SVN "broken" for case-insensitive OSes (Windows)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Heimdall

SVN "broken" for case-insensitive OSes (Windows)

Post by Heimdall »

Hi guys, when trying to update my SVN repo locally I get an error because my OS doesn't like case sensitive file names. (No need to start a flame war on how Windows sucks and Linux is cool, there is no point there).

So, could anyone with SVN write access fix this by removing the file:

/trunk/pspirkeyb/libpspirkeyb/config/pspirkeyb.ini (rev 2283)

since it seems to be superseded by:

/trunk/pspirkeyb/libpspirkeyb/config/PSPIRKeyB.INI (rev 2441)

something like:

svn rm svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/pspirkeyb/libpspirkeyb/config/pspirkeyb.ini

Thanks!
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Code: Select all

Deleting       config/PSPIRKeyB.INI
Replacing      config/pspirkeyb.ini
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 2451.
Looks like the weirdness started at:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=76302#76302

I've removed the old one and renamed the newer file with an all lower-case name.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It's probably angelo's fault. :P :)

He kept renaming files with all kinds of funky capitalizations the whole time I was helping him with pikey. I kept complaining, especially since he didn't change anything to match the new versions. It was clear he was using Windows since case sensitivity was clearly not an issue with him. (Windows sucks and Linux is cool!) :D

That is the biggest issue with people using Windows for development - Windows is practically the only system that is case insensitive. When I started helping with Daedalus, that was the first thing I did - fix all the case problems. I periodically still have to fix case issues after some people commit changes as they again forget to keep the case the same between the filename and usage of the filename.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

Windows is not the only :) i had a bug reported to msys + mingw team a few months ago because of it and everyone was saying the same windows sucks and so on and then one of the main developers just reminded that OpenVMS also is case insensitive...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

What's fun are those OSes that are BOTH case sensitive AND insensitive, like AmigaOS. AmigaDOS is insensitive, so case doesn't matter with generic files, but the rest of the OS is, so things like library and device names must match the case exactly even though they're just files loaded through AmigaDOS. DOS was the worst part of AmigaOS... it was clearly just borrowed from elsewhere and tacked into place at the last second.
howard0su

Post by howard0su »

I made these sort of mistake several times. :(

I know cygwin has an option: strict_case=yes to do the strict case check. And there is an interesting post to say there is a build option in GCC which can enable this check:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2003 ... 00733.html

maybe this can be the best way to solve these problem when people is working together from different platforms.