What is right and what is wrong?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Neil Stevens

Post by Neil Stevens »

Legality isn't the issue here. Cooperation is.
PSPimp

Post by PSPimp »

mc wrote:
mrbrown wrote:I seriously have about given up on ps2dev - a lot of you guys whine, troll, or whatever, but you don't actually write any code or provide any useful information or encouragement to beginners. playstation2-linux.com does do that and much more.

And guess what? It's officially supported by Sony.
It seems unlikely that Sony would provide/support anything like it for the PSP though. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong! :-)
well, so far SONY has provided homebrew environments for all consoles they released (for PSOne you had the Yaroze and for PS2 you have PS2 Linux) about 2 years into the consoles lifecycle ... let's see what the future brings and never give up hope. just give it some time young padawan! ;-)
pspdeveloper

Post by pspdeveloper »

Would it be illegal to use someone elses wireless connection with your psp?
pdc

Post by pdc »

pspdeveloper wrote:Would it be illegal to use someone elses wireless connection with your psp?
uhhh... YES.

In the eyes of the law, this is stealing.

Even if the individual/company allows it, it is probably in breach of their ISP's TOS.

Post by Guest »

And the issue of using someone else's access point without permission has no relationship with the PSP and is off topic.

It falls under the general category of "using any wifi-enabled device with someone else's access point without permission".

We only want to discuss what are the right things to do, or the wrong things to avoid, while hacking into the PSP itself. Using the PSP itself to do illegal things with something other than the PSP itself it outside the scope of the conversation. I could tell you what I think, except that again, it would be off-topic. :P
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

He never did say he didn't have permission...
L0j1k

Post by L0j1k »

Greetings, everyone. I'm new.

On the subject of accessing someone else's netwr0k with the PSP (all ethical opinions aside): there currently are no federal laws governing the access of unencrypted, ssid-broadcasting, wireless networks not owned by yourself. I mean, downtown Atlanta (or somesuch largish city) has set up a public WiFi network for people to use for free. Most people in WiFi-saturated neighborhoods who set up wireless networks for their home often connect to their neighbors network on reboot without even knowing it.

On the subject of discovering the capabilities and exact minutiae as to the gears that drive the system.. well.. we bought it. We didn't rent it. If I can hack my living room lamp to go get me a beer, GE can't sue me for using the device in a legal manner that they would deem a violation of its intended uses. I bought the damned thing.

[EDIT]: It would be like the gun manufacturers of England suing Americans for using weapons to free themselves of colonialism. The philosophy behind these sort of ethical battles are, however, the r00t cause of most ideological confrontations in many countries, cultures and communities. [UNEDIT]

On the subject of homebrew? See above paragraph.
--
Eyeore, arm photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the Heffalump. Tigger, Piglet, meet me in Transporter Room Three.

This post posted using 100% recycled electrons.
--
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

L0j1k wrote:On the subject of discovering the capabilities and exact minutiae as to the gears that drive the system.. well.. we bought it. We didn't rent it. If I can hack my living room lamp to go get me a beer, GE can't sue me for using the device in a legal manner that they would deem a violation of its intended uses. I bought the damned thing.
True, you did buy the hardware, but not the firmware. That you only bought a license to use. So while you can do anything you want with the hardware, the software remains under Sony's control. But if you want to make a whole new firmware for it, feel free. Then you can dictate development terms to everyone who has a console using your firmware.
L0j1k wrote:[EDIT]: It would be like the gun manufacturers of England suing Americans for using weapons to free themselves of colonialism. The philosophy behind these sort of ethical battles are, however, the r00t cause of most ideological confrontations in many countries, cultures and communities. [UNEDIT]
I'm sure if they could go back in time and do it they would.
w00t
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

pdc wrote:
pspdeveloper wrote:Would it be illegal to use someone elses wireless connection with your psp?
uhhh... YES.

In the eyes of the law, this is stealing.

Even if the individual/company allows it, it is probably in breach of their ISP's TOS.
i would dis aggress, its like saying WiFi is illegal. if it is why do they sell it? its for hot spots or anywhere that gives out wireless signal. if they really didnt want anyone to use there signal. they would be smart enough to add an encryption. also who says hes not talking about his friends wireless signal in his home.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Something I mentioned over in pspforums.com, was the possibility of moding games like socom. They could even release the map editor and stuff for the computer and then you transfer it over to you psp.
This is why this is a very good thing.
When I purchase games, I try to pick the ones with the most replay value and because of this, I am not a console gamer. I switched over to PC games quite a few years ago.
The number 1 and 2 game I play? HL1/HL2. Im not even playing the game, im just playing a modifications of it.
If sony would apply this same method to the psps, they could really start something.
I really doubt preventing the warez of umd discs would be so hard. Why cant they apply the same encryption techniques towards the games instead of they executing of code. Or something crazy that wont let people play the games if its not actually in the drive. RFID tags in the discs, psp needs to detect it before the game can load(I dont know something).
Also, gaming communites thrive when there customers are able to customize, and keep the replayabilty of a game for a very long time. EX Starcraft, Warcraft3. If it werent for the maps, what fun would these games really be.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Should (private and limited) distribution of disassembler output (i.e. disassembled binaries) be allowed? I would consider it still to be the intellectual property of the developer, but it's necessary for psp homebrew development and would probably reduce the amount of people who try to write umd dumpers, go searching for isos, etc.

So, any opinions on this?

-ReK
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I'd say it probably falls under the same thing as the UMD data itself. Fine to study and quote - but making it available in whole form is probably a bad thing.