AVItoPMP (1.2.0): advanced tool for pmp video

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

i would like to have WMA audio instead of MP3 to have smaller filesize. is that possible? and what is the best setting for video compression related to picture quality? and whats that new AVC codec (is it a codec?).

and another question. is it possible to create pmp files with virtualdub? why did the author the pmp container? isnt it the same like mp3 and divx muxed together? where is the difference btw a muxed avi and a muxed pmp?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

A little search on the forums and on jonnys site would have answered most of your questions.
I'm in a nice mood though, so you're lucky and I'll answer anyway:

1) WMA is not supported by PMP Mod. It currently only handles MP3 audio streams. WMA support isn't planned for the near future also, as much as I know.
2) For questions regarding encoding settings, I'm not the best choice, but I found a constant bitrate of ~512kbit for anime episodes and ~1024kbit with XVid to provide very good quality, while staying at accetpable filesizes.
3) AVC stands for Advanced Video Coding, also known as h264 or MPEG-4 Part 10 and is the best video codec currently available. It provides better motion compensation at better compression ratios compared to other MPEG-4 codecs (DivX/XVid). For more information, just check out what wikipedia has to say about it.
You should also notice, that AVC is supported by the PSP's hardware and therefore the playback is very fast. It is no problem to get UMD quality with it.
4) VirtualDub doesn't know the pmp container format, so you can't create pmp files with it. You can however create avi files, which you can then pass to pmp_muxer together with a mp3 file to mux both into a pmp.
5-7) jonny created the pmp container because other container formats created problems with syncing audio and video and also influenced speed. At that time, speed was very important to get a smooth playback. As a result however, any pmp video won't ever get out of sync. Also, other container formats like avi are much more complex and harder to parse.

Please try to research on such basic questions yourself first the next time.
DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

will AVC be integrated into AVItoPMP in the future?
DieselGuy

Johnny & uNn99<<you both are AWESOME!!

Post by DieselGuy »

I gotta tell you I've tried just about every app out there and so far this is THE application to use...it took my Divx/Xvid movies and converted them to PMP files...LOVED IT!!!!...I now hear AVC codec is better than Divx/Xivd due to better picture quality and file size...would you PLEASE add support for this muxer on your next version...I'm willing to donate ..you have a paypal account? you saved me so much time it would be worth every penny.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

DocMAX wrote:will AVC be integrated into AVItoPMP in the future?
Yes, it will be integrated, but we need a special version of mencoder (special build) and at this moment there isn't :(

DieselGuy: it’s a freeware project, i've created it because there weren't an encoder that fully satisfies my requests... And besides I even don't have a paypal account :)
psp

Post by psp »

uNn99 wrote: Yes, it will be integrated, but we need a special version of mencoder (special build) and at this moment there isn't :(
from cooleyes:
OK, this is a mencoder bin release , which have patched.
http://rapidshare.de/files/23885627/men ... d.rar.html

cant wait for avc support
psp

Post by psp »

edit: post twice sorry
Last edited by psp on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
psp

Post by psp »

i ask it before but i didnt get an answer (no is ok just want to know if you read my little request). thanks anyway.
please add support for desc fonts
you just need to add this line to the bat file
-font "location_of_file\font.desc"
in order to this to work we also need to remove this line:
-unicode -subcp cp1255
and for same unknown reason to move the path of video file to the end

example:

orginal:
"C:\psp\AVItoPMP_P4\apps\mencoder\mencoder.exe" "C:\divx.avi" -unicode -subcp cp1255 -vf unsharp=l3x3:1:c3x3:1,scale=480:272 -sub "C:\psp\s01e10.hebrew fixed.srt" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:chroma_me:chroma_opt -nosound -o "C:\psp\AVItoPMP_P4\AVItoPMP_P4\divx_tmp.avi"

work with desc font:

"C:\psp\AVItoPMP_P4\apps\mencoder\mencoder.exe" -font "c:\psp\AVItoPMP_P4\font.desc" -vf unsharp=l3x3:1:c3x3:1,scale=480:272 -sub "C:\psp\s01e10.hebrew fixed.srt" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:chroma_me:chroma_opt -nosound "C:\divx.avi" -o "C:\psp\AVItoPMP_P4\AVItoPMP_P4\divx_tmp.avi"

(in short: remove the blue,add the green,move the red)

this support will be very useful i love avitopmp but the subtitle doest work well with regular font (need hebrew support)
i think desc font will also be useful with other language .
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My subtitle mod supports hebrew, so no need to encode the subtitles to the video ;)
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

Did you try to change this font - "\apps\Mencoder\mplayer\subfont.ttf" to yours?
psp

Post by psp »

uNn99 wrote:Did you try to change this font - "\apps\Mencoder\mplayer\subfont.ttf" to yours?
yes try it. it doesnt work because it is a different format . desc fonts are used with mplayer for linux and support hebrew and other language.
if you think it's not so important it will be nice if you just move the path of video file to the end (the red in my explanation). the path of the font i can manually add in the advanced setting.

@Raphel
yes you are right your mod work excellent with hebrew (never thougt i can watch hebrew in psp with regular subs, you realy supprise me)
but i want to use the newst avc.
Last edited by psp on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Well, if you give me one or two hours, I might upload a modded version of PMP Mod AVC 1.02 ;)
DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

with patched mencoder i have done a custom AVItoPMP for PMP AVC. works fine. interest?
psp

Post by psp »

@DocMAX
I will wait for official release. thanks for offering.
@Raphel
great!!
csuper

Post by csuper »

DocMAX wrote:with patched mencoder i have done a custom AVItoPMP for PMP AVC. works fine. interest?
I 'am !!!
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

New version with AVC is on the way :) I'm testing now...
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

v0.9.8:
- x264 (AVC) support
- small feature with subtitles: support for desc fonts (put desc.font into program directory and check setting)
psp

Post by psp »

thats was fast!

THANKS
csuper

Post by csuper »

S U P E R ! :)

Edit : Is it possible to encode the subtitle in yellow with a thin black outline ?
If yes... where do I put the changes...?

Thanx.

csuper.
psp

Post by psp »

lopoz

Post by lopoz »

I'm trying to encode a vid with AVItoPMP 0.9.8, but i get the following error in my CMD window (AVC muxer):

[(dwWidth % 16) != 0]

My original video is 720 x 576, and AVI to PMP resized it to 344 x 272.
I'm using the x264(AVC) codec to encode.

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?
If you need any more info, let me know..
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

(dwWidth % 16) means dwWidth MODULO 16, that is mathematically the remainder of dividing dwWidth through 16.
Saying it is != 0 simply means, that your width is not a multiple of 16 (344/16 = 21.5), so either use a width of 22*16 = 352 or 21*16 = 336 and it should work.

Regards
lopoz

Post by lopoz »

Raphael wrote:(dwWidth % 16) means dwWidth MODULO 16, that is mathematically the remainder of dividing dwWidth through 16.
Saying it is != 0 simply means, that your width is not a multiple of 16 (344/16 = 21.5), so either use a width of 22*16 = 352 or 21*16 = 336 and it should work.

Regards
thanks for the answer!

how come the xvid muxer doesnt have this limitation? when I use that codec, the muxer doesnt give any errors..

[edit]
does that mean that if i want to encode this video with AVC I'll have to live with a slightly stretched/narrow video? or crop it?

[edit2]
also, how come WMV transcoding is slower than e.g. avi?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

lopoz wrote: how come the xvid muxer doesnt have this limitation? when I use that codec, the muxer doesnt give any errors..
Because xvid (or more precisely, all older mpeg-4 variants) use smaller sized macroblocks and so don't have only a limitation to multiples of 8. Well, actually XVid can also decode arbitrary sized videos, but pmp won't handle it.
[edit]
does that mean that if i want to encode this video with AVC I'll have to live with a slightly stretched/narrow video? or crop it?
Yes. This is unnoticeable though, since it's at most 8 pixels difference.
[edit2]
also, how come WMV transcoding is slower than e.g. avi?
[/quote]
because wmv is more complex and also not an open format and therefore readers are made by reverse-enginiering the format, so unoptimized.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

csuper wrote: Is it possible to encode the subtitle in yellow with a thin black outline ?
If yes... where do I put the changes...?
To change subtitle color use sub-bg-color in advanced settings. Subfont-outline sets the font outline thickness, but about outline color - don't know how to change it :(

------
new small change: build 0.9.8.48 - rescaled width and height should be divisible by 16 (for AVC purposes)
klaatu45

can't get rid of ghosting

Post by klaatu45 »

I can't seem to get rid of those nasty brown streaks from my video files, I am currently testing the AVI to PMP by uNn. It plays great, but I can't get rid of those streaks (ghosting)! Here is the information:

Metal gear 4 trailer (2006)
Original Source.........
FileSize/String : 376 MiB
Format/String : Quicktime
OveralBitRate/String : 3539 Kbps
PlayTime/String : 14mn 51s

Video #0
Codec/String : Sorenson 3
Codec/Info : Sorenson Media Video 3 (Apple QuickTime 5)
BitRate/String : 3223 Kbps
Width : 852
Height : 480
AspectRatio/String : 16/9
FrameRate/String : 29.969 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.263

Audio #0
Codec/String : AAC LC
BitRate/String : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 2 channels
SamplingRate/String : 48 KHz

Using AVi to PMP settings:
Video Compression...: x264, AVC, const. bitrate, use sharp
Resolution................: 480x272
Target Bitrate...........: 850kbps
FPS.........................: 30
Audio compression...: Mancoder, 44100 Hz, 160kbps

anything I can do? Thanks in advance!
DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

hello uNn!

program works fine but for foreign users filenames with ä ö ü etc do not work :-( can u fix this?
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

DocMAX wrote:hello uNn!

program works fine but for foreign users filenames with ä ö ü etc do not work :-( can u fix this?
For me Russian symbols works fine, but about ä ö ü i can't say clearly...
psp

Post by psp »

it doesn't work from a network drive (for eample if my avi is located in \\Amd\movies\The Island when Amd is the name of the network computer)
can it be fixed?

btw: I think for psp avi2pmp is the simpliest and yet doesn't limt you in encoding options. good work!!
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

psp wrote:it doesn't work from a network drive (for eample if my avi is located in \\Amd\movies\The Island when Amd is the name of the network computer)
can it be fixed?

btw: I think for psp avi2pmp is the simpliest and yet doesn't limt you in encoding options. good work!!
I often convert video from a network device (for example: "\\Maxximus\filmz\Gagarin.mpg") - just change the output path to your hard drive and it works 100%