Truth about UMD

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Klendathu

Truth about UMD

Post by Klendathu »

Found out today.

UMD can have two layers.
data density is equal to DVD, no wonder since same laser wavelenghth is in use. but since an UMD is smaller only 1,8 GB will fit onto it [do your own math]
Encryption is 128-Bit-AES-Key. [so for the Memory stick it's probably the same]
You can license UMD to USE in your own device. e.g Creative Zen UMD Portable Video Player (Pure phantasy for illustration purposes)

this moves backups from the realm of the impossible more to the realm of lik-sang proprietary hardware.

but don't get too cocky yet. 128-Bit-AES Keys are absolutely brute force resistant, so this has to leak.

Re: Truth about UMD

Post by Guest »

Klendathu wrote: this moves backups from the realm of the impossible more to the realm of lik-sang proprietary hardware.

but don't get too cocky yet. 128-Bit-AES Keys are absolutely brute force resistant, so this has to leak.
Why would we even care about the ability to do "backups" ?
Or even care about getting at the data on a UMD disk ?

Are there any dev advantages for either at this stage ? Certainly, backups have no advantage for anything other than warez, so thats a non-issue as far as dev.

There is no possibility to make our own UMD disks at this point, although the data on some disks could be useful for reversing in the cause of dev.
Klendathu

Post by Klendathu »

any console able to run backups, whatever you might think of them, is wide open for homebrew.
I don't want to see the PSP be turned into a Chinese bootleg machine, but the technology and money involved will make it attractive.
and somewhere along this line is the entry point for executing unsigned code.

As little as we like warez, we have to admit there is a possibility that organized piracy will show the way to executing code.

although I rather preferred some home developing kit like there was for PS One.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Klendathu wrote: this moves backups from the realm of the impossible more to the realm of lik-sang proprietary hardware.
Ignoring how incorrect this is, we don't care about "backups" here. Piracy is bad mmkay.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
weak

Post by weak »

gorim wrote: Why would we even care about the ability to do "backups" ?
Or even care about getting at the data on a UMD disk ?

Are there any dev advantages for either at this stage ? Certainly, backups have no advantage for anything other than warez, so thats a non-issue as far as dev.
longer battery life would be a perfect reason for a legal backup running from memory stick. don't get me wrong, i don't want to argue pro warez, i just want to point out that it ain't that easy to draw the line.

edit:
let me add that examinig the data of a umd (game) would be of course interesting for any developer. (at least i'd like to see it)
pixel

Post by pixel »

Yes, but, we don't even want to talk a single bit about 'backups' here. The rule of thumb here is that we don't believe that any 'user-backup' should be needed in any occasion. Don't even bother arguing.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Moral issues aside, this is a dev site, not a backup site.

I'm afraid the dogs of war lept into action when you mentioned the word 'backup'. :)

Post by Guest »

ooPo wrote: I'm afraid the dogs of war lept into action when you mentioned the word 'backup'. :)
*Putting on his Eddie Murphy "donkey" voice*

Did you hear that ? He called me a dog of war... !

*aw shucks voice/look*

Post by Guest »

weak wrote: longer battery life would be a perfect reason for a legal backup running from memory stick. don't get me wrong, i don't want to argue pro warez, i just want to point out that it ain't that easy to draw the line.
Au contraire,

It is the developers responsibility to balance game play vs. battery life. Thus there is no justification for needing to place a UMD image onto memory stick.

If you are worried about battery life, bring an extra battery, or bring your AC adapter with you.

In any event, that isn't a dev issue. Even on the PS2, the ability to play backups has no bearing on dev. It is quite simple to do dev already without even needing modchips.

See ? Its quite easy to draw the line. As Pixel said, don't even argue it here. :)
Klendathu

Post by Klendathu »

If you are worried about battery life you should examine your gaming behaviour first.

but let's cut that zynic crap and get to the point, either sony asists in the dev community or it wil get ugly trying to get code running on this thing. It's not just the UMD issues here, there is also major memory and executable protection. this was NOT MADE for stopping developers but it IS IN THE WAY.
whether Pirats or honest developers are faster in executing code, you should all have no doubt that one will open the door for the other.
If that's a problem then close the whole forum.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Klendathu wrote:If that's a problem then close the whole forum.
I'd rather IP ban ranting users with no useful information first. Klendathu if you have any sense, you would realize that we don't discuss "backups" or other forms of piracy here, whether it was useful for development or not. But hrm, I'm like the 4th person now to chime in with that. This is getting tiresome. Find another dead horse to beat on - you know, like that other UMD thread?

Locked.
"He was warned..."