dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:you should be able to compile dosbox for the slim, no worries just change the makefile around to support 3.71 kernel
I takes more than just changing the makefile to make homebrew work on 3.xx/Slim.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:you should be able to compile dosbox for the slim, no worries just change the makefile around to support 3.71 kernel
I takes more than just changing the makefile to make homebrew work on 3.xx/Slim.
That leaves me clueless then :P
DookFook

Post by DookFook »

My psp has been through a lot, I've had it for some time now and its spent many hours in my pocket. All this wear and tear has left my PSP's analog stick in shambles. it defaults to moving down and right, and input further messed it up. So I was wondering if either:
a) I can download/create a prx that will change dpad inputs into analog stick input.
b) edit somewhere is dosbox's config so I can change the default mouse input to the dpad instead of the analog stick.

Solution a is preferred since many other games wont work for me.

Thanks for any help.
roylazarovich

Post by roylazarovich »

I'm interested in a Slim compatible version as well.

The 3.60 release's readme says:
Included with the release is the M33 sdk for programmers.
I'm not a programmer so I can't be sure this would help, but it's something I guess...

Also, the new 3.71 release has an example on how to use the extra memory, from the readme:
Included is a sample that uses the 32 MB of extra ram of the psp slim.
Looks like exciting times are ahead for the PSP Slim & Lite.

Links:

3.60 M33
3.71 M33
Wally

Post by Wally »

DookFook wrote:My psp has been through a lot, I've had it for some time now and its spent many hours in my pocket. All this wear and tear has left my PSP's analog stick in shambles. it defaults to moving down and right, and input further messed it up. So I was wondering if either:
a) I can download/create a prx that will change dpad inputs into analog stick input.

Thanks for any help.
you could try using Raphaels Joystick Calibration tool called Joysense
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:
That leaves me clueless then :P
Well, as long as a program doesn't do anything that REQUIRES kernel mode, it's easy enough to make it 3.xx/Slim compatible. It's more than changing the makefile, but less than rewriting the app. For example, PMPlayer Advance had ONE single thing that required kernel mode - setting the audio playback sample rate. That was moved into an external prx, and the rest of the app was then run in user mode. Instant 3.xx/Slim compatibility. So dosbox COULD possibly be a simple conversion. I guess I ought to check the diff file to see how it runs. It could just be a few simple changes.
DookFook

Post by DookFook »

Wally4000, I already have joysens.prx. however, with this plugin running dosbox doesn't receive any mouse input
Wally

Post by Wally »

DookFook wrote:Wally4000, I already have joysens.prx. however, with this plugin running dosbox doesn't receive any mouse input
so what happens instead??
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Wally4000 wrote:
DookFook wrote:Wally4000, I already have joysens.prx. however, with this plugin running dosbox doesn't receive any mouse input
so what happens instead??
Sorry folks, but isn't this a little off topic? THe problem doesn'T seem to be Dosbox ... and the answer to the question whether it'S possible to get the arros doing the mouse movement is most likely NO :( sorry, but until CrazyC says sth. else I don't think so.

a prx which "switches" the inputs does simply not exist. So you either repair ur psp, buy a new one or you don'T use DosBox ... :( I'm sorry for u that ur PSP is wrecked, but this does not belong into this topic ...
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Ups, CrazyC. I tried different machines like tandy, cga or pcjr with command keen 4 and i get this error:
Exit to error: CacheBlock overrun 2 written 4300 size 4124
Is vga the only machine that runs in psp dosbox?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

aTomIC wrote:Ups, CrazyC. I tried different machines like tandy, cga or pcjr with command keen 4 and i get this error:
Exit to error: CacheBlock overrun 2 written 4300 size 4124
Is vga the only machine that runs in psp dosbox?
This error means a recompiled code block overran it's buffer into the next one. There are two possible fixes, both of which may negatively effect performance.
could you give me an example of what this line would look like. I have tried using the line shown in the forums, however I recieve "the image must be on a host or local drive", I have tried playing with the context a bit, but can't seem to get it, an example of a working line would be awsome
What is the exact, in bytes, size of your memstick?
b) edit somewhere is dosbox's config so I can change the default mouse input to the dpad instead of the analog stick.
This would limit the number of buttons way too much.
sersoft

Post by sersoft »

OK I got windows 3.11 to run on the psp, it runs all the programs except Write, but I can use notepad, anyway I was wondering how do I install sound drivers?(what card does dosbox use?) Also is it possible to run windows at 480x272? cuz it's getting hard to read the shrinked 640x480...

edit: yay I got sound to work, couldn't find the right ports at first...

Anyway what can I do about the resolution?
PSP FW History: (I bought a used psp with CFW) - 3.40OE-A - 3.52 M33-4
:P
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

nothing, all dos video modes will be fit to 480x272.
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

Crazy C, are you the main programmer of DOSBox for PSP? And do you have a website/homepage for DOSBox for PSP?

Also, I been trying your releases but couldn't understand how to get DOSBox for PSP to work. Your latest releases are basically zip/rar files of the filename dosbox. No extension or readme files. Please expand more and release a better user-friendlier release.
fourmyfriends

can't get it to work hugh?

Post by fourmyfriends »

read back just the last two pages and I'm sure you will find that members have made this as painless as possible, just go up a page or so, and you a complete file download with instructions and everything,
please read atleast a couple pages before asking those kinda questions
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

andrewwan1980 wrote:Crazy C, are you the main programmer of DOSBox for PSP? And do you have a website/homepage for DOSBox for PSP?

Also, I been trying your releases but couldn't understand how to get DOSBox for PSP to work. Your latest releases are basically zip/rar files of the filename dosbox. No extension or readme files. Please expand more and release a better user-friendlier release.
The file dosbox (no extention) is a .elf file, so add the .elf extension (rename to dosbox.elf) and use the elf2pbp program to convert it to a .pbp file and rename to eboot.pbp, and put it into a folder with the dosbox.conf file and put that folder in your GAME/GAME150 folder on your memstick.
twonth

page fault

Post by twonth »

I've been running Maple V release 3 with the PSP version of DOSBOX for a while now.

It mostly works great, so I was surprised last night that it crashed while trying to evaluate zeta(1/2):
"Abnormal program termination. Page fault.
CS: EIP = 000Fh:000516F6h".

I've tried messing with the DOSBOX.CONF settings (changing around the memory options, and setting the CPU core to normal), but I always get a page fault error. The same computation runs fine if I run MAPLE through DOSBOX on my PC (with similar DOSBOX.CONF settings).

Anyone have a possible workaround for a problem like this? Thanks, Paul.
crazyc

Re: page fault

Post by crazyc »

twonth wrote:"Abnormal program termination. Page fault.
CS: EIP = 000Fh:000516F6h".
I can only guess, but the zeta function is probably calculated with a lookup table and precision problems or an incorrect opcode implementation in the x87 emulator may cause the table to be overrun or underrun. If you can look at the fpu_instructions_vfpu.h file in the patch to see if there are any problems.
twonth

page fault

Post by twonth »

Thanks for the diagnosis, crazyc. It's too bad that I'm not qualified to detect any problems in the fpu_instructions_vfpu.h file. Sadly, Maple has more problems than I thought; asking Maple to numerically evaluate the Lambert W function or the digamma function Psi brings up the exact same message: "Abnormal program termination. Page fault. CS: EIP = 000Fh:000516F6h". <shrugs> At least Maple's symbolic integration routines still seem to work fine (and are quite the party trick).

BTW, thanks again for all your hard work on DOSBOX. It is much appreciated! Best, Paul
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

Hello Crazyc
First, I want to thank you for your great work !
I'm taking a lot of fun with your program.

I just want to inform you and the community about my psp dosbox activities and issues.
All softwares / games was tested and are fully working on x86 Dosbos 0.72.

- Windows 3.11 works great ! (Imgmount is great)

- Applications under Win 3.11 are slow but works ! (blockdev and pagefile lines in system.ini was removed, else got errors dialog box on applications launch)

- Msdos cards games works

- Elder Scrolls Arena, I have errors : "exit to error: CacheBlock overrun 2 written 4300 size 4144".
Curiously, it was slowly working on an older pspdosbox release (0.60mod build May 31 2007)

- Discworld 1 is working, so many thanks !!!
Sound are working at the start of the game, but ingame sound (midi & bgm) disappears.

- Discworld 2 at launch shows me this error message :
DosBox build Sep 22 2007 13:15:12
Exception - Bus error (data)
EPC - 088E97AO
Cause - 1000001C
Status - 60008613
BadVAdrdr - 00000000

Next game : Daggerfall (Everybody has a dream ^^)

Then I have some tiny configurations problems.
Keybinding, it does not working for me, are theses lines correct ? :
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP triangle esc
INPUTMAP square f1
INPUTMAP cross space
INPUTMAP circle enter
And a latest thing, I can't write in numeric, "down + LTrigger + X" seems not working for me. I've tested all possibilies during 15min... O_o', no way to have a single number.

Please continue your marvelous work !
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

First bug: INPUTMAP exec doom2
This line only works if doom2 is an exe and not another batch file. (haven't tried using CALL command). If the exe expects parameters then this line will not work properly. I am trying to run Jack In the Dark and it requires two arguments otherwise the game won't run. The original Jack.bat file is:
----
@echo off
indark2 16 1
cleardrv >NUL
----
So I tried "INPUTMAP exec indark2 16 1" (with the INPUTMAP keys setup before this line) and it doesn't load. Anyone know how to get around this?

Regarding crazyc's dosbox.conf I notice memsize=5 (instead of default 16). Is 5MB the max we can get on fat PSP? Can this be increased to 16MB on slim PSP?

Is it ok to change core=auto (default) instead of your dynamic setting? Also, cycles=sync is new to me. Is it possible to set this to max? Reason why is because I found core=auto & cycles=max settings are the best for original DOSBox to run heavy games like Blood, etc. Was wondering whether we can push PSPDOSBox this way too.

PS: Is the emunews24.de dosbox 2007/09/24 hosted zip the latest? Looks a bit different from crazyc's hosted dosbox.conf file (with additional mincycles, etc.)

PSS: Also, crazyc, do you have the patch/diff file for dosbox 0.60?

PSSS: Want to say that oldskool coder demos run on pspDOSBox. I can run Valhalla's Solstice, Fluid Motion, Robotnik, Ninja2, Juice, Ambience... but jerky though....
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

0.71 Build 24.9.2007 is the latest compiled version of PSP Dosbox. You can set the ram to max. 10 mb. I added the new commands to the dosbox.conf, but you can use the "normal" dosbox.conf by CrazyC at this forum.

@INPUTMAP exec doom2
it works with .com files, too. BAT is ony a batch file and no execute file, so exec myfile.bat won't work.
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

Thanks andrewwan1980, with your post you show me my error.
I was forgotten "INPUTMAP exec xxx", so it's was logical.... without launching the program with inputmap it can't work... =)

Thank aTomIC for showing me the latest build.... I've just downloaded it.
In reality it's the same build, Sept 22 2007.

It seems that Discworld 1 works with BGM sounds ingame (no MIDI), it's almost perfect. I don't understand it's the same build... ^^'

Let's try another games :
- Dungeon Keeper 1, error at loading : ""incorrect command 1"
- Daggerfall : Big big loading but IT WORKS !!!!!! (Awesome)
It's very slow (Like Arena on Psp Dosbox 0.60) but it's the beggining of emulation, is my dream will become true ?
Last edited by vaporize on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

vaporize wrote: - Elder Scrolls Arena, I have errors : "exit to error: CacheBlock overrun 2 written 4300 size 4144".
Curiously, it was slowly working on an older pspdosbox release (0.60mod build May 31 2007)
As I said above about this error, there are two possible fixes, both of which may negatively effect performance.
vaporize wrote: - Discworld 2 at launch shows me this error message :
DosBox build Sep 22 2007 13:15:12
Exception - Bus error (data)
EPC - 088E97AO
Cause - 1000001C
Status - 60008613
BadVAdrdr - 00000000
Could you post the full output from the latest build?
So I tried "INPUTMAP exec indark2 16 1" (with the INPUTMAP keys setup before this line) and it doesn't load. Anyone know how to get around this?
I'll look at this, but until then you can use the button combo to change the mode.
Is it ok to change core=auto (default) instead of your dynamic setting? Also, cycles=sync is new to me. Is it possible to set this to max? Reason why is because I found core=auto & cycles=max settings are the best for original DOSBox to run heavy games like Blood, etc. Was wondering whether we can push PSPDOSBox this way too.
Auto and max work just as in pc dosbox, if they work better use them. Sync tries to synchronize the cycles to the psp vsync.
PSS: Also, crazyc, do you have the patch/diff file for dosbox 0.60?
Yes , but out of curiosity, what do you want to do with it. dosbox-60.patch.gz
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

crazyc wrote:Could you post the full output from the latest build?
Sure, I've taken a photo (screenshot.prx does not work)
It's a little blurry, but readable.

W00fer

Post by W00fer »

I got Grand Theft Auto 1, and controls aren't working with INPUTMAP.
Also i got this BUS error.

Anybody got a fix ? It's also running REALLY slow.

vaporize

Post by vaporize »

W00fer your screenshot seems perfect.
How do you have taken it ? (Personnaly I'm taking photo with my camera.. : /)

Else I've tested others games :

- Dungeon Master 1 : Game is fully working, fast with sound, but there is one problem, if I use inputmap the game restart at the beggining.
Without inputmap it works perfectly but playing Dungeon master Psp with only analog stick.... it will be very hard : /
- Dungeon Master 2 : The first logo appears, then another Bus error :
- Dungeon Keeper : Error message after Dos/4GW Runtime loaded : "ERROR : Incorrect command : 1"
- Civilization : Slow but works, playable
- Colonization : Freeze after the intro
- Heroes of Might & Magic : A Little slow but fully working, playable
- King's Quest 5 : Slow but works
- Leisure Suit Larry 5 : Slow but works
- Leisure Suit Larry 7 : Slow and can't go after the introduction (when Larry fall of the balcony), curiously Dosbox is working, it's the game which has freeze.
- Populous 2 : Fast and fully working, Playable
- Space Quest 5 : Slow but works
- Ultima 8 : Not starting, it requires FILES=40 in config.sys, and it tells me that we have currently FILES=14. Anyway Dosbox does not have a Config.sys
- Ultima Underworld : A little slow but fully working. If you're reducing level detail to medium it's perfectly playable !
- Ultima Underworld 2 : Same than Ultima Underworld
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

vaporize wrote: - Dungeon Master 1 : Game is fully working, fast with sound, but there is one problem, if I use inputmap the game restart at the beggining.
Without inputmap it works perfectly but playing Dungeon master Psp with only analog stick.... it will be very hard : /
What do you mean by "restart at the beginning"?
vaporize wrote: - Dungeon Master 2 : The first logo appears, then another Bus error :
This, GTA1 in Woofer's post, and Discworld2 at crashed in the same function, I'll look at it when I can.
vaporize wrote:- Dungeon Keeper : Error message after Dos/4GW Runtime loaded : "ERROR : Incorrect command : 1"
Try using dos32a.
vaporize wrote:- Ultima 8 : Not starting, it requires FILES=40 in config.sys, and it tells me that we have currently FILES=14. Anyway Dosbox does not have a Config.sys
This is probably the memory stick open files problem, use imgmount.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Folks, come on!

Half the questions you are asking have already been answered at least 4 times here in the forum ...

Take ur time to read through it, as others have done before you! I even spend some hours and made a rudimentary manual for DosBox PLUS I compiled DosBox, added stuff for you to make it easy to use, etc. ... I don't even expect any1 to appreciate that, but at least show respect by READING the thread b4 spamming it with du... not dumb, but unnecessary questions, THANK YOU!

again: link to manual and latest DosBox ... if there's a password, then it is "Murdock", I can'T remember atm ...

A new version of the manual is following within the next few days. Maybe Crazy, can u add it to the first post of yours, in which you are updating your releases? I think it MIGHT prevent further repetitions ... if u agree to add it, I'll send you the PDF in a PM ...
vaporize

Post by vaporize »

crazyc wrote:What do you mean by "restart at the beginning"?
I mean that the game reboot.
If I launch dm.exe it works great
If I launch inputmap exec dm, the game goes to the main menu, then restart.
crazyc wrote:Try using dos32a.
It works ! Thanks
crazyc wrote:This is probably the memory stick open files problem, use imgmount.
I can't use imgmount, the game does not require cd, it requires only main directory. Do you mean creating an .img file (with bximage) containing a virtual hdd then install the game on ? (Like for Windows 3.11)

@Murdock :
I've read the entire thread, english is not my natal language, I do my best. I think I'm not asking too much dumb questions, I'm reporting my experiences with CrazyC program and several Applications.
Dumbs questions I've asked are about the keyboard (Down + LTrigger + X to have Numerical does not work for me) and how to make a screenshot, sorry but I have not found any answer to these questions.
And yes please, send me your faq/manual =)