PSPlink on Vista x64

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

minderz

PSPlink on Vista x64

Post by minderz »

Psplink x64 drivers fails to install on vista x64.
Is there a solution (e.g. editing the inf file....) ?
Tnx in advance
Torch

Post by Torch »

You need to patch Vista x64 to install unsigned drivers first. In any case if I'm not mistaken the x64 libusb drivers are for XP x64 and Server 2003 x64, not for Vista/7. (Unless they are compatible).
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

The problem isn't compatibility, it's the OS requiring signed drivers. I've used DSEO (driver signature enforcement overrider, did it by hand before using the vista DDK and the results are basically the same) to get vista into unsigned driver mode and to test-sign the 64bit psplink drivers, works fine for me.

Followed the instructions (here), though it is a compromise as setting your machine permanently (well, until/unless you disable it) into allowing test-mode drivers is a security risk (and as such, my AV also detects DSEO as a genric something or other.) If you've already installed non-working drivers you will need to plug in and update them through device manager to test-signed ones.
minderz

It Works

Post by minderz »

Thanx a lot.
It works with dseo.
unfortunately i didn't try that kind of solution because of totally different error messages like code39, missing file... and so on. Damn Windows.
Thanx again... testing time.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

I did consider writing a windows specific version of usbhostfs using MS's WinUSB which would get around all the driver signing problems. Shame I am too lazy ;)
Torch

Post by Torch »

Wow, didn't know WinUSB existed. Seems like a very non-Microsoft thing to do, considering they milk companies of thousands of dollars for WHQL certifications for both hardware drivers and software only drivers. Surprising they didn't force driver signing for Windows 7 x86.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

thanks i can use this to fix my peerguardian too
unsigned int

Post by unsigned int »

I wrote a small wrapper to redirect the libusb calls to WinUSB.

It uses the the PSPdisp "PSP Type C" WinUSB driver to communicate with the device. For the PC application this is completely transparent and no configuration has to be changed. Only the file "libusb0.dll" has to be replaced by the one provided in the archive.

On the PSP side, you have to change the device Id to 0x1CA. In PSPLINK this can be done by editing the psplink.ini file.

The only downside I experienced is that there is no equivalent of "usb_reset()" in WinUSB. This means that if the PSP gets into an undefined state, the game or the PSP has to be restarted.

I detailed the procedure more in the readme file, source is included.

http://jjs.at/software/lwbridge.html
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Isn't it sufficient to just unplug then replug the USB cable?
unsigned int

Post by unsigned int »

Usually it is. Also when typing in the "reset" command into pspsh.exe or exiting a started prx the PSP resets itself, so this is no problem.

But when you have the connection established and just close the pspsh window (by a window command, Alt-F4 or the like), no "valid" connection can be established anymore. The "host0:" prompt never comes up again. Unplugging and replugging shows the "Connected to device" message again, but doesn't help.

I believe this has to do with the lack of usb_reset() on the PC side.