...

It's Just a Copy of the Video settings menu under the settings catigory but it leaves a lot out in the open...what other hidden menu's could there be?

I'm sure its nothing big like a Web Browser, but just little hidden cookies like this sure can open up alot of doors...
[::[ ]::] FIGHT OF THE CENTURY (+[ ]::)
[::[ ]+] ....Not A fair Fight...
PSP_killer

Post by PSP_killer »

I tried that on the japenese version and got the same result, a copy of the video setting. I Hope that means there is another hidden menu somewhere that let us reset the firmware .

Post by Guest »

PSP_killer wrote:I tried that on the japenese version and got the same result, a copy of the video setting. I Hope that means there is another hidden menu somewhere that let us reset the firmware .
There is no way to reset the firmware without a copy of the older firmware. There is no copy of the old firmware maintained on the unit, it must be provided externally.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

to SB3325

it also works on the US 1.5
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
SB3325

Post by SB3325 »

Thanhda wrote:to SB3325

it also works on the US 1.5
I KNOW THAT I HAVE us 1.51, us 1.5, jp 1.0

so...yeah...

Refrence...: 'J/p' means 'Just Playing'....JP means Japanese
[::[ ]::] FIGHT OF THE CENTURY (+[ ]::)
[::[ ]+] ....Not A fair Fight...
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Hmm... This is rather interesting. It worked on mine, but whats the deal with it? I wonder if this is just a mere glitch or if there is a reason behind it? If there was a reason for it, I would assume the developers would have made its method of access a little more "professional" ie pressing X 5 times, rather than hit X until your thumb falls off.

Something tells me it is a glitch, but I could be wrong.
Skye

Post by Skye »

That is one hell of a glitch even if its accidental, I wonder what else could be going on that could be glitched like that.

Back to hitting button combos for 3000 years lol.

EDIT
Hmm what is this, I noticed that if you have a game on your psp, and you go to game--->memory card--->triangle---->information,

Why exactly is the parental control set at 1?
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

I figured out the parental control is the rating that the game is inherently given, most definately based on ESRB ratings. If the PSP has a parental control that disallows a game with a certain parental level it wont play the game.

EDIT:

A box with a lock on it comes up saying Restricted Content with UMD underneath. I used Wipeout for the test, which has a parental crontrol level of 3, and put the PSP's accepted parental control level to 1. It wont allow me to play the game unless I put in the Parental Controll Password.