Is SDL port active

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

SpaceForce

Is SDL port active

Post by SpaceForce »

Recently I'm dealing with PSP development using SDL
It seems that the SDL series has been abandoned for 2 or 3 years, ingnoring useful updates at the SDL official site

Will it be updated in the future? Expecting.......
NJU SE
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

I don't think anyone is specifically working on it, but if you want to port the updates and post the patches, I'll look over and commit them.
SpaceForce

Post by SpaceForce »

er.... so it was abandoned:\

althought lack of time and skills, I think i might do some contribs in future
PS: thx to the work of the author and porter, code based on SDL just need a few lines of modification to compile and run on PSP with a fps of 150 or more
NJU SE
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The only changes recently are the two I made that never made it to the repo - you'll find a thread on my PSPGL and SDL with TV support somewhere here, and the other change to SDL I made was a fast resampler for the audio that works (converts odd sample rates to the rate you told SDL you wanted). The default SDL resampler really sucked. The SDL with TV support will have that change too.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Was there ever a reason why the PSP SDL port wasn't submitted to Lantinga for inclusion into the official tree? Seems like it'd avoid bit rot better...
"He was warned..."
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

why didn't anyone add my ports of SDL libraries to the repos =(
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

mrbrown wrote:Was there ever a reason why the PSP SDL port wasn't submitted to Lantinga for inclusion into the official tree? Seems like it'd avoid bit rot better...
Just laziness I suppose.
To me, bit rot didn't seem like that big of a problem given that many of SDL's changelog entries relate to specific OS and system drivers. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to start pushing things upstream.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

coolkehon wrote:why didn't anyone add my ports of SDL libraries to the repos =(
Post a patch against svn to the patch submissions forums and someone will review & commit. Otherwise scattered postings are likely to get lost.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

how do i make a patch, what is a patch, and how can i use it. would you explain? (no google this time)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

coolkehon wrote:how do i make a patch

Code: Select all

diff -ruN <original file> <modified file> > <patch file>
what is a patch, and how can i use it.
A patch file has the differences between the original file and your modified file. If you have the original and a patch file, then you use patch to make the modified file.

Code: Select all

patch -p0 < <patch file>
for more detailed info, google diff and patch.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

A preferable way to make the patch would be to make the changes to the SVN repository, running "svn add" etc to add new files, and then send the output of "svn diff".
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jimparis wrote:A preferable way to make the patch would be to make the changes to the SVN repository, running "svn add" etc to add new files, and then send the output of "svn diff".
Well, yes, if you were just making minor changes to what's in the repo. For something like updating SDL from an old version to the latest, it would really be better to start with the original source of the latest SDL and a patch file for the PSP changes, ignoring the repo altogether.
pegasus2000

Post by pegasus2000 »

In this moment, I'm working on ndSDL, a revolutionary porting
that will be released in Nanodesktop 0.5.

Wait for the end of the month.

P.S.

I've some demos ready if you want to see something...