Studying sio port

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

roby65

Studying sio port

Post by roby65 »

Hi guys,
i want to make a cool thing....use devices with the sio of the psp.
I'm studying how it works, and i'm going to buy a pic to use with serial communication.....but i have a question: how does the port works in a psp program?
I know there is a "putchar" function, but...will the device receive ONLY that, or also cmd etc? And about the device....what cmd to send?

My projects: use a pic to control one or more device by the psp, maybe with a background prx
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You can find examples of using the serial in things like the pikey library. There's no software for the serial - you have to use a kernel mode prx that bangs on the serial hardware directly.
pegasus2000

Post by pegasus2000 »

Nanodesktop SDK has native support for Serial I/O port.
roby65

Post by roby65 »

i'm trying to see if the sio example in the pspsdk works with the remote control of the psp, but....why i must use a prx?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

roby65 wrote:i'm trying to see if the sio example in the pspsdk works with the remote control of the psp, but....why i must use a prx?
If you use old kernel mode 1.50 CFW homebrew, you don't. If you use the new compatible-with-anything user mode homebrew, you need to use a kernel mode prx. So it depends on who you're targeting - if you want this to run on Slims as well as Phats, you need to make the kernel mode prx for use with the user mode app.