problem compiling psptoolchain (unrecognized option `-Qy')

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

flynnt

problem compiling psptoolchain (unrecognized option `-Qy')

Post by flynnt »

Hi,

I did a checkout of the toolchain with

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/psptoolchain

set my PSPDEV env variable to /usr/local/pspdev and setup my path.
I did a ./toolchain.sh

it grabbed and unpacked the binutils and gcc...and it fails while building with the following message:

gcc -c -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wno-variadic-macros -Wold-style-definition -Wmissing-format-attribute -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../gcc -I../../gcc/. -I../../gcc/../include -I../../gcc/../libcpp/include ../../gcc/pointer-set.c -o pointer-set.o
/usr/local/pspdev/bin/psp-as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
make[2]: *** [pointer-set.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/flynnt/trees/psptoolchain/build/gcc-4.1.0/build-psp/gcc'
make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/flynnt/trees/psptoolchain/build/gcc-4.1.0/build-psp'
make: *** [all] Error 2
../scripts/002-gcc-4.1.0-stage1.sh: Failed.
[root@localhost psptoolchain]#

anyone know what's wrong?
flynnt

Post by flynnt »

ok, i think i understand what the problem is, but am not quite sure the best way to fix it...

The problem is that I did a 'yum update all' a little while back and now my gcc version is 4.1.1 and my binutils is 2.16.91. The psp binutils is 2.16.1.

I tried hacking as.c in gas/ to take and ignore "-Qy' (since according to the 'as --help' of my binutils, it just ignores -Qy anyway) and got a bunch of other assembler errors complaining about unrecognized opcodes.

I tried using binutils-2.17 for the psp, but the psp patch fails.

I'm not quite sure how to downgrade my compiler back from 4.1.1 to 4.1.0. I think that's the only thing I haven't tried.
Dark_Sabre

Post by Dark_Sabre »

My best idea is reinstall reinstall reinstall. thats what got psptoolchain going for me... as well as pirata nervo's cygwin install tut.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Dark_Sabre wrote:My best idea is reinstall reinstall reinstall. thats what got psptoolchain going for me... as well as pirata nervo's cygwin install tut.
He's clearly using linux. Notice the "yum update all"? That's a redhat-derived distro - maybe Mandriva. Lot's of folks report being unable to use the toolchain in Mandriva.

@flynnt - the gcc in linux doesn't matter that much. 4.0 - 4.1 - 4.2 - 4.3... any of them can be used to build the toolchain. Where you see the most trouble with the toolchain is the automake/autoconf version. Every new update to that package seems to break the toolchain. Don't bother reverting EVERYTHING, just go back to an older version of autoconf and maybe automake.
treehunter

The Fix (i think)

Post by treehunter »

I've been having similar issues, just switching automake to 2.61 and autoconf to 1.9 you're set.
flynnt

Post by flynnt »

ah, those version numbers are critical. I'll have to give that a try when I get back home. Thanks!