Threading and dialogue boxes

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

trecool999

Threading and dialogue boxes

Post by trecool999 »

I realise that this is probably a very simple thing to do but I am not too sure on going about it.
I'd like to be able to show a message box, one of the boxes with the line you can type in and to be able to show the keypad, any guides to this?
Google and extensive searching reveals nothing :(.

Please and thank you =]
Last edited by trecool999 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
blu_eye4

Post by blu_eye4 »

Well, are tou trying a GUI on PSP? If your answer is yes, you have to try Nanodesktop Library! :D
trecool999

Post by trecool999 »

No. At this point in time I am just writing a few demo EBOOTs for me and a mate trying to learn basic C++.
I know how to use C++, it's just all the functions and methods I don't know.
Basically, I am teaching myself and all I really need the dialogue box for is to say "This is a dialogue box" to help me remember in code how to do it with just a basic background.

I've seen all these methods like sceKernelCreateMbx and sceKernelSendMbx but don't really know how to use them.
Thanks for trying to help btw.
trecool999

Post by trecool999 »

Is homebrewing on the PSP dead? Because this forum seems to be.
I usually have to leave around 1 hour for a reply on any other forum, but for this one I guess I have to wait more than 6 :(.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

What you want is already in existing threads. The forum isn't dead, we just don't answer threads that ask questions that have already been answered. At least, we don't until they start whining, and then someone like me makes a post tearing them a new one for not searching first. SHEESH!!

You'll find a sample for message dialogs in the Utility directory of the samples in the SDK. You'll also find examples in various programs and some libs released here. Use the search facility - that's what it's for. You could also use google to search the site if you don't like the search the forum provides.
trecool999

Post by trecool999 »

I have searched.
I have searched Google.
I have used the search in here.
I have used the search at psp-programming.com.
I have looked through the PSP utility header files.
When I say I have searched extensively, I mean that, I am not a noob.
I managed to find a good example of what I needed online. The weird thing is, the precompiled version works, whereas when I try to compile the source, it tells me that the unknown values don't really exist. So when I delete references to them, it compiles, and doesn't work.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You need classes in how to search, then. Maybe you're not a noob in programming, but you're CLEARLY a noob in searching. :D

Some of the fields in the utility structure were updated some time ago, but that means that old code needs to use the new field names instead of the old names. If you simply delete the field reference, it won't work because you're not filling out the structure. You should look at current code that uses the utilities. Try the utility code in PSPGL with TV support (search for that here), or SDL with TV support (also here).

I'm not going to give you links to either as you clearly need the practice searching. Let's build those search skills! :P :)
trecool999

Post by trecool999 »

I know how to search thanks, I usually sort out my own problems, but this one is really bugging me.
Are there any places where I can just include a pspdialogue.cpp file without having to go through the hassle of splitting apart the utility sample? There is a heck of a lot of messy code in there.
Ok, I've split the code inside the utility sample, and I can now show dialogue boxes.
I will need a little longer to get the hold of it, but thanks for your help anyway.

Chris
Last edited by trecool999 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay... a little help. The libs I mentioned are in this thread: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10463

If you look at SDL/src/video/psp/SDL_pspvideo.c, you'll find a simple example of using the dialog utility to get a simple two-choice input from the user.

Look in the code for Doom, found here: http://groups.google.com/group/chilly-w ... -psp?hl=en

You'll find code for using the utility to get a text string in psp_main.c, which is called from psp_system.c (among other places).
trecool999

Post by trecool999 »

I think I have finally found out how to use the basics of them. I'll look at those links a little later.

One more thing, have you got any information on creating threads? I know the bare basics, but there are no samples for anything remotely advanced. Anything I can use?

Thanks for your help!
Chris
http://www.myspace.com/inmonoofficial
pegasus2000

Post by pegasus2000 »

A SDK that can do this can be useful for you ?

http://video.google.it/videosearch?hl=i ... a=N&tab=wv#
trecool999

Post by trecool999 »

pegasus2000 wrote:A SDK that can do this can be useful for you ?

http://video.google.it/videosearch?hl=i ... a=N&tab=wv#
No thank you. I need to know how to use the default Dialogue boxes rather than ones in a full blown GUI SDK.

|---------------------------------------------------|
|................................................................|
|................The title goes here.....................|
|...................The text here..........................|
|.........X Enter........................O Back..........|
|................................................................|
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

trecool999 wrote:I think I have finally found out how to use the basics of them. I'll look at those links a little later.

One more thing, have you got any information on creating threads? I know the bare basics, but there are no samples for anything remotely advanced. Anything I can use?
The main SDK docs are: http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/

That just tells you what various functions do. Examples have to be pulled from the samples or from existing apps and libs. For an example of thread creation and such, check out the OpenAL code I posted earlier this month. The passing of arguments in particular is weird, not conforming to the "standard" everyone else uses. PSP threads are passed a COPY of the data passed during the creation.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

oslib (oslibmod better) has a message box function and is good for begginers when it comes to programming for psp i dont remeber website but just google oslibmod

edit: forums is not dead just people dont always respond alot psp-programming.com has better response time for homebrew and this place is for advanced stuff more about why a function or something doesnt work rather than how to use the function to make stuff in algorithms etc