Wierd Split Purple Screen

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

yeshua

Wierd Split Purple Screen

Post by yeshua »

I'm helping Willow on a project and we've come across a strange error. I've tracked the bug down on a smaller project. http://code.google.com/p/purplescreendebug/ By the way it uses JGE Sometimes itll display a split screen tinted purple (its hard to tell in the pic below but trust me its purple). http://wololo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... rt=0#p7867.

I can't for the life of me track this issue down. WE KNOW ITS JGE. The only question is where?
Art

Post by Art »

Why would you conclude it's JGE?
I've had the same issue with GU with my program Road Dog,
which was based on McZonk's GU font sample, and the SDK wifi sample.

I've also had this problem with Easy Accellerated Image Library (the one that does image rotation) With a little demo of mine called Multimesh.

I'm sure I've seen it on other occasions with graphics.c from LUAplayer.

On every occasion, there were four small screens like picture in picture, and whatever was supposed to be white was purple/green.
Art.
If not actually, then potentially.
yeshua

Post by yeshua »

We don't use the GU directly for one and two thats a hello world sample that comes with JGE in that svn.

I just assumed a sample couldn't be wrong. How did you fix your error?
Art

Post by Art »

By starting again from the last properly working backup source code.

Maybe the JGE code isn't causing trouble, maybe the JGE engine has the problem.
But the problem def isn't only occuring with JGE programs.
I've seen the same complaint on this forum from someone else before too.
yeshua

Post by yeshua »

I'm sure its not limited to JGE but JGE could be doing something wrong is all I'm saying... According to willow we've had this error since august of 08 and he said this earlier
One issue is that the PSPSDK has slightly changed since that time (2007/2008), and some tweaks are necessary to make Wagic 0.0.2 compile.
as well as this
Note that I seem to remember that other users of JGE were having the issue with the "original" JGE, so it could be a bug existing in JGE before we started changing it.

Unfortunately the forum for JGE is long dead so I can't find these posts back.

Edit: look at this cached info:
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:sx ... clnk&gl=us

at the bottom of the page, there's a topic called: Split screen bug after port over to PSP
which is the same issue we have...
Art

Post by Art »

Maybe the other thread I've seen was from another JGE user.
Sorry I can't help then.
Good luck.
yeshua

Post by yeshua »

I'm sure its not limited to JGE. It probably has to do with changes in the pspsdk. How exactly did you fix road dog?
Art

Post by Art »

Like I said, I started from the last source code backup that didn't have the problem
(rather than actually solve it) then started again from there.
I do remember that, at the time, I wasn't doing anything related to graphics/screen drawing to cause the problem, so I was stumped at the time too.
yeshua

Post by yeshua »

did you use a sony dialog (like netconf)? If so thats why you got the error. It sets the screen in DXT mode.
Gefa

Post by Gefa »

If it can be useful, sometimes I have the same problem (don't know why, it doesn't seem to have a logic) by programming in python with OSLib mod (ported by sakya). I never understood the reason
For my PSP project, visit my web site: www.gefa.altervista.org

PaintMIXER v2.6.0 released: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php ... 253.0.html