SIO what is it

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

coolkehon

SIO what is it

Post by coolkehon »

I looked on google and wiki and couldnt find what SIO was but i keep seeing it for the psp so what is it and what good is it
Art

Post by Art »

Serial Input/Output... the basic serial port present at the headphone connector.
If not actually, then potentially.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

ok cool thanks i was wondering i kept seeing serial port on the internet and thats what it sounded like but i looked at the psp and said that can only be the usb but then why is the usb defined separtly so this cleared things up

so what can i do with the serial port besides remote and skype headphone
jean

Post by jean »

There's only a word to describe your attitude: laziness. If you bothered to search, not only you would have found that SIO equals to Serial Input Output, but you would have found dozens of projects involving SIO for debug or to attach keyboards, to connect with external devices such as barcode readers, touchpads, vehicle diagnostic, robotics and so on...
Just because forum rules says that posts must have a content beyond personal communication, i will say that PSP SIO is a quite standard serial port controlled by a USART whose differences with a common PC serial port are:
1) voltage level are 0 - +2,5 v
2) baud rate is not fixed to the same old values but can be fine adjusted
3) only tx/rx lines are present: no CTS etc...

To easily control PSP SIO port you could use the driver i put together time ago collecting and adjusting code from other projects (just search).
I repeat: next time try searching first: your time is NOT more valuable than ours.
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

woah man you got it all wrong i did search but was confused as to why there was a serail port for the psp and all i saw was the usb i know a camera and gps can go there but i was i thought the usb port was the sio port but was sure because wiki had something that looked like a monitor plug and i couldnt figure it out so thats why i just asked here
jean

Post by jean »

Sorry to insist on this but no. There's no way someone reading a minimum of 2-3 pages or posts on this topic could confuse a usb port with SIO. You're lazy and i was kidding about this, fullstop. No one will kill you for this anyway :)
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

i read some of the post on SIO and me having no knowledge of this i knew nothing about SIO and wasnt sure what they were talking about hence this post i looked on wiki and google and it said serial port something and i thought the psp doesnt have any serial thing all i see is usb a serial to me before now was that all those things had holes for pins or either had pins for holes unlike usb which slides in metal to metal i thought the now know sio port was some sort of usb port because of all of those different types of usb ports and adapter they have