PSP Development on a Win32(Specifically Vista) box

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Kreationz

PSP Development on a Win32(Specifically Vista) box

Post by Kreationz »

First I'm new to PSP development. I done work coding for windows before, but never anything thing else. I don't really like the CYGWIN idea (although I did install it as listed here:http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Getting_St ... Laboratory

What I want to do is to be able to build and work on PSP projects I've found. The first project I'm try to build is Daedalus R13 from the source at Strmnnrmn's blog.

I've downloaded the source. I usually work in Visual Studio for all the Win32 apps I've written, but I realize the Tool Chain was developed for Linux. Now Daedalus does come in the form of a solution. So I figured it would be a good place to start, plus I want to work on and help the project out. But I can't get it to build. Finally, I know my first problem is with Makefile... but that's as far as I've gotten.

Are there special environment settings I need to setup first?
Can anyone give me any suggestions/help for PSP development in a W32 enviroment?
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

I'd suggest you to use: http://minpspw.sourceforge.net/

You don't need Cygwin and the SDK is updated. Most of the common dev libraries are available as devpaks so you can install and start coding.

I also created 2 small tutorials on how to code with Visual Studio or Eclipse, however I can only help on Eclipse since is my IDE, and VS is just a small extra.

However this post is biased because I'm the maintainer of that project ;)
angelo

Post by angelo »

Is there a way to updtae directly from the svn to DevKit Pro or environments like it?

It's hard to keep up with toolchain sometimes and it'll just be easier just to type in a line to update it all?

Is there a patch or a seperate piece of software that can be found to do this?

Angelo
Kreationz

Post by Kreationz »

Thanks I'll check out your SDK and see if it can help me in my endeavors.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

angelo wrote:Is there a way to updtae directly from the svn to DevKit Pro or environments like it?

It's hard to keep up with toolchain sometimes and it'll just be easier just to type in a line to update it all?

Is there a patch or a seperate piece of software that can be found to do this?

Angelo
Not quite, in my case you need to download the new installer and install it over your previous installation making it up to date... (but is not as nice as a auto updater thinggy....)
Torch

Post by Torch »

I use Dev C++ because there is a portable version that runs of a usb drive. I just have a small app to change the env variaables and paths to cygwin according to the usb drive letter on the comp I'm using.

http://ifile.it/ma2ut1p
angelo

Post by angelo »

I've linkd DevKit Pro to Programmer's Notepad 2 allowing me to compile, edit, clean, install parts of code without the use of the bash shell. We need a bit of colour in our lives! Black and white is all too boring!

@Heimdall

So how would I go about updating EVERYTHING in my environment without having to download every single lib installer?

I can't even compile PSPWrite!

I just want to know that whatever is thrown at me to compile, I can do it...
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

I haven't made a FULL installer with all the libs, maybe it would be a nice idea for the next version, to build pspwrite (if you are in a new clean environment) you need to download:

pspsdk
zlib
sdl
libirkeyb
ogg
vorbis
sdl_mixer
freetype
sdl_ttf

(i think it is all i just had a look at the headers), I also noticed tha i am packaging sdl-config in pspsdk/bin and the makefile looks for it at pspsdk/psp/bin
angelo

Post by angelo »

Thanks Heimdall!

Maybe a FULL installer will be helpful! I can't see why people find this so hard? CYGWIN is too bulky and WAY overrated. DevKit Pro is amazing, easy as monkfish to setup and *nnneeeiiioowww* super fast!

I may do a full guide when I'm on holiday to installing the PSPDev environment.

Keep us posted!

Angelo
angelo

Post by angelo »

ZX-81 released this which should cover most homebrew applications:

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/in ... -Core.html

Hehe! Ironic eh?!
Kreationz

Post by Kreationz »

Heimdall were is you installer located? I'm working with the Devs on the new DaedalusX64 project.

P.S. Any coders looking to help out can go to DaedalusX64.com

[Edit: NVM I found it.]
angelo

Post by angelo »

Didn't a dev make a environment that had Cygwin, PSPLink, libs and an editor? I belive it was call CPS Development Studio. All I remember was that it was crap! lol

A full installer of Devkit Pro and all the PSPDev libs and includes and samples would be amazing though! A 250MB .EXE file that installs everything would be bliss! *Dreams on...*

I have my environment pretty weired up, but it isn't too easy to share it with others...

Devkit Pro with all Libs + Programmer's Notepad 2 linked to the compiler all on a portable hardrive! All I need now is an autoupdater!