What's the fastest way to jump in to PSP dev?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

modman

Post by modman »

Step by step instructions for Linux and Cygwin.

http://staff.philau.edu/barberej/psp_dev_guide.htm

Thanks to everyone on Freenode's #pspdev who put up with my questions.
SCPH-50001/N
HD SCPH-20401 U
Eyetoy SLEH-00031
Network Adaptor SCPH-10281
Logitech Z680 via FIber w00t!
Sony Wega TV + USB Keyboard
http://staff.philau.edu/barberej/
lynx44

Post by lynx44 »

I'm installing the toolchain as we speak. I used the script and Cygwin to run it - it was easy enough to get it to run, but its still installing, 8 hours later. Is this normal? Or did I most likely miss something? Just wondering if I should leave it for a while longer or start over.

My computer and connection arent slow either, I have a 1.8 P4 and DSL.

-Matt
0xdeadface

Post by 0xdeadface »

It took over 4 hours on my p4 2.6.
It was basically the connection I had though, restarting and selecting another server worked wonders...I selected the full install and it had quite some downloading to do.
lynx44

Post by lynx44 »

Alright, it just finished. Not sure if it works yet, but at least it appears to have executted successfully. Thanks for the script oopo!

-Matt
TRF-Yu-Ki

Post by TRF-Yu-Ki »

Ya know what's wierd about this whole thing.... I almost bashed my head into my monitor in frustration trying to get it to work. Eventually, I just downloaded CYGWIN(pointed the cygwin's setup.exe at some ps2dev ftp server, don't remember the name) into C:\PSPCYGWIN. Then, in HelloPSP's make.bat, I made it look like this:

Code: Select all

C:\PSPCYGWIN\ee\bin\ee-gcc.exe -march=r4000 -g -mgp32 -mlong32 -c hellopsp.c
C:\PSPCYGWIN\ee\bin\ee-gcc.exe -march=r4000 -g -mgp32 -mlong32 -c pg.c
C:\PSPCYGWIN\ee\bin\ee-gcc.exe -march=r4000 -g -mgp32 -c -xassembler -O -o startup.o startup.s
C:\PSPCYGWIN\ee\bin\ee-ld.exe -O0 startup.o hellopsp.o pg.o -M -Ttext 8900000 -q -o out > hellopsp.map
c:\PSPCYGWIN\outpatch
C:\PSPCYGWIN\elf2pbp outp HelloWorld
@echo you got outp as psp elf with EBOOT.PBP final stage.
....and that works just fine. I can make modifications to nem's HelloPSP, compile, execute on the PSP1.50 and I see the changes. I have no toolchain.sh ...no nothing... it just worked. Actually, I don't even need to start up cygwin. I can just click on the BAT file in windows and it compiles...so I'm not sure what I'm missing. =^P ...but, please don't bother listening to me. I'll probably run into my own problems a month or 2 down the line. This is the first time I've ever gotten involved in homebrew of a commercial videogame console. I'm just throwing this into the thread as FYI.

BTW, anyone got the sce-functions for detecting wireless networks? ;)
[/code]
Learning to hack is not bad in itself; it's what you do with your abilities that count. - a.k.a. Shadow-Me-Twice of ddrfreak.com
wulf

Post by wulf »

it's because cygwin is really just a bash shell that runs in windows.. all the programs that it executes are just unix/linux programs ported to windows (not that it's too hard to port command line apps)

bash is just a command shell replacement... but what it does is enable you to run all the "linux-y"
commands that are in shallscripts: ie cp instead of copy, etc.
senor coco

Post by senor coco »

sorry if this sound stupid but this is my first time using cgywin and everytime i try to run the script it tell me that:

gmake not fount
make not found

What do i do?
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

Run your cygwin setup again, and make sure you install 'make', when you get the option to select packages (it's somewhere under 'devel'). There are probably some other packages you'll still need to install (e.g. wget), using the same method.
senor coco

Post by senor coco »

I got everything to work but when i run the script it downbloadc everything but when it trie to install it it give me alot of arrors like:

no such file or directory
/psphome/psptoolchain/binutils-2.16.tar.gz not found in archive
/psphome/psptoolchain/gcc-4.0.0.tar.bz2 not found in archive
/psphome/psptoolchain/newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz not found in archive
cant cd binutils-2.16.tar.gz
cant cd gcc-4.0.0.tar.bz2
cant cd newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz

These are just a few. What do i do.
n1ckn4m3

Post by n1ckn4m3 »

If you get any error message pertaining to the following:

gcc-4.0.0.tar.bz2 not found in archive
wget: command not found
make: command not found
gcc: command not found

or the likes, make sure you have installed the packages 'wget' 'make' 'patch' and 'gcc' for cygwin.

That should help a little.

EDIT: on a side note, on a P4-3.4GHz Prescott w/ 1gb DDR400 ram and 3.0MBps DSL, it took about 15 mins to download/install cygwin from a good ftp. If you're having extremely long install problems, make sure you didn't select every package in the list for cygwin and make sure it's grabbing from a nice server :D. The psptoolchain takes a little while to compile, I'm at about 1.5 hours now.
... anyone up for some l33th4x?

;)
rugalz

Post by rugalz »

Hi, I followed all the instructions. However I'm still getting this error with Hello World:

Code: Select all

psp-gcc -g -c -xassembler -O -o startup.o startup.S

startup.S: Assembler messages:
startup.S:17: Error: illegal operands `la $v2,_gp'
startup.S:18: Error: illegal operands `move'
startup.S:23: Error: illegal operands `li $v2,1'
I noticed several posts has this problem but I did not see anyone responded with answer. Any help would be appriciated.
jboldiga

Post by jboldiga »

remove the 'v' in "$v2"