[SOLVED]My SDL app doesn't work on fw 5.xx anymore

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Oguz286

[SOLVED]My SDL app doesn't work on fw 5.xx anymore

Post by Oguz286 »

Hello everyone,

I've been searching on the forums and on google, but I just can't seem to find the answer. I've been working on a simple 2D engine with SDL and a while back when I was on fw 3.90 it worked like a charm, but now on fw 5.0 M33-3 it doesn't do anything anymore. When I'm debugging in Eclipse and running the prx with psplink everything works fine, but the EBOOT doesn't work. I'm sure I've missed something important but sadly I haven't had much time to use my PSP and now that I have more time, it seems there's another setback.

I'm also working on a 3DS model viewer and that works (somewhat, it doesn't render all the triangles for some reason, displaying a 'shredded' teapotl). Is it SDL related?

Can someone shed some light on this?
Last edited by Oguz286 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setting up pspsdk on ubuntu and upcoming tutorials: http://www.guztech.nl
Wally

Re: My SDL app doesn't work on fw 5.xx anymore

Post by Wally »

Oguz286 wrote:Hello everyone,

I've been searching on the forums and on google, but I just can't seem to find the answer. I've been working on a simple 2D engine with SDL and a while back when I was on fw 3.90 it worked like a charm, but now on fw 5.0 M33-3 it doesn't do anything anymore. When I'm debugging in Eclipse and running the prx with psplink everything works fine, but the EBOOT doesn't work. I'm sure I've missed something important but sadly I haven't had much time to use my PSP and now that I have more time, it seems there's another setback.

I'm also working on a 3DS model viewer and that works (somewhat, it doesn't render all the triangles for some reason, displaying a 'shredded' teapotl). Is it SDL related?

Can someone shed some light on this?
Try updating to 5.00 M33-6 see if that helps!
Oguz286

Re: My SDL app doesn't work on fw 5.xx anymore

Post by Oguz286 »

Wally4000 wrote: Try updating to 5.00 M33-6 see if that helps!
I just tried it now but unfortunately it still doesn't work. Normally I'd see the memory stick led flash since my engine is loading some sprites and sounds and I'd see a mouse pointer on the screen when loading the data but now it just doesn't do anything.

Btw, I had the PSP_FW_VERSION = 390 in my Makefile but I commented it out and still no go. I'll try 500 and see if it works.

EDIT: I just changed the code a bit and it returned back to the XMB. What it normally would do is to initialize SDL and when that would fail it would just return 1. Since it's a PSP I added sceKernelExitGame() so it seems that the initialization fails.
It also means that if you don't issue the sceKernelExitGame() command the game won't exit to the XMB even if the end of main() is reached, which makes sense since there are a couple of callbacks running as a thread.
So SDL fails to initialize in fw 5.00 but works in 3.90. Now I've just got to figure out why. Anyone experienced the same?
Last edited by Oguz286 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wally

Post by Wally »

were you using the 1.5 kernel in 3.90 M33?

Perhaps your program hasn't been ported correctly to the 5XX kernel.

Set the heapsize? (-256 or -1024)
Building as a PRX?

etc etc.
Oguz286

Post by Oguz286 »

No because I have the Slim version, so I can't use the 1.5 kernel (although if I compile my other apps for 1.5 they work on my slim for some reason).

My heapsize is set to MAX and yes I'm also building it as a prx for debugging purposes which works just fine. It's just the EBOOT on the memory card that is giving me trouble.

Btw if it's not ported to the 5.00 kernel correctly (I didn't port anything, I just recompiled it), how come the prx works with psplink? I'm not too experienced with the differences between the old and new kernels so it could be the lack of knowledge.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Oguz286 wrote:My heapsize is set to MAX and yes I'm also building it as a prx for debugging purposes which works just fine. It's just the EBOOT on the memory card that is giving me trouble.
A heapsize of MAX will make most programs fail to run as not enough memory is left for things like creating threads.
Oguz286

Post by Oguz286 »

J.F. wrote: A heapsize of MAX will make most programs fail to run as not enough memory is left for things like creating threads.
Yes! It works now. I guess you really have to think about heap memory allocation now than you had to before (or I just never noticed it until now). I guess the prx version reserves some memory so that it runs fine but the EBOOT just allocated everything it can find. I'd better be carefull next time. Thank the help guys, I really appreciate it!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Oguz286 wrote:
J.F. wrote: A heapsize of MAX will make most programs fail to run as not enough memory is left for things like creating threads.
Yes! It works now. I guess you really have to think about heap memory allocation now than you had to before (or I just never noticed it until now). I guess the prx version reserves some memory so that it runs fine but the EBOOT just allocated everything it can find. I'd better be carefull next time. Thank the help guys, I really appreciate it!
Running in psplink uses the value set by psplink, not yours. Because MAX can cause trouble (especially if you're trying to make one eboot for both phat and slim), a facility was added to the heap sizing to allow you to specify how much to leave free instead of how much to allocate. Just use PSP_HEAP_SIZE_KB, but give a negative value to tell the loader how much ram to leave free. For example, PSP_HEAP_SIZE_KB(-256) tells it to leave 256 KB free and devote the rest to the application heap.