Running homebrew on the PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

methos3

Running homebrew on the PSP

Post by methos3 »

Hello!
i've just got a psp-30001, and wanted to know if the methods available for running homebrew won't modify my firmware. (I've installed the latest version, 6.20 from Sony already)
It's just because I like to have the latest Sony version installed, and don't want to install a custom firmware or to modify the original firmware.
I waw something about eLoader and HEN.
Sorry for posting whihout even searching on the ps2dev.org or the forums, it's because my computer isn't working, and I'm using a my friend's computer right now.
jgrimm

Post by jgrimm »

im not positive on this because i dont have a psp but i think the firmware has to be custom for it to work
a_noob

Post by a_noob »

Unless you specifically install a custom firmware, it should not modify what is currently present. Now being able to actually run code is a different story, I have not paid much attention to what models and fw's have loaders and what not, recently since I still have a original psp. So assuming you can run a strain of HEN or an eLoader, your firmware should not be touched

Code: Select all

.øOº'ºOø.
'ºOo.oOº'
jojojoris

Re: Running homebrew on the PSP

Post by jojojoris »

methos3 wrote:(I've installed the latest version, 6.20 from Sony already)
So you screwed yourself. There is no way to run Home-brew on your psp and with always having the latest Sony firmware you will never be able to run home-brew. Everytime a exploit is found a new update from sony will close the exploit.

You should know since you already got 71 posts.

Code: Select all

int main(){
     SetupCallbacks();
     makeNiceGame();
     sceKernelExitGame();
}
Draan

Post by Draan »

Loaders from exploit in games - doesn't touch firmware.
HENs - here is diffrent story. ChickHEN doesn't touch the firmware, but earlier DaX's HEN's does.

You can't have homebrews & latest Sony firmware.

Reason is easy: when hackers find and use a hole in firmware, Sony patches it in next update and it's not working any more.

Well, despertar del cementerio is a solution. With this you can have 5.00m33 on memory stick and orginal FW on NAND. But:

-you can't run Pandora on 3k
-OFW isn't working with TM's IPL loader, so you must have 2 batteries
methos3

Post by methos3 »

Yes, almost just as I expected...
jojojoris wrote:
methos3 wrote:(I've installed the latest version, 6.20 from Sony already)
So you screwed yourself. There is no way to run Home-brew on your psp and with always having the latest Sony firmware you will never be able to run home-brew. Everytime a exploit is found a new update from sony will close the exploit.
You should know since you already got 71 posts.
Yes, 70 posts on the ps2 session and 1 on the psp session (now 72 ^^).
I was thinking on something likpspde ps2's "magic exploit" (I don't remember hoe it is exactly called :/ ). A disk that the ps2 recognizes as a game, and it has an elf launcher.
Draan wrote:Well, despertar del cementerio is a solution. With this you can have 5.00m33 on memory stick and orginal FW on NAND. But:

-you can't run Pandora on 3k
-OFW isn't working with TM's IPL loader, so you must have 2 batteries
Ok... I really need to read a pspdev tutorial :(
Anyway, if i'm not bothering:
My home computer's motherboard was magically working again!! I didn't know what was this IPL, and searched on the internet, and:
*IPL loader is to load up a firmware on the PSP, right?
*OFW is a firmware capable of loading homebrews, but some ppl are talking that it won't work with the IPL Loader on the 3k systems. I really need to get some time to search more about it. And does the battery have anything to do with the FW?

Well, if I find that it isn't possible, I'll just give up porting my apps to the psp.

Hey, thanks for the help until now!
m0skit0

Post by m0skit0 »

methos3 wrote:A disk that the ps2 recognizes as a game, and it has an elf launcher.
And how would you write an UMD for PSP?

1) OFW doesn't run homebrew. Sony only allows licensed software to run on their consoles.
2) You can't use homebrew on OFW 6.20 until somebody makes a HEN for it (which implies finding a user & kernel exploit).
3) In case a HEN is released for any firmware, bear in mind that Sony will hurry to patch it and release a new firmware, or do anything to make it stop working, or at least hamper users taking advantage from it (deny access to store, remove exploited games or features, etc...).

So you cant have both things. Life is a matter of choice.
The Incredible Bill Gates wrote:The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers.
Draan

Post by Draan »

First of all, keep in mind that the PS2 firmware isn't updated. So every exploit is "permanent". And for PS2 you can burn a disc, for PSP you can't.
methos3 wrote: *IPL loader is to load up a firmware on the PSP, right?
Well, yes. But there's a diffrence. Time Machine IPL is loading another (!!!) IPL, which is finally loading the firmware. But there's a hook: IPL must be in special, made by Dark-Alex, format. OFW IPL isn't in it.

PreIPL -> can load TM IPL -> can load CUSTOM IPL
PreIPL -> can load CUSTOM IPL(directly)
PreIPL -> can load OFW IPL
PreIPL -> can load TM IPL -> can't load OFW IPL
methos3 wrote: *OFW is a firmware capable of loading homebrews, but some ppl are talking that it won't work with the IPL Loader on the 3k systems.
Well, homebrew is using Sony's kernel and whole system of course. But as m0skit0 wrote, Sony only allows licensed software to run on their consoles. So firmware must be hacked to run not licensed software.
methos3 wrote: And does the battery have anything to do with the FW?
Not firmware itself. Sony leaved us the "service mode" so when our PSP's software is broken, they can repair it. It is simple: PreIPL checks the battery serial. If it's 0xFFFFFFFFF, console is booting from IPL from (!!!) Memory Stick. After this discovery, hackers found a hole in PreIPL, so we can run IPL not from Sony. We must only write our own repairing software and BOOM! We have our own "service mode" kit! (Sony have of course their own kit).

They changed something in new 2k and all 3k PSP, so battery with 0xFFFFFFFF serial doesn't work (not even as normal battery! PSP is not booting on that battery!). And they probably fix the bug which allow us to run our own IPL.

Hackers must now dump the PreIPL, see how to boot from Memory Stick again, and find a new hole to run unoffical IPL again. Then new PSPs will be fully hacked.
methos3

Post by methos3 »

m0skit0 wrote:And how would you write an UMD for PSP?
No, I remembered, the PS2 disk is called Swap Magic. We don't burn it, we buy it, and it makes the PS2 identify it as an original disk.
But if the same could be done to the PSP, it should already exist :(
m0skit0 wrote:So you cant have both things. Life is a matter of choice.
Heh, nice.

Well, I will use the latest Sony version on my psp and someday I'll buy another PSP to use and develop homebrews.

And Draan, thanks! You explained it very well. I don't want to run homebrews here and now, so... I'll buy a psp-1000 and one of those batteries (I won't do it so soon, of course)

Thanks and cya!
Draan

Post by Draan »

methos3 wrote: No, I remembered, the PS2 disk is called Swap Magic. We don't burn it, we buy it, and it makes the PS2 identify it as an original disk.
Well, SwapMagic is just a fragment of orginal disc glued with rest of normal DVD, doesn't it? It can't be done to PSP, because we dont' have empty discs and recorders.
methos3

Post by methos3 »

Draan wrote:
methos3 wrote: No, I remembered, the PS2 disk is called Swap Magic. We don't burn it, we buy it, and it makes the PS2 identify it as an original disk.
Well, SwapMagic is just a fragment of orginal disc glued with rest of normal DVD, doesn't it? It can't be done to PSP, because we dont' have empty discs and recorders.
Oh, is it? I didn't know Swap Magic had fragments of an original disk.

ps.:
I forgot to tell the last post. The ps2 has some flasheable parts. Sony left a way to update the PS2 OS but never released a major update (only that one that comes with Final Fantasy XI, I guess...). But I think its only the OS, and not the firmware that can be changed.