Calling SDK functions from within uCLinux

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Gary13579

Calling SDK functions from within uCLinux

Post by Gary13579 »

Long time no post :).

Rambling around in my room, found the old PSP, and was curious what happened in the scene. From what I can tell, nothing.

Anyway, I successfully setup a cross compiler, and got applications running on Linux on the PSP (albeit no C++... sad :( ).

My question is, how can I link the PSPSDK libraries against programs compiled to run in Linux? I am using mipsel-linux-gcc, not the standard psp-gcc. What is the difference? Is psp-gcc just a frontend for the former, which does some extra, or...?
Jim

Post by Jim »

My question is, how can I link the PSPSDK libraries against programs compiled to run in Linux?
In general, you can't. Most Linux source code/programs are not immediately suitable for compilation/execution on PSP.
Usually there's at least a little bit, and often quite a lot of work needs to be done.

Jim
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Jim wrote:
My question is, how can I link the PSPSDK libraries against programs compiled to run in Linux?
In general, you can't. Most Linux source code/programs are not immediately suitable for compilation/execution on PSP.
Usually there's at least a little bit, and often quite a lot of work needs to be done.

Jim
I'm not talking about porting an application written on my PC to the PSP... I've got uCLinux running on my PSP, and have already written a simple hello world for it.

Is it really impossible/at least very hard to call PSP functions from within uCLinux? I'd have assumed it would be relatively easy, since the PSP's firmware should still be loaded, underneath uCLinux.

Edit: aha, the OSK must somehow be pulling joypad data, which would come from sce* functions? Looking into that now...
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

Gary13579 wrote:Is it really impossible/at least very hard to call PSP functions from within uCLinux? I'd have assumed it would be relatively easy, since the PSP's firmware should still be loaded, underneath uCLinux.
I'm afraid that as soon as uCLinux starts up, it wipes the firmware out of memory entirely and runs by itself. It just relies on the PSPSDK/firmware to initialise a few things first.

As such there is no way of calling the functions.
:)
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

cloudhunter wrote:
Gary13579 wrote:Is it really impossible/at least very hard to call PSP functions from within uCLinux? I'd have assumed it would be relatively easy, since the PSP's firmware should still be loaded, underneath uCLinux.
I'm afraid that as soon as uCLinux starts up, it wipes the firmware out of memory entirely and runs by itself. It just relies on the PSPSDK/firmware to initialise a few things first.

As such there is no way of calling the functions.
Well, from what I can see, the kernel creates a wrapper from the IPL input commands to a /dev/input. Is there a list of the IPL functions anywhere? Poked around in the SDK and couldn't find any.