OpenAL

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

J.F.

OpenAL

Post by J.F. »

As part of something Wally and I are working on, I needed to port OpenAL to the PSP. Here's the initial result. This is a port of OpenAL-Soft 1.6.372, and freealut 1.1.0. I also converted the examples to the PSP for testing.

What do you get? You get an output device that outputs 16 bit stereo at 44100 Hz (the mixer will convert other rates and formats to that), and an input device that captures 16 bit mono at 44100, 22050, or 11025 Hz (you MUST specify that EXACTLY or it won't open).

There are two OpenAL examples - one that gives all the info about the driver, and another that captures from the mic and plays out the headphones (only SOCOM mic support right now). There are two ALUT examples - one that plays the built-in "Hello World" waveform, and another that plays four different waves from the memstick.

The capture example is particularly handy as it's almost impossible to find OpenAL capture example code on the net. My example was based off an abandoned non-functional example someone did but couldn't get working.

freealut-psp-090314.zip
openal-soft-psp-090314.zip
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

Nice work as always, JF. I was considering looking into porting OpenAL in the coming weeks/months as it seemed no one was ever going to do it :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

it took him five minutes :P
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

Then he saved us five minutes :D
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally's just exaggerating a little as a joke... it was actually probably about 10 hours of work all added up, with much of that being debugging. If you find a problem, be sure to let me know... or post a fix in the thread if you correct it yourself.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

J.F. - love you :) Seriously thanks for you hard work :> I will also test library :)
NoEffex

Post by NoEffex »

Have I ever told you I want to bear your children? Because I do.
Programming with:
Geany + Latest PSPSDK from svn
justin

Post by justin »

This makes me happy! Thnx.
fungos

Post by fungos »

Is that on svn or psp libraries script already?
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

Thanks for sharing :)
Upgrade your PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

@Pirata: You're welcome.

@fungos: Most lib conversions don't get added to the svn unless they're pretty important. OpenAL isn't one of those things you see too often, so it would surprise me if it ever made it into the repo.
fungos

Post by fungos »

@J.F.: Yeah. I think OpenAL is amazingly important for any game ;) Maybe we can get it into svn.

Good job btw, you're the man.
justin

Post by justin »

Finally got around to implementing this in a game. Works out of the box, thanks :) Bye bye SDL_mixer!