Porting android OS to PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ReCreate

Porting android OS to PSP?

Post by ReCreate »

I simply ask if anyone has tried to port Google android OS to the PSP.
Since the source has been released(a quick google search should find it) I thought that someone may have ported it, the PSP has pretty much the same internals as a phone.(generally speaking) So it should work, right?
(New Member on the Loose)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wrong. From the Android About page:
Android relies on Linux version 2.6 for core system services such as security, memory management, process management, network stack, and driver model. The kernel also acts as an abstraction layer between the hardware and the rest of the software stack.
The PSP's CPU doesn't have an MMU, so the regular linux kernel can't be used. There's uclinux, but that's not in a state on the PSP where it's useful for anything. Also, the PSP doesn't have enough memory.
Producted

Post by Producted »

The core of the Android OS's goal is to run on mobile phones. It'd need a lot of editing before you stripped out all that stuff. Out of my head the source package is around the 2GB big. So yeah....
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Oh well...(also, the psp has 64MB of memory, is that not enough?)
Thanks anyways.
(New Member on the Loose)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

No. Cell phones running something like Android will have a minimum of 128 MB. Also, you forget that all the Phat PSPs out there only have 32 MB.
liberty

64M IS ENOUGH

Post by liberty »

Of course NOT minimal 64M.

I run Android on my HP mobile phone(originally running on Windows mobile) with 64M memory without problem.
J.F.

Re: 64M IS ENOUGH

Post by J.F. »

liberty wrote:Of course NOT minimal 64M.

I run Android on my HP mobile phone(originally running on Windows mobile) with 64M memory without problem.
That's because the linux kernel provides virtual memory... which requires an MMU which doesn't exist on the PSP as mentioned earlier. Uclinux was made specifically for CPUs without an MMU, but because there's no MMU, there's no virtual memory/memory paging, which means you need REAL memory to do anything with it.