dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:after basilisk 2 right :P
:)

I've got too many things going on right now. At least the Targus should be quick and simple and done and out of the way.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but Im Back!, you've just copied n pasted the entire DosBox.conf sectiom of your "tutorial" from the file, right? ehm ... that doesn't contribute in any way to actually understanding what these things mean to a person who has never dealt with DosBox ... furthermore, you've copied the DosBox.conf of your PC version ... there are functions listed which aren'T actually in the DosBox.conf file crazyC. I am not quite sure about that point, but at least it's not the file CrazyC offers for download, which you are "explaining".

Your "installing windows" topic could e a "little" more detailed. I mean you just leave out some steps of installation because they are familiar to you. But a "noob" (I actually hate this word ... kids call others like that rediculous!) or let's say inexperienced person will supposedly never understand that.

Oh, and another thing ... check your spelling b4 u publish sth. Don't u have Office? :) let it do a spell check ;)

And another thing: Why don't we take our manuals together? It's just dumb doing two seperate things! double the work with less of a result. Maybe you can redo your Windows Installation maual and I'll add it to the PDF file? how about that? Giving credit 2 u of course. I can even add an e-mail adress of you or website, whatever you like.

Greetings!

Howling Mad Murdock
Wally

Post by Wally »

Here's a quick clean up of Im Back's Tutorial

Like Murdock said, the dosbox.conf file shouldnt need to be all pasted, just bits that the people know about.

Anyway I have decided to link it off site to keep the post neat.

www.spiffup.org/Dosbox.txt
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

Wally4000 wrote:Here's a quick clean up of Im Back's Tutorial

Like Murdock said, the dosbox.conf file shouldnt need to be all pasted, just bits that the people know about.

Anyway I have decided to link it off site to keep the post neat.

www.spiffup.org/Dosbox.txt
thanks! ill update the original post.

EDIT: you removed my rants about hating windows! :)
EDIT2 I edited some of your edits (nothing major, and i refined my own stuff to) if you would please update your up lode or remove it. (i wont scream at you for not updating or removing but i would like there to be only one readme so people dont get confuse about wish one of them is newest)
sorry for spelling!
Wally

Post by Wally »

You probably have screwed it up again -_-

I was going to add my little keyboard model but yeah I cant find it
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

Wally4000 wrote:You probably have screwed it up again -_-
no i didnt i just removed the sections that were there 2 times and corrected you were you were wrong. i did this kinda quickly so look at my work and edit out my errors before you copy.
sorry for spelling!
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

I don't know if any1 cares, but this is my latest pdf manual for DosBox. I added a simple "contents" section at the beginning and linked the main titles to the chapters.

Makes browsing throught the file a little easier :)

Advantages of THIS release:

- I tried to explain as explicit as possible
- Pictures added to illustrate what I'm explaining (rookie friendly ;) )
- easy browsing through the sections
- other minor advantages ... but just my opinion.

I hope you like it. I also added DosBox and all the tools, so this is an AIO (all-in-one) rar-archive, including:

1. The manual 1.2, newest version
2. DosBox 10th of september release, compiled
3. DosNavigator added for easy browsing through the DOS files you've copied into x:\DosBox (see manual for further instructions)
4. elf2pbp3, compiler for elf files, including the latest release in elf format (for practicing)

here's the file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/56706485/Do ... x_0.71.rar

no pass needed to extract, read, etc.

Have fun with it :)

[EDIT] I inserted te wrong dosbox.conf file. Only one line was missing, but this line was the one activating keyhint. So I uploaded the package again, this time with the correct bosbox.conf file.
Last edited by Murdock on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mypspdev

Post by mypspdev »

Murdock wrote:I don't know if any1 cares....
Thanks a lot for your job.
Thanks to all here around PSP_Dosbox.
Old software not only games aren't lost in our pockets...
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hey Crazy, sorry for disturbing you, but how is it going?
All quiet on the western front? :D

I was just wondering whether u are working on a new release or you've taken a break :)

come on master, inform your fans about what you are doing atm ... ;)
fourmyfriends

just a thought

Post by fourmyfriends »

Is there anyway that the psp could use the memory stick like a paging file? don't know, just a though
Murdock

Re: just a thought

Post by Murdock »

fourmyfriends wrote:Is there anyway that the psp could use the memory stick like a paging file? don't know, just a though
I think this'd be senseless ... atm, the problem is not the RAM (I understand what your saying like you want to expand the RAm by using the page file, ay?), but the CPU speed. We can have a max of 10 MB. But we can hardly play games which need more than 33 MHz ... so w/o the emulator being faster, more ram is useless.

Moreover, "virtual memory" will always be much slower then the real RAM. I don't know whether this is important, since the "speed" of the emulator is not THAT fast ...
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:Hey Crazy, sorry for disturbing you, but how is it going?
All quiet on the western front? :D

I was just wondering whether u are working on a new release or you've taken a break :)

come on master, inform your fans about what you are doing atm ... ;)
I haven't been able to work on it for a while. Keep posting bug reports and I'll get to them when I get a chance.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:I haven't been able to work on it for a while. Keep posting bug reports and I'll get to them when I get a chance.

All right ... :)

I think it's already been mentioned, but it's been a while ago, but I'm not sure, maybe it even hasn't been mentioned yet:

Sometimes, DosBox seems to be hanging or to get stuck concerning the keys. I mean when I play a game and I quit it again, I get back to Dos Commander. But Dos Commander starts the game again right when I get back to it. As soon as I've quitted the game again, it gets started again and so on! I figured out that it sometimes stops when I hit SELECT or START two or three times, which are mapped to ENTER and ESC ...

THis also happens when I switch from p-sprint to mapped keys and back during playing. then the game acts strange, especially in main menus when you can hit ESC and a question box appears asking whether you really wanan quit. This box opens and closes rapidly then. It's as if you were sitting in front of the computer and the ESC key of your keyboard is stuck. You get my point?

This is really annoying sometimes, since a game keeps starting over and over again and similar things ... :(

I hope you got me, I tried to explain it as best and picturesque as possible. :)

Do u know this problem? Or anyone else here?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hey CrazyC ...

I tried to get a game working for s/o and I'm kinda stuck:

1. How do I map multiple keys to one PSP button, e.g. CTRL + Q

2. How do I map the funtion keys, like F1 - F12

3. How can I map the shoulder buttons of the PSP ... I know they are ment as mouse buttons, but anyway, isn't it possible to map them with keyboard keys? If it is, what's the command for them .. I mean how do I adress them? lshoulder and rshoulder didn't work :(

Thx in advance!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:1. How do I map multiple keys to one PSP button, e.g. CTRL + Q
You can't for the moment.
Murdock wrote:2. How do I map the funtion keys, like F1 - F12
inputmap <button> f(1-12)
Murdock wrote:3. How can I map the shoulder buttons of the PSP ... I know they are ment as mouse buttons, but anyway, isn't it possible to map them with keyboard keys? If it is, what's the command for them .. I mean how do I adress them? lshoulder and rshoulder didn't work :(
ltrigger and rtrigger
THis also happens when I switch from p-sprint to mapped keys and back during playing. then the game acts strange, especially in main menus when you can hit ESC and a question box appears asking whether you really wanan quit. This box opens and closes rapidly then. It's as if you were sitting in front of the computer and the ESC key of your keyboard is stuck. You get my point?
I believe I have a fix for this, the other problem I'm not so sure about.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Thx a lot CrazyC :)

I've figured out my error with the function keys already before u replied ... I wrote F1 in the bat file, instead of f1 ... dumb, I know ... but I wasn't aware this makes a difference :)

I already tried ltrigger and rtrigger .. it didn't work ... now it does :) maybe I also used capital letters ... thx again!

No key combos can be mapped to one PSp button? oh, what a pitty :( I thought s/o wrote it's possible. Anyway, that's not that important I suppose.

Thank you very much for everything! I hope we'll see another release in the near future :) I'll visit this site every day in the hope I'll find you having updated the release ;)

Greetings,

Howling Mad Murdock
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I've put up a new patch and binary that hopefully will fix your problem with switching modes. Also, you can now mount your memory stick as an hdd image to work around the psp fat driver limitation. Be very careful! For now don't try it with a memory stick who's contents you care about! Try not to remove the memory stick without unmounting it first. Do not insert another memory stick without unmounting the previous one! Do not mount the memory stick as an image and as an regular mount at the same time as there is a good chance you will corrupt it! Mount it using "imgmount <letter> msstor0: -t hdd -fs fat -size <parameters>". Win311 works with this if you comment out the blockdev and pagefile devices in system.ini.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:I've put up a new patch and binary that hopefully will fix your problem with switching modes.

a new release ... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;)

I was hungering for a new one :)

okay, I'll test it within the next few days. But I doubt I am going to test this new mount function, since I care alot about my memsticks ;)

Unfortunately, I am not using Win 3.11 on the PSP. Maybe I'll try that, too in the upcoming days. We'll see and I'll leave you a reply at least about the switching problem today or maybe tomorrow.

Greetings!
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

I compiled the new binary and uploaded it to
http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257

Its tested and works well :)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

But I doubt I am going to test this new mount function, since I care alot about my memsticks ;)
Just to be clear before there is a misunderstanding, the memory sticks will be fine, you may just lose the contents.
fourmyfriends

mounting the memory stick

Post by fourmyfriends »

having trouble with the context of mounting the memory stick,
say I wanted my 1gig memorystick mounted as drive E,
could you give me an example of what this line would look like. I have tried using the line shown in the forums, however I recieve "the image must be on a host or local drive", I have tried playing with the context a bit, but can't seem to get it, an example of a working line would be awsome
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:Just to be clear before there is a misunderstanding, the memory sticks will be fine, you may just lose the contents.
Yeah, I understand that :) I just expressed myself oncorrectly. I meant that I care about the contents of my Memstick :) and it takes kinda long to copy 4 GB from and to memstick again :)
I compiled the new binary and uploaded it to
http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257
How about testing a release before you compile a ready-2-use version to see whether some bugs r fixed? :)

Anyway, as far as I could seen the error during switching the input methods is fixed. Very nice work! Now we just need a little speed improvement ;) hahahha just kidding :) I know that it's not that easy! Keep going crazyc!

Oh, and here my AIO version of DosBox, release 23rd of September:

http://rapidshare.com/files/57854536/Do ... al_1.2.rar

Included in this Pack:

- Latest release (Sept. 23, 2007)
- Dos Navigator
- dosbox.conf with keyhint activated, 10 MB RAM, etc.
- Latest version of the manual for DosBox, still not done yet, but a good tutorial ;)
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Murdock wrote:How about testing a release before you compile a ready-2-use version to see whether some bugs r fixed? :)
I compiled this release and tested it on my psp with some games. So, it works well on my psp.

PS.:
great work on your AIO ;)
piposh

Post by piposh »

Hi Guys.

I've been away from this topic for a while and wanted to ask if Dosbox already supports the PSP Slim? and is it able to utilize the extra 32 MB of RAM?

My decision to go for the Slim was pretty much for the extra juice DosBox can squeeze out of its added RAM, so as soon as I've heared it was hacked I went ahead and ordered one.
narrus

Post by narrus »

Dunno. I think that currently the Slim only supports user mode level homebrew (though I haven't looked into too hard in the last week or so). Not sure if DosBox needs kernel mode or not.

Easy way is to try it and see.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

piposh wrote:Hi Guys.

I've been away from this topic for a while and wanted to ask if Dosbox already supports the PSP Slim? and is it able to utilize the extra 32 MB of RAM?

My decision to go for the Slim was pretty much for the extra juice DosBox can squeeze out of its added RAM, so as soon as I've heared it was hacked I went ahead and ordered one.
I am no expert considering the PSP Slim, but DosBox for shure needs the 1.5 kernel. I've read somewhere that there's a loader which can load SOME homebrew which needs 1.5 kernel, but not all. I also read that M33/Dark Alex is working on a patch to enable 1.5 kernel for all Slims with M33 CFW.

So jus tstay tuned untill this gets released. Until then, DosBox is unable to run on Slim, I think.

BUt 32 MB more RAm are useless! We need more speed b4 we can use more RAM efficiently. But since the CPu of the Slim isn't superior to the old PSP, you can forget that.
piposh

Post by piposh »

The 1.5 kernel patch is only for the Phat PSP if I recall correctly, it's needed for the Phat PSP since firmware 3.60+ no longer has the 1.5 kernel.

I'm not a dev, but from what I understand, each software has to be compiled to use the 3.60 kernel instead of the 1.50 kernel, several homebrew apps have already been compiled and run on the Slim.

M33 have included an SDK in their release that devs can use to make their software Slim compatible, and I think they also have instructions on how to utilize the extra RAM.

Ofcourse I'm not demanding anything, but I'd be very happy if CrazyC will compile a Slim compatible version somewhere along the line.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Murdock wrote:I am no expert considering the PSP Slim, but DosBox for shure needs the 1.5 kernel. I've read somewhere that there's a loader which can load SOME homebrew which needs 1.5 kernel, but not all. I also read that M33/Dark Alex is working on a patch to enable 1.5 kernel for all Slims with M33 CFW.

So jus tstay tuned untill this gets released. Until then, DosBox is unable to run on Slim, I think.

BUt 32 MB more RAm are useless! We need more speed b4 we can use more RAM efficiently. But since the CPu of the Slim isn't superior to the old PSP, you can forget that.
The patch is only for PSP fat users with the new OE firmware M33 3.71 not for slim.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

aTomIC wrote: The patch is only for PSP fat users with the new OE firmware M33 3.71 not for slim.
Not for slim? hmm, but they wanted to release a patch to enable kernel 1.5 apps on Slim, didn't they?

Anyway, then u guys will have 2 wait. But I think there's gonna be sth. out there for you Slim buyers, too ;)
Wally

Post by Wally »

you should be able to compile dosbox for the slim, no worries just change the makefile around to support 3.71 kernel