sounds

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Alberto

sounds

Post by Alberto »

Hi all,

and Merry XMas to who is celebrating it.

Then, I got a simple question: is there a way to simply replroduce the "click" sound the PSP does when you press a button?
I mean, don; t wanna go through inventing an audio stream... just if there is a syscall, such as sceAudioButtonSound() or similar... ;-)

And... is there a way to know the sound status; to know if it's bee muted pressing the note button for few seconds...

Thank you all.
Cheers, A.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Bump!

;-)

seriously... either I posted something really obvious (but I can't figure it out, anyway) or it really looks like noone else ever asked something like this before, and not even the biggest gurus here can't help...

Is there anybody out there...?

Cheers, and now it's alredy time for HNY!
A.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'd rather declare it as case 1. If you look through the (mostly complete) pspsdk docs, you won't find any function like that. That's because they don't exist.
When the PSP plays the click sounds (or any other sounds for that matter), then it's a sound file (a .wav most of the time) being played back through the common audio interface. Actually, I don't know it for 100% sure, because I never checked that the PSP firmware is doing it this way, but I'll eat one's hat if it isn't.
It just makes no sense to create a hardcoded function for each individual sound.

If you want to play that exact same sound, search a flash dump for the sound file, then play that.
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl
Art

Post by Art »

They are .vag files, and need to be converted to .wav
I don't know if the sound data is essentialy the same or not,
but there were Windows converters used by people who make the custom themes, etc.
I don't think the sounds were ever accessed directly on the PSP though.

Although I wrote a program that swapped sounds on the XMB (X-Flash),
I can't for the life of me remember whether they were embedded into another file or not, but suspect they are.
Art.
If not actually, then potentially.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

I see...

actually, I indeed searched through the sdk and the examples, and found nothing, but since I'm pretty new to the PSP I thought I may have missed some hits.
Anyway, as you (Raphael) say that they are sound files, played on the occasion by the XMB, I was actually looking for that "play" function.
Nevermind, I'll have a look at the examples and try to set up a play function.

Thanks for the info, and happy new year.
A.