Questions about Internet Browser

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Tidus873

Questions about Internet Browser

Post by Tidus873 »

Does someone have an idea why the browser doesn't load up some text files fully?

it's not the memory because I tried using the high memory mod browser but it still doesn't work properly and when I open these text files on the ubuntu's text reader on the psp it loads up fine.Also when loading them with a Japanese text reader I found on the Internet.Also are there any codepages that are not listed in the browser settings menu but are actually available?
Criptych

Re: Questions about Internet Browser

Post by Criptych »

Tidus873 wrote:Does someone have an idea why the browser doesn't load up some text files fully?
I have this problem, too. But if you scroll past the end of the "incomplete" file, it repeats from the beginning, and has a little bit more of the file. And continues to repeat until, at the very bottom, there's your complete text file. This is a real pain for large files. :(
Torch

Post by Torch »

Because its shite. Use Opera Mini 5, now with tabbed browsing :)
Criptych

Post by Criptych »

Torch wrote:Because its shite.
No argument there. ;)
Torch wrote:Use Opera Mini 5, now with tabbed browsing :)
Tried it, but as cool as it is to see Opera running on my PSP, it runs even slower than NetFront. :( Probably because it's an emulator.

A native build of Google Chrome for PSP (not the web-based "no CFW needed" one, eww) would be even cooler, but I don't know enough about either Chrome's source or PSP development yet to try it myself.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Criptych wrote:Tried it, but as cool as it is to see Opera running on my PSP, it runs even slower than NetFront. :( Probably because it's an emulator.

A native build of Google Chrome for PSP (not the web-based "no CFW needed" one, eww) would be even cooler, but I don't know enough about either Chrome's source or PSP development yet to try it myself.
Its pretty fast for me @ 222MHz, albeit a bit slower than Opera Mini 4.2, but hey its still beta.

No regular browser is going to work well on the PSP with its limited RAM.
Criptych

Post by Criptych »

Torch wrote:Its pretty fast for me @ 222MHz, albeit a bit slower than Opera Mini 4.2, but hey its still beta.
Really? For me everything lags 2-3 seconds behind every button press.
Torch wrote:No regular browser is going to work well on the PSP with its limited RAM.
True, but there must be one that's better than NetFront and still runs at full speed. I hate to suggest writing one from scratch, but maybe that's the only way. Or maybe modding PSPKVM to pre-compile classes instead of JITting (assuming that's what it does)?
MistPhoenix

Post by MistPhoenix »

I used to use Links2 Browser, it is a homebrew internet browser from a long time ago. It offers alot of features, alot more than what NetFront and Opera probably both offer, and it seems to have fast page rendering.
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

How heavy is web kit? If it's light enough then maybe rather than a chromium port perhaps you can try uzbl as it is really not that much more on top of web kit.
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

http://www.sand-labs.org/owb

Apparently low footprint, and there's even a simple SDL port included in the source.
:)
Tidus873

Post by Tidus873 »

It's really frustrating - I like the way I can navigate with the analog stick, that's why I'm trying to figure out what's not working.BTW i tried reading the same file on my friend's slim PSP and it loaded up fully which got me even more jealous.And I think when you play around with the display mode options it stopped the returning to the start of the file bug.But anyway what I was thinking was if there is a way to put the Slim PSP's version of the browser to a fat PSP somehow
Art

Post by Art »

The slim PSP has twice the RAM of the Fat though.
If not actually, then potentially.
Criptych

Post by Criptych »

Tidus873 wrote:BTW i tried reading the same file on my friend's slim PSP and it loaded up fully which got me even more jealous. ... But anyway what I was thinking was if there is a way to put the Slim PSP's version of the browser to a fat PSP somehow
I don't think there's any significant difference. From what I've heard, it doesn't even take advantage of the Slim's extra RAM (but there is a mod to do that). What's the file you're trying to load?
Tidus873 wrote: And I think when you play around with the display mode options it stopped the returning to the start of the file bug.
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try it out.
m0skit0

Post by m0skit0 »

(PLEASE DELETE)
The Incredible Bill Gates wrote:The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers.
Producted

Post by Producted »

Idk if it's something but if you go the irshell website on your psp and you try to download irshell on your psp, it freezes. Could this be a buffer overflow?
a_noob

Post by a_noob »

load it all up in psplinkusb and check out the registers. Maybe, but its unlikely.

Code: Select all

.øOº'ºOø.
'ºOo.oOº'
Producted

Post by Producted »

I never managed to set up PSPlink so meh. If anyone wants to try it, go ahead. x)