NOOB NEEDS HELP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

swordfish

NOOB NEEDS HELP

Post by swordfish »

Hello im looking for an easy tutorial on how to program the PSP. i had a look at www.psp-programming.com's tutorials but where no help because cygwin wont work on my computer, so i downloaded the windows version and had a look at the documentation and it did my head in. I would appreciate any help.
kralyk

Post by kralyk »

Alright, first of all: Have you succesfully set up the enviromnet yet? - meaning have you managed to compile a Hello World exmaple yet?
sauron_le_noir

Post by sauron_le_noir »

Look at this http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity_fr ... -guid.html zx81 provided a virtual box disk (a linux distribution + gcc toolchain + sdk for psp) that can run out of the box on you windoze machine (beurk i don't like this virus 32)
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I tried to set it up but cgywin wouldnt work on my computer so i set up the pspsdk for windows and i had a look at the documentation and compiles some samples. i know how to print text to the screen but thats about it, dont know how to do any graphics or controls etc
jean

Post by jean »

right way to begin:
1) learn c/c++ if you don't know them (this could take a looooong time); start from something easy as Visual c++ express (free, easy to setup, full of examples on the net)
2) install latest heimdall's win32 pspsdk on your win32 machine (use search for "heimdall win32 pspsdk")
3) compile EACH sample and try to modify details
4) learn about PSP architecture (i'm going to publish a pretty little doc on this)
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I already know c, and i will have another look at the samples again in more detail. thanks for the advice
Gh0st-UPMS

Post by Gh0st-UPMS »

If you have Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition, you could always try that and use this for installing the toolchain.