How to add a menu or icon in XMB(Not VSH Menu)?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Lechter

How to add a menu or icon in XMB(Not VSH Menu)?

Post by Lechter »

Just like Game Categories plugin.I don't know which API can be used to implemented it.

sorry for my poor english:)
Zer01ne

Post by Zer01ne »

Look at RCO file format, sorry Bubbletune dont speak with it.
Davee

Post by Davee »

The whole proceedure is incredibly complex and involves a deep understanding of the whole XMB with icon caching, shadows, registry etc etc.

Honestly, I don't know exactly how it works from any code I've seen and to use the code you need to actually know how the whole system works. The result in Game Categories is the hundreds of hours of research into the XMB design and thousands of lines of RE code.
Lechter

Post by Lechter »

Thanks Zer01ne and Davee,let me try to disassemble it:)
Lechter

Post by Lechter »

oh no,When I use prxtool to analyze game_categories.prx,it show me"Error:Magic value incorrect".
jojojoris

Post by jojojoris »

Lechter wrote:oh no,When I use prxtool to analyze game_categories.prx,it show me"Error:Magic value incorrect".
It's decrypted
Use prxdecrypter
http://dl.qj.net/PRXdecrypter-v2.3-PSP- ... /catid/151

Code: Select all

int main(){
     SetupCallbacks();
     makeNiceGame();
     sceKernelExitGame();
}
Lechter

Post by Lechter »

jojojoris wrote:
Lechter wrote:oh no,When I use prxtool to analyze game_categories.prx,it show me"Error:Magic value incorrect".
It's decrypted
Use prxdecrypter
http://dl.qj.net/PRXdecrypter-v2.3-PSP- ... /catid/151
Thanks a lot:)
bbtgp32465

Post by bbtgp32465 »

Iv been reverse engineering game categories for a couple of weeks but its quite hard to keep up with Bubbletune and his weekly releases. If i make any progress i will be sure to post a tutorial on how everything works.

Its to bad there's so much secrecy around the xmb like vlf and game categories. The homebrew community could greatly benefit from there work.
Bubbletune

Post by Bubbletune »

bbtgp32465 wrote:Iv been reverse engineering game categories for a couple of weeks but its quite hard to keep up with Bubbletune and his weekly releases. If i make any progress i will be sure to post a tutorial on how everything works.

Its to bad there's so much secrecy around the xmb like vlf and game categories. The homebrew community could greatly benefit from there work.
I wouldn't speak of secrecy, but rather keeping it closed source. There's a lot of things to do if you want to, say, add an icon to the XMB. Memory Stick icons are the easiest, but others require a lot more work. Considering that, I think releasing the source will just lead to people leeching of Game Categories instead of providing innovative plugins. I have considered more than once to publish the information I have on this matter, and I might reconsider again. I don't plan on releasing the Game Categories source code, but I might code up some samples on adding icons and release them open sourced.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

It would be great, if you could make samples for doing this :-)
"It was a dark, cold night. The moon shines bright and while admire it fade to blood-red. So the night was fulfilled of the bloody death..."
Lechter

Post by Lechter »

Bubbletune wrote:I wouldn't speak of secrecy, but rather keeping it closed source. There's a lot of things to do if you want to, say, add an icon to the XMB. Memory Stick icons are the easiest, but others require a lot more work. Considering that, I think releasing the source will just lead to people leeching of Game Categories instead of providing innovative plugins. I have considered more than once to publish the information I have on this matter, and I might reconsider again. I don't plan on releasing the Game Categories source code, but I might code up some samples on adding icons and release them open sourced.
Thanks for your reply.
I have writed a homebrew to encrypt/decrypt video files,but I haven't any idea to make a beautiful UI.When I saw the Game Categories,it seems good that add a Memory Stick icons to show my crypted video files,and when you try to play them,you need input password first.
Zer01ne

Post by Zer01ne »

Bubbletune wrote: I wouldn't speak of secrecy, but rather keeping it closed source. There's a lot of things to do if you want to, say, add an icon to the XMB. Memory Stick icons are the easiest, but others require a lot more work. Considering that, I think releasing the source will just lead to people leeching of Game Categories instead of providing innovative plugins. I have considered more than once to publish the information I have on this matter, and I might reconsider again. I don't plan on releasing the Game Categories source code, but I might code up some samples on adding icons and release them open sourced.
Yeahhhhh goooood news !!!!!
Draan

Post by Draan »

Finally :)
bbtgp32465

Post by bbtgp32465 »

Bubbletune wrote: I wouldn't speak of secrecy, but rather keeping it closed source. There's a lot of things to do if you want to, say, add an icon to the XMB. Memory Stick icons are the easiest, but others require a lot more work. Considering that, I think releasing the source will just lead to people leeching of Game Categories instead of providing innovative plugins. I have considered more than once to publish the information I have on this matter, and I might reconsider again. I don't plan on releasing the Game Categories source code, but I might code up some samples on adding icons and release them open sourced.
That would be greatly appreciated.