Help re-porting uClinux to the psp

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

coolkehon

Help re-porting uClinux to the psp

Post by coolkehon »

I want to re port uClinux to the psp so that it can be updated and then hopefully (when I get to it and have time) add block devices, network interface, and other things. Plus if i'm not able to do all that stuff I can still run scripts that will tar.gz and other stuff for me on my psp
wankel

Post by wankel »

I like this idea very much. What kind of help are you looking for?
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

I'm having trouble getting the buildroot installed with the correct options at the moment. So in general just about everything.
wankel

Post by wankel »

have you tried looking at jacksons files? that may help you get started
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

yeah I'm still going thru them. rebuilding each time takes time ;)
wankel

Post by wankel »

gotcha =) well i dont know how to get started, but if theres anything you'd like for me to do/try just let me know
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

Well for now I'll have to come back to this project (about 2weeks) because I'm working on other projects and I spend a week on each and rotate them around (this being one) but as to where you should start. I suggest you try to get buildroot installed first which I am having trouble with atm and make sure you are using mipsel just like in uClinux. Basically I want to have an updated busybox and maybe some more options like an image.ext2 file that is mounted so that stuff can be saved. So if it could call a startup script on the memory stick then I could have it mount some of the things etc.
wankel

Post by wankel »

A little late but I believe I got the buildroot successfully installed. What now sir?
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

would you mind posting the steps you did to get it installed correctly
wankel

Post by wankel »

coolkehon, I just used this guide to do it. Very detailed and seems to work well. Let me know how it goes.

http://montamer.blogspot.com/2008/08/bu ... tting.html
npt

Any more help needed? Better with Linux than with PSP...

Post by npt »

wankel wrote:coolkehon, I just used this guide to do it. Very detailed and seems to work well. Let me know how it goes.

I'll third that.. ie this sounds like a fun project, and if I can combine Linux and PSP and make the currently existing psp Linux better, let me know if there is more help wanted / needed.
Regards,

npt
wankel

Re: Any more help needed? Better with Linux than with PSP...

Post by wankel »

npt wrote:
wankel wrote:coolkehon, I just used this guide to do it. Very detailed and seems to work well. Let me know how it goes.

I'll third that.. ie this sounds like a fun project, and if I can combine Linux and PSP and make the currently existing psp Linux better, let me know if there is more help wanted / needed.
Im sure this project can use all the help it can get so feel free to hop on board and start where you feel comfortable starting. I unfortunately am clueless so Im waiting on some guidance here :)
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

this is the error i get
I'm on x64 ubuntu linux 9.10
although I had this problem in 9.04 also

Code: Select all

rm -rf /elf2flt
rm -rf /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/binaries/linuxonpsp/"rootfs".mipsel
/usr/bin/make -j1 -C /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial all-gcc
make[1]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libiberty'
make[3]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libiberty/testsuite'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libiberty/testsuite'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libiberty'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/intl'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/intl'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty'
make[3]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty/testsuite'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty/testsuite'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/fixincludes'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/build-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/fixincludes'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libcpp'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libcpp'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libdecnumber'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/libdecnumber'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/fixincludes'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/fixincludes'
make[2]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/gcc'
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/./gcc/xgcc -B/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/./gcc/ -B/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir/usr/mipsel-linux-uclibc/bin/ -B/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir/usr/mipsel-linux-uclibc/lib/ -isystem /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir/usr/mipsel-linux-uclibc/include -isystem /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir/usr/mipsel-linux-uclibc/sys-include -O2 -g -Os -fno-jump-tables -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE   -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition  -isystem ./include  -I. -I. -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/. -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/../include -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/../libcpp/include -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gmp/include -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/mpfr/include -I/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/../libdecnumber -I../libdecnumber  -g0 -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions -fno-exceptions -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fno-toplevel-reorder   \
	  -c /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/crtstuff.c -DCRT_BEGIN \
	  -o crtbegin.o
In file included from /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/crtstuff.c:68:
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:90:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:93:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:96:19: error: errno.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:103:20: error: string.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:104:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:105:20: error: unistd.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:111:18: error: time.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [crtbegin.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/gcc'
make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial'
make: *** [/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1-initial/.compiled] Error 2
wankel

Post by wankel »

Did you install the "install" and "build-essential" packages before compiling? These usually arent included in a default ubuntu installation.

These specific errors lead me to believe that you may not have them installed.

/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:90:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:93:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:96:19: error: errno.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:103:20: error: string.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:104:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:105:20: error: unistd.h: No such file or directory
/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/tsystem.h:111:18: error: time.h: No such file or directory 
try "sudo apt-get install build-essential"

to be on the safe side though, I would install all the following:

"sudo apt-get install autoconf autogen automake1.9 bison gcc make libtool build-essential flex subversion libncurses5-dev patch texinfo wget"

Im running archlinux x64 and I had all the dev packages installed on my initial install.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

still doesn't work and I had build-essential installed already. I'm going to look through the make files but if you have any suggestions i'm open for them. Also since your on x64 would you mind sending me your buildroot distro already compiled. So that I can see if maybe that will work. I've got a ubuntu one and dropbox account if you want to transfer that way also

dropbox can be found here
https://www.getdropbox.com/
my referal link: (in case because it gives both people extra space)
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTI2ODM2ODI5
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

what make command did you issue.
The Blog says "make source make" but
http://jacksonm88.googlepages.com/linuxonpsp.htm
says "make" and also doesn't add the part about editing the config in the make menuconfig

I'm trying just make which is downloading the linux kernel. I'll see what that does and get back to you. If you have anymore ideas let me know.

edit:
this is the output from that. It also fails

@ubuntu:/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot$ make

Checking build system dependencies:
BUILDROOT_DL_DIR clean:				Ok
CC clean:					Ok
CXX clean:					Ok
CPP clean:					Ok
CFLAGS clean:					Ok
INCLUDES clean:					Ok
CXXFLAGS clean:					Ok
which installed:				Ok
sed works:					Ok (/bin/sed)
GNU make version '3.81':			Ok
[: 202: Illegal number: gcc
C compiler '/usr/bin/gcc'
C compiler version 'gcc':			Ok
[: 233: Illegal number: g++
C++ compiler '/usr/bin/g++'
C++ compiler version 'g++':			Ok
bison installed:				Ok
flex installed:					Ok
gettext installed:				Ok
makeinfo installed:				Ok
Build system dependencies:			Ok

rm -rf /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/buildroot-config
mkdir -p /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp
cp -dpRf package/config/buildroot-config /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/buildroot-config
mkdir -p /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root/etc
echo "" > /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root/etc/issue
echo "" >> /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root/etc/issue
echo "Welcome to Jackson's uClinux environment on PSP" >> /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root/etc/issue
mkdir -p /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root/etc
echo "rhl9.JacksonMo" > /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/project_build_mipsel/linuxonpsp/root/etc/hostname
wget --passive-ftp  -P /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/dl http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6//linux-2.6.22.10.tar.bz2
--2009-11-03 16:26:45--  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6//linux-2.6.22.10.tar.bz2
Resolving www.kernel.org... 149.20.20.133
Connecting to www.kernel.org|149.20.20.133|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 45099502 (43M) [application/x-bzip2]
Saving to: `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/dl/linux-2.6.22.10.tar.bz2'

100%[======================================>] 45,099,502   274K/s   in 4m 49s  

2009-11-03 16:31:40 (152 KB/s) - `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/dl/linux-2.6.22.10.tar.bz2' saved [45099502/45099502]

*** Using kernel-headers generated from kernel source
rm -rf /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux
[ -d /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel ] || /usr/bin/install -d /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel
bzcat /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/dl/linux-2.6.22.10.tar.bz2 | tar -C /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel   -xf -
touch /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux-2.6.22.10/.unpacked
toolchain/patch-kernel.sh /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux-2.6.22.10 toolchain/kernel-headers \
		linux-2.6.22.10-\*.patch{,.gz,.bz2}
touch /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux-2.6.22.10/.patched
(cd /ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux-2.6.22.10; \
	 /usr/bin/make -j1 ARCH=mips \
	 	HOSTCC="/usr/bin/gcc" HOSTCFLAGS="" \
		HOSTCXX="/usr/bin/g++" \
		INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux headers_install; \
	)
make[1]: Entering directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux-2.6.22.10'
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/linux/version.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTCC  scripts/unifdef
scripts/unifdef.c:209: error: conflicting types for ‘getline’
/usr/include/stdio.h:651: note: previous declaration of ‘getline’ was here
make[2]: *** [scripts/unifdef] Error 1
make[1]: *** [headers_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux-2.6.22.10'
make: *** [/ufiles/psplinux/buildroot/toolchain_build_mipsel/linux/.configured] Error 2
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

i was able to download the prebuilt toolchain of buildroot for the psp and it works as far as gcc giving an output (basically it will run on x64). But when I try to compile a helloworld.cpp it gives me the error

/helloworld$ make clean allrm -f helloworld.o helloworld
mipsel-linux-g++  -O2 -g -Wall -fmessage-length=0 -I/usr/local/psplinux/usr/include -static -Wl,-elf2flt -fno-jump-tables    -c -o helloworld.o helloworld.cpp
mipsel-linux-g++: -elf2flt: linker input file unused because linking not done
mipsel-linux-g++  -o helloworld helloworld.o 
/usr/local/psplinux/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.2.1/../../../../mipsel-linux-uclibc/bin/ld.real: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [helloworld] Error 1
wankel

Post by wankel »

The buildroot I compiled failed since it wont do anything apparently. So I downloaded the prebuilt one and got the same error as you. To fix it, I downloaded the mipsel "libc6-dev" package and copied the ctrl.o and ctri.o files from that to the specified location. Now I'm getting this error:

/home/atayh/staging_dir/usr/bin/mipsel-linux-gcc -I/home/atayh/staging_dir/usr/include -static -Wl,-elf2flt -fno-jump-tables -o h.c
/home/atayh/staging_dir/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.2.1/../../../../mipsel-linux-uclibc/bin/ld.real: error: no memory region specified for loadable section `__libc_freeres_fn'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
wankel

Post by wankel »

Okay I got it to compile but I cannot execute the program. When its compiled I get two files, one hello and one hello.gdb. When trying to execute the hello file I get this:

bash: ./hello: cannot execute binary file
Whats the deal?
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

well I got it to compile an executable some how but on uclinux (psp) it says something similar to BIN not FLAT. So i'm guessing it wasn't a flat executable like uclinux on the psp needs
wankel

Post by wankel »

AHHH I got it! I compiled a hello world app in the toolchain, ran it on the psp in uclinux and displayed the damn hello world. Heres how I did it:

Step 1:
Download the precompiled toolchain and unpack it.

Step 2:
copy the following files from /staging_dir/usr/lib to /staging_dir/mipsel-linux-uclibc/lib:

crt1.o
crti.o
crtn.o

Step 3:
Write your source file and place it in /staging_dir, and compile with the following:

/home/USERNAME/staging_dir/usr/bin/mipsel-linux-gcc -I/home/USERNAME/staging_dir/usr/include -static -Wl,-elf2flt -fno-jump-tables helloworld.c -o hello

Let me know if that works for you :)
npt

I'll be making the jump to hyperspace this weekend...

Post by npt »

Too much Linux / BSD tech support during M-F 8-5. And I am so dead tired when I get home, the spirit of a project often requires me to start on Saturday morning early. Very glad to hear you guys are getting started, I think we can make a more updated version of PSPLinux and hopefully get it compiling 2.6.32-rc5-git3, or at least 2.6.31.

BTW, I am a Gentoo user, just so we have all our distros on the table. I also keep an Ubuntu box around for things that install easier with a debian descendant, for instance the toolchain. : )
Regards,

npt
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

great work wankel. Thanks mine too compiles.

I have mine in /usr/local/psplinux and I created a workspace folder in there for eclipse and other projects. I'm not very good at makefiles but I made this one and it works.
Also I added /usr/local/psplinux/usr/bin to my path so I don't think it actually needs to be in the staging dir

edit: It doesn't need to be in the staging_dir because it can find mipsel-linux-gcc from the path.

CC=mipsel-linux-gcc
CXX=mipsel-linux-g++
LD=mipsel-linux-ld 
AR=mipsel-linux-ar
AS=mipsel-linux-as
NM=mipsel-linux-nm
STRIP=mipsel-linux-strip
RANLIB=mipsel-linux-ranlib
DLLTOOL=mipsel-linux-dlltool
OBJDUMP=mipsel-linux-objdump
RESCOMP=mipsel-linux-windres

OBJS =		helloworld.o 
TARGET =	helloworld 

INCDIR = 
LDFLAGS = -L/usr/local/psplinux/usr/lib
CFLAGS = -static -Wl,-elf2flt -fno-jump-tables  
CXXFLAGS =	
CXXFLAGS += $(CFLAGS) 
ASFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)

DEFS =  

INCS = 	-I. -I/usr/local/psplinux/usr/include 

CFLAGS += $(DEFS) $(INCS) 

STDLIBS =  

YOURLIBS =  

LIBS = $(YOURLIBS) $(STDLIBS) 

$(TARGET):	$(OBJS)
	$(CXX) -o $(TARGET) $(CXXFLAGS) $(OBJS) $(LIBS)

all:	$(TARGET)

clean:
	rm -f $(OBJS) $(TARGET)
edit2: changed target g++ flags to CXXFLAGS
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

it seems helloworld can't accept command line args though
wankel

Post by wankel »

coolkehon wrote:it seems helloworld can't accept command line args though
Is that something that maybe needs to be added to kernel? What command line arguments are you referring to so I can test it out
wankel

Re: I'll be making the jump to hyperspace this weekend...

Post by wankel »

npt wrote:Too much Linux / BSD tech support during M-F 8-5. And I am so dead tired when I get home, the spirit of a project often requires me to start on Saturday morning early. Very glad to hear you guys are getting started, I think we can make a more updated version of PSPLinux and hopefully get it compiling 2.6.32-rc5-git3, or at least 2.6.31.

BTW, I am a Gentoo user, just so we have all our distros on the table. I also keep an Ubuntu box around for things that install easier with a debian descendant, for instance the toolchain. : )
coolkehon and myself are trying to get the buildroot sorted out at the moment, but whenever you get the time feel free to jump right in. Hopefully we'll have something that works before saturday :)
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

wankel wrote:
Is that something that maybe needs to be added to kernel? What command line arguments are you referring to so I can test it out
it won't accept any command line args. in fact when I try to printf argv[0] which should be the location of helloworld it == NULL
wankel

Post by wankel »

coolkehon wrote:
wankel wrote:
it won't accept any command line args. in fact when I try to printf argv[0] which should be the location of helloworld it == NULL
Sorry Im not a really good programmer so Im not sure whats going on here. Any progress made on that? Im assuming this would be an issue if we tried to move forward?
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

i havent figured it out yet and i don't know assembly language yet either. Just some c/c++ and no kernel programming experience. But while thinking it over i think it may be a problem with busybox. because grep, etc accept commands from the terminal.

@wankel. do you think you could try to get busybox recompiled
because i'm busy with some stuff atm

also here i found these files
http://psplinux.berlios.de/wiki/Downloads
they should work
wankel

Post by wankel »

I can give it a whirl, ill let you know how it goes.