Paperless printer woes

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

manasol

Paperless printer woes

Post by manasol »

I am having a problem getting the paperless printer to show me this section.
I choose Paperless Printer then properties not preferences. I don't know where it is. I don't get the first screen either just a different type of window. I get a different one telling me to choose a paper and either transperancy or plain paper. Nothing about custom.
I get LAYOUT PAPER/QUALITY
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

To get this screen, you need to go to Page Setup, not printing properties.

P.S. Don't want to sound like a pusher, but have you tried my ebook creator? :) Updated version is at the end of the thread.
What does this button do?
manasol

Post by manasol »

I don't thinkit's Page Setup either. As it gives me FORMAT & OPTIONS
MARGINS & HEADERS/FOOTER
Nothing remotely looking like that screen. Yet I do appreciate the help.
I really like that paperless printer prints jpegs out of a whole webpage.

I haven't tried your program, so I will now but I hope someone may shed some light on my difficulty with paperless printing.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

The thing is... This screen is not generic, it is different for each program. I take it you are trying to print from a web-browser. If you open word and go the page setup, you'll see a screen that resembles the one you posted.
manasol

Post by manasol »

Very Nice Program AlexGreen. I like how it makes all the text sized correctly.
Now could you add image support for another type of text file. LOL I am just kidding. Great program adn hope you stay on top of it.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

I'm going to see if i can add html support next.
manasol

Post by manasol »

That was and even better idea then I had. I hope you get that working and thank you again. I hope your program because a year from now a must have program.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

My hope is that a year from now we'll have development on the PSP so we can read text files directly :D
manasol

Post by manasol »

You know there is something that just confounds me. The organization of any jpg on the psp. For example I convert a txt with your program then upload it to my PSP. Once there I hve Image 01,02,10,11,12.
Seems every thing I do I can't regulate that. LOL

Have you figured that out yet?

PS. What a great program. Also with jpeg compression from the new StuffIT the files on this puppy will be so small.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

PSP doesn't care about filenames. It only cares about dates of creation. Could it be that when you copy the files you some how mess up the time of creation?
For example, if inside the folder you have files organized by name rather than by date and you copy stuff over, windows will copy them in order of naming and the files will get creation time in order of sorting windows sorted them, so you'd get this funky distribtuion of 1,10,11,12..19,2,20...
Hope that helps.

Also, can you elaborate on that StuffIT jpg compression?
Awhite

Post by Awhite »

If you want to view the files in correct order, just save the jpgs here:

DCIM\101MSDCF\

and name each file

DSC00001.JPG
DSC00002.JPG

I used photoshop to batch convert and name correctly.
I saved a nice Comic book that way.
Ioannis KarAvas
manasol

Post by manasol »

Sorry about the late reply Alex this is straight from the site:

Compress JPEG Photos and Images by up to 30%! With its revolutionary new photo compression technology, StuffIt archives what no other compression product has been able to do – reduce the size of JPEG photos and images up to 30% with absolutely no loss in image quality! Where existing archive technologies such as zip are unable to further compress JPEG photos, StuffIt’s patent-pending technology enables users to fit more data onto CDs, DVDs, and other storage and backup media. This provides significant bandwidth saving for professionals, businesses, and hobbyists looking to share images over the Internet or on the network!

O yes and thank you for the creation explanation your right I highlight them and then drag them over which I shouldn't have been doing. - I just bought my first C programming book in hopes of eventually creating some useful programs for the PSP.

---HTML support for your program will that be something very hard to do? I would assume you want it to grab images and also grab the text to format to one page.
Ex:
---------------------
IMAGE HERE
|
|
---------------------
Then text here that wraps around.
manasol

Post by manasol »

I edited my post above with a question. I am sorry to bother you with such qeustions that only inform me and not help you. :) Yet I thank you very much for your program as it makes reading so much easier for me on my PSP (I dislike reading on PC, which is why I bought the C book). Thank you again and bet of luck.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

The problem with moving to html from simple text file is that you have to parse the tags to get formatting right. Plus the pictures probably have to be resized to fit each page. I have not done much C# programming, but I bet there are assemblies out there that would do just that, I'd just have to find them.
mauibay

Post by mauibay »

Nice little program. I was previously using OpenOffice to output a PDF and then ImageMagick to generate the jpegs. But, I have yet to find a practical way to easily get the jpegs loaded onto the PSP in correct order. I know the sorting is by date, but I haven't found a way to force windows to copy them in that order. By the way, is it by creation date or modification date?

What's more, the creation dates as they are created by your program are not in order. For example, I did a text file that your program created 939 jpegs for. Without copying, moving, opening or changing those files at all, if I look at the folder in Explorer and click the column header to sort by creation date, the files are not sorted in numeric order. It's _close_ to being correct, but I get groupings of files out of order. On this particular book, it skips from 7 to 10, and files 8 & 9 follow file 62, followed by files 100 through 121, then file 63 through 99. You get the idea, the sorting is full of groups of ordered files, but in out-of-order chunks.

So even if I do get a reliable way of moving the files to the PSP, the original timestamps are not in order in the first place. Maybe this is caused by the files being created so quickly? Do multiple files perhaps share creations dates due to poor timestamp resolution?

I've tried this several times in various ways. If I could just get the files in the correct order, this would actually be useful. :) Any suggestions?
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

I wrote a script in python and hardwired it to copy images onto memory stick of psp pausing for 2 seconds after every file. This way the files are definitely outputted in right order. Of course, it means that it takes forever to output the book (~10 minutes for 300 jpegs).
The problem is that windows is probably copying multiple files at once and/or using some sort of caching. So if some files are smaller, than they might get transferred earlier and mess things up.
manasol

Post by manasol »

You can name your pictures DSC00001.JPG and up. Place them in the location a few posts up. (Thank you for posting this for us) This places the files in the Digital camera folder on the PSP.

Lately with a vast amount of images I named DSC00001.JPG +, will go unto the PSP organized. I place the Images in seperate folders as to not physically touch the images, just transfer the folder. I hope this helps.

Also I noticed If I use Details sorting in windows my photos stay in order. _Don't count on this method because I tried it with DSC naming only not regular image names.

I use the free batch conversion software from www.joejoesoft.com: RenameMaster - I actually think this gives the files new dates. I transferred a 3000+ pages of a book (noticed the digital camera folder only held around 1000) and they all stayed in order. In the camera folder and my created folders.
mauibay

Post by mauibay »

It's possible to use system calls to directly get and set file creation/modification/access times. Perhaps your utility could iterate through all the files after they are created and touch them with sequential timestamps? That's a pretty crude method though.

Perhaps what we need is a generic script that would walk all the files in a mounted USB directory, sort them by name and then touch them in order.

Why oh why would Sony sort files by date and not name. This is so ridiculous.