PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

k0nan

Post by k0nan »

jonny wrote:there is still the 44100hz audio conversion step :(
jonny I can't say how excited I am about the premise of no longer having to resize the video. I wouldn't worry about converting 48k to 44.1k hz as that only takes mere seconds in mencoder.
jonny

Post by jonny »

a new version is out on my site :O

http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/

- The color space conversion is now done with the GU (inspiration taken from the standard JiniCho's PMP 0.0.6). Speed increase of about 4fps. Quality also slightly increase (due to chroma interpolation).
- Luminosity boost - with right/left trigger (inspiration taken from malloc).
- Aspect ratio - you can switch between original, 4/3, 16/9, 2.35 (right/left with the analog joystick).
- Zoom up to 200% (up/down with the analog joystick).
- OSD (O to activate it)
- Player & Muxer: the new video resolution limit is 720x512 (obviously 720x512 clips will stutters a lot)
- Muxer: added the check for writing errors.

Notes for developers:

The only ME code left is for the idct. I've also changed the memory allocation strategy (now there are no assumptions about the initial free memory).
This means that should be easyer now to make it work on fw 2.00+ (to make it effectively usable, some optimizations are still needed).

jonny I can't say how excited I am about the premise of no longer having to resize the video.
i hope to get enough speed for this soon :)

PS: my heavy clip "Spiderman 2 Trailer Heavy" no more stutters (at least with memsticks)
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Woooooo~~hooo you're the man jonny!!
Later,

Alcahest
ps: thanks for thinking about Circle to launch PMPs ;)
TestType

Post by TestType »

Thanks Jonny, great update!
PSP: Japanese Firmware 1.0 :: 1gb SanDisk Memory Stick
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

VERY NICE THANK YOU JONNY !!!!

Did my tests since hours

- Your player now has enough performance to play smooth any of my highest insane demanding test scenes... worked them all through and they all work flawlessly now except a single scene.

I mean this is a 1:20 strike, it means your player get a 99,9% smooth playback sign for all full screen divx videos now. That means in my eyes you could lean back and enjoy the fruits of your hard hard work.

Anyway the single stuttering scene is the slavery scene in Green Mile, you see hundreds of slaves working in a permanently moving way, this is still too much but who cares. There are other much more expressive looking scenes with such a lot of changing pictures, hard, fast movements and tons of moving brightly colored objects and they ALL work flawlessly.....

- Also I really really love the OSD, the luminance, zoom and more comfortable aspect ratio settings now. Since we have several chanels, mp3 vbr and fast search what could we want more ????

- Tested several avis with higher resolutions. They all work but they all stutter, lowest tried was 608x256 and not enjoyable at all. If there is just on e more option to optimize performance I am not sure if this makes sense but anyway, let´s see

So what can be done more ?? I just see .....

- subtitles
- removement of khz limitation
- performance (of course)

Maybe a cooperation with dickydick could make the player a streamer ???

Anyway it is really really impressive to see such a great step again, you shouldn´t have called it 2.01 but better 2.50 ---- THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN !!!
Last edited by Eingang on Wed May 31, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

This new version doesn't require any resize?

I agree with subtitles addition,and also avc would be something great.

I'm gonna test this version now.
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks to all :)
- Also I really really love the OSD, the luminance, zoom and more comfortable aspect ratio settings now. Since we have several chanels, mp3 vbr and fast search what could we want more ????
yep, i have added all the stuffs i usually use with bsplayer/zoomplayer
- Tested several avis with higher resolutions. They all work but they all stutter, lowest tried was 608x256 and not enjoyable at all. If there is just on e more option to optimize performance I am not sure if this makes sense but anyway, let´s see
i've still optimizations to try before getting desperate about speed :)

streaming is also on my plans, but it's early to talk about this

This new version doesn't require any resize?
yep, but you could get some serious stuttering, depending on the video resolution/gmc/qpel
csuper

Post by csuper »

Hye Jonny,

I just tested the new version with a 640*480 encoded MANGA episode, yeah the file is playing :) but with a lot stutering anyway.... ;)

Anyway GREAT JOB !

Yep... has you can see we think about your occupation of your future free time with the "always repeating request": AVC + SUB native support ;)

Take your time ! :)

Bye.

csuper.

Ps : may I add that the POS support you'll be a fine addition to the MAIN program.... ;)
FettesBumsen2

Post by FettesBumsen2 »

what is the highest resolution without stutter?

and the POS thing would be great as standard...
Jonny youre pmpmod is the greatest thing for the psp after Dax Ziso ;)
thanatos

Post by thanatos »

nice ,guy:)
NSCXP2005

Post by NSCXP2005 »

jonny, is there any chance yo could make the OSD transparent?
it would look alot better if you could.

also in future versions could you please intergrate the mod version looks.

please reply.

cheers & thanks for this fantastic program.

NSCXP2005
scyrax

Post by scyrax »

making the OSD transparent may noticably downgrade performance....but I think the bookmark feature really could be a useful one without affecting performance.
arex

Post by arex »

i agree with scyrax :)
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

jonny,

Very impressed with 2.01, excellent work! The nice OSD works great, the mods are no longer needed. And no silly transparency needed for me, I'm perfectly happy.

With regards to your comments about ME/2.0+, just out of curiousity, does this mean that sleep mode might be available in the future (or perhaps, sleep mode from just the file menu)? It's not really an important feature by any means, I was just wondering, thx.
jonny

Post by jonny »

I just tested the new version with a 640*480
! still a bit early for this :)
Yep... has you can see we think about your occupation of your future free time with the "always repeating request": AVC + SUB native support ;)
lol thanks for thinking about this :)
Ps : may I add that the POS support you'll be a fine addition to the MAIN program.... ;)
i don't like the current implementation, i'd like to make a sort of bookmark, stored in a single file
(but this is a boring stuff to program, so you'll have to wait)

without gmc and qpel, 640x272 is around 23fps now.
so something lower than this (if you do some tests let me know your results).

jonny, is there any chance yo could make the OSD transparent?
like scyrax said this affect performance

With regards to your comments about ME/2.0+, just out of curiousity, does this mean that sleep mode might be available in the future (or perhaps, sleep mode from just the file menu)?
the ME will probably always remain for the 1.5 firmware version (i doubt a vfpu path for the idct will be faster)
NSCXP2005

Post by NSCXP2005 »

ok no problem.

would you be able to keep the way it looks in the main menu?
it looks better than it does now.

plz reply
FettesBumsen2

Post by FettesBumsen2 »

without gmc and qpel, 640x272 is around 23fps now.
so something lower than this (if you do some tests let me know your results).

in star wars 3, the scene when their plane crashes i used 576x336 and there wasnt much stutter at all.
in the russian movie day watch under a fighting scene and a driving scene i used 480x320 without any stutter...
NSCXP2005

Post by NSCXP2005 »

hiya jonny

I wonder if you can help me.
In pimpstreamer, when I run a divx file is comes up with an error
the error is - pmp_fie_open: "can't open stream". any ideas?

this app is supposed to play avi's wmv's & more.

please help
csuper

Post by csuper »

NSCXP2005 wrote:hiya jonny

I wonder if you can help me.
In pimpstreamer, when I run a divx file is comes up with an error
the error is - pmp_fie_open: "can't open stream". any ideas?

this app is supposed to play avi's wmv's & more.

please help
This is not a thread for pimpstreamer, sorry...

PMP MOD "core" only...

csuper.
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

this is awesome jonny, thank you so much for your hard work

the "clips" i have tested are episodes at 512x384 and the majority play fine only occasional stutters on high bitrates of course ;)

thank you once again

whos getting Undiluted Platinum? :)
(+.[____]·:·)
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

hey jonny

i commend you on your latest version - just as i thought you were close to the performance ceiling with 2.00, you have totally blown us away with 2.01 - and the chroma interpolation stuff is simply brilliant my friend. BRILLIANT. similarly with the interface additions - the luma/vol and zoom/aspect stuff has made this version pretty damn awesome. where can i donate - you deserve it!

i use pmpmod mainly for watching downloaded tv episodes, so the prospect of being able to create a simple batch file to convert from avi to pmp using mencoder and your muxer without having to re-encode is something i am really looking forward to. then all we need is wifi streaming so save memstick space and this app would just be way too cool.... as if it wasn't already!
sl1pkn07

Post by sl1pkn07 »

[sl1pkn07@SpinFlo pmp_muxer_2_01]$ wine pmp_muxer_tk.exe
Using the default (win2000) bottle.
Can't load 'C:\Windows\Temp/p2xtmp-10/Vector.dll' for module Bit::Vector: load_file:Module not found at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/time_math.pm line 24
Compilation failed in require at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/time_math.pm line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/time_math.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/interleaving.pm line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/interleaving.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/pmp_writer.pm line 25.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/pmp_writer.pm line 25.
Compilation failed in require at Y:\Desktop\pmp_muxer_2_01\pmp_muxer_tk.exe line 31.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Y:\Desktop\pmp_muxer_2_01\pmp_muxer_tk.exe line 31.
[sl1pkn07@SpinFlo pmp_muxer_2_01]$

:S

I'm used Crossover 1.0.1 (wine) in Fedora Core 5
(Bit::Vector installed)
jonny

Post by jonny »

thank you all,

@kaveman:
you should think that internally i have already a faster version (i haven't released it due to some stability problems).
anyway there are still things to do about performance, don't worry :)
thank you for offering a money, but i'm not accepting donations (i think morally wouldn't be 100% correct, JiniCho, psp dsk developers and ffmpeg developers never asked money from me :)

@sl1pkn07:
you should grab the muxer source on my site and run directly the perl scripts (maybe starting with the non tk version of the script)
sl1pkn07

Post by sl1pkn07 »

thanks!

GUI and muxer runnin good. but the output video freezes in the pspmod (2.01) player

specs of video:

Divx5 640x480 FR:29,970 / mp3 128kbps

adjunt log of the muxing

http://sl1pkn07.no-ip.com/Downloads/log
jonny

Post by jonny »

by freeze you mean the app crash and keys are no more responding (if yes, are you able to see some frames before this happen)?
what program/parameters have you used to produce the avi (if it's made by you)?
psp

Post by psp »

i think your pmp mod is the best homebrew for psp
thank you for your hard work.

i love the idea to have the ability to play movies in psp without transcoding (i have slow computer- 3hours to transcode movie)

do you plane to remove khz limitation to avoid transcoding?

if you do it will be nice if you make muxer that make the pmp from avi without transcoding?

again, thank you for pmp mod.
sl1pkn07

Post by sl1pkn07 »

This is a oroginal video:

ed2k://|file|Hinoi Team - Night of Fire.avi|83126272|4359D95764C252FBF2FF4EC3AB15708D|/

Demux audio an video with Avidemux (RPM precompiled for my distro). first save only audio, and finaly select audio track in the audio options (Audio/Main track) None and save video in Copy Mode (no recomprimed).

this is a result video:

http://rapidshare.de/files/21852817/hinoi.pmp.html

the app no crash, and keys responding good... but te audio and video "freeze-play" (I do not know like translating it to the English) during the visualization.

saludos

sorry my bad english
jonny

Post by jonny »

do you plane to remove khz limitation to avoid transcoding?
before doing this, more work in the video side is needed
the app no crash, and keys responding good... but te audio and video "freeze-play" (I do not know like translating it to the English) during the visualization.
ok, welcome to the stuttering club :)
it's a normal behavior of the app. happen when the psp is not able to decode audio/video in realtime.
(the current resolution limit, to have smooth playback, is something slightly more than 480x272, so you must reencode the clip using a lower resolution)
i'll get more speed in the future (i hope :)
sl1pkn07

Post by sl1pkn07 »

THANKS! WORKS! YAHOO!! HALLEJULLA!! (Lordy powa :P)

very thanks jonny for linux implement!
jonny

Post by jonny »

you have finally got it :)

@all:
seems there are problems with the analogue control (seems to not work as it should on eur psps - maybe also us?)
is there someone having the analogue stick not working with the latest 2.01?
i need someone with this problem - to find/test a 100% working keys combination