DSL [damn small linux]

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

darkfang

DSL [damn small linux]

Post by darkfang »

why not port it to psp!!??
16mb ram is the minimum requirement
has web browsers and stuff
seems reasonable to me dont strike me down just cuz i asked lol
WE MUST FIND RAW SOCKETS FOR PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Only uclinux works on the PSP because the CPU doesn't have an MMU. The amount of physical ram doesn't matter as the normal linux kernel uses swap memory, which requires an MMU. Find a distro that uses the uclinux kernel and we'll talk. :)
DanielC

Post by DanielC »

Yeah, that idea is a little ignorant. Not flaming you, just being blunt. Considering Linux is an open-source OS, it'd be much better working from the ground up rather than 'porting' an x86 distro. The work involved in editing code would be tedious and tiresome, not to mention prone to bugs, and in the end I think it'd actually be LESS work to create a Linux from scratch.

BTW, is the uclinux for PSP project actually active...? I can't seem to find any reputable sources that isn't years old.
Regards,
Daniel C
jean

Post by jean »

<sarchasm>Yeah..why not? creating an OS from scratch is surely a good idea</sarchasm>. No, seriously: the idea behind requests like this is to exploit pre-exsistent software portability from a platform to another. Sure you'll have to recompile sources, but existent linux software would need small-to-no-changes. There's no point in using something that doesn't even allow for a decent GUI only because it's called Linux, and that's why no effort is spent toward this aim, beyond educational purposes. So, i'll say what probably most wouldn't say to avoid being called an idiot: why shouldn't a software MMU emulation layer be considered?
DanielC

Post by DanielC »

Well, seeing how Linux is designed to be portable, I guess so, yeah. But it's not an ENTIRE OS from scratch, kernel is already there and that's the hardest part aint it. Oh well, I dunno. I was just spouting random opinion really =P
Regards,
Daniel C
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

wandara wrote:Can a usb wireless adapter connect to a adsl cable connection?
my family already has a adsl cable connection and i have just recently bought a laptop and was wondering if i can connect the adsl cable connection through a usb wireless adapter.
Um.. Where does this fixs in with the topic? This is about Linux/uclinux, not wireless adapters. Please ask somewhere else.

Bumping up an old thread is wrong unless you have did something that support this subject. Any and all uClinux comments can just goto that thread.
PSHN - Playstation Hacking Network
PSX/PS1 - HACK - Game Shark
PS2 - HACK - Swap
PSP - HACK - Pandora
PS3 - ?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

That was a spambot whose links didn't come through.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

so is uclinux still active seems like i heard about there being some gui with it
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

I wish. J.F. might know, but I wish it be a continuous project. But the only problem is that linux needs a MMU to work with most programs, which the psp dont have. I dont know if there's a patch to bypass the usage of the MMU, but until then, we can only do limited amount of things.
PS2 - HACK - Swap
PSP - HACK - Pandora
PS3 - ?
willow :--)

Post by willow :--) »

J.F. wrote:That was a spambot whose links didn't come through.
they did, in its sig. The user should be banned and the post should be removed.
and Darius12345, you should learn to recognize bots from human beings, it will help you when skynet takes control.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

willow :--) wrote:
and Darius12345, you should learn to recognize bots from human beings, it will help you when skynet takes control.
Actually, the sig didn't come through originally. The spammer edited their account after I posted to make the sig show. I guess this is the new spambot code - they create an account, post, then edit the account later to add the spam. That seems to be working... which means the mods got more work to do. :(
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

J.F. wrote:
willow :--) wrote:
Actually, the sig didn't come through originally. The spammer edited their account after I posted to make the sig show. I guess this is the new spambot code - they create an account, post, then edit the account later to add the spam. That seems to be working... which means the mods got more work to do. :(
Really, I never expected spam bots to get pass the security. Maybe the website owner should install better security.
PS2 - HACK - Swap
PSP - HACK - Pandora
PS3 - ?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Maybe you should get a grip and learn to ignore them like everyone else :-)
Producted

Post by Producted »

To be honest, I don't think that the 'world' is waiting on another slow and buggy OS port / emulation.
"You guys" should think about porting a good webbrowser with decent support (like AJAX etc).
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Or maybe OWB.
Producted

Post by Producted »

Oracle warehouse builder? That was the most relevant term Google came with...
And, why would you need an advanced database system on the PSP?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Producted wrote:Oracle warehouse builder? That was the most relevant term Google came with...
And, why would you need an advanced database system on the PSP?
:D

I can't believe you haven't heard of OWB.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

i've never heard of it either and thats what i saw on google figured it was wrong since you were talking about web browsers so what is it
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

coolkehon wrote:so what is it
Err.... follow the link in the post. >.>
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

oh ok well how come you havent ported it yet whats keeping you
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Never said I was or even wanted to. Someone suggested a browser to port, so I suggested another I was familiar with. I've seen ports of OWB pop up on all sorts of platforms recently, so it's probably easier to port than other browsers. Not that I care - I've only ever used the browser on my PSP once just to see what it was like.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

would you mind porting it please =)
Wally

Post by Wally »

perhaps the PSP doesn't need a web browser?
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

the one it has now is slow and it doesnt support much memory
Wally

Post by Wally »

coolkehon wrote:the one it has now is slow and it doesnt support much memory
Again, perhaps we don't NEED A FREAKING web browser... Surely not everything needs a web browser..
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

i use the internet alot and so do many more its got email (mail for internet) music, videos, downloads( free stuff) and much more and you say we dont need it i've used it to post here before it comes in handy
Wally

Post by Wally »

coolkehon wrote:i use the internet alot and so do many more its got email (mail for internet) music, videos, downloads( free stuff) and much more and you say we dont need it i've used it to post here before it comes in handy
The PSP doesn't even have a keyboard or a proper mouse, perhaps once that is implemented maybe then it'll make sense. :)
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

its got a analog stick - dpad and sceUtility thing plus danzeff and other keyboard implements
Wally

Post by Wally »

coolkehon wrote:its got a analog stick - dpad and sceUtility thing plus danzeff and other keyboard implements
I do see your point but your PSP would need to be in an wifi zone, unless someone makes a 3G attachment =)

If someone did make a decent web browser then that'd be okay.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

i though there was wifi at mcdonalds, hospitals, and other places plus i hear california has some wifi thing going on but thats in the US and planes have wifi plus other stuff i can walk down the street and probably find some wifi from someone's house so there may be ALOT of wifi dead zones but there is some out there