PSPY WIP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jube

PSPY WIP

Post by jube »

hi all, with the PSPZ project finally comming to completion i decided to make a new thread with my new project !

PSPY is not a re-work of the psp as the last project was but effectivly a joint hardware/software add-on.

PSPY will be a box, with physical dimensions no bigger then the psp ( smaller !!!! ). Which contains the following

1) large capacity battery for the pspy and to supliment pspz

2) Embedded version of nethost_fs and usbhost_fs

3) Embedded wi-fi controller

3)250GB SATA HDD

users will be able to stream iso's from the drive to their psp over usb or wifi using hostcore or similar thus allowing the psp to access the whole 250gb space.

Part 2 of PSPY is a software only effort.

1) port aircrack.ng ( http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatible_cards ) to the psp.

if anyone has any comments or input to this project will be most welcome, i have as yet done zero research except to know that usbhost_fs has been ported to an embedded device, so it definatly can be done !!!
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

Excellent project! You'll be a millionaire soon :D Make sure the cost doesnt exceed $50.
Intrigued by PSP system Since December 2006.
Use it more for Development than for Gaming.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

So you need an Embedded linux to manage the wifi controler, usbhost etc ... ? What the point of the wifi controler ?
kralyk

Post by kralyk »

I dont think thats a good idea. The hdd would require quite a lot of battery power, which would make the batter even bigger etc.
And whats the point of another WiFi controller anyway?

However, I encourage the aircrack-ng port, go on with that!
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

kralyk wrote:I dont think thats a good idea. The hdd would require quite a lot of battery power, which would make the batter even bigger etc.

That will make it controversial :/
jean

Post by jean »

Uhm...i messed up with IDE controllers time ago...wifi controllers: never seen one. Your project, it's doable but it's not simple and surely not meant to be homebuilt by everyone. In addition to this it's EXPENSIVE. Me too, i would like to give you some advice: i think we should invest in MS PRO DUO reversing. I found a doc with eletrical specifications but with all pages containing sw codes for controlling it blanked out...
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

kralyk wrote:I dont think thats a good idea. The hdd would require quite a lot of battery power, which would make the batter even bigger etc.

Point 1: 802.11g
Point 2: Monitor mode will not work with current wifi controllers unless you reprogram the bios too (which obviously is not easy :D)
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

moonlight wrote:

Point 1: 802.11g
Point 2: Monitor mode will not work with current wifi controllers unless you reprogram the bios too (which obviously is not easy :D)

But serial interface doesn't even have enough bandwidth to even let us enjoy 802.11b speeds. :(
jube

Post by jube »

the wi-fi controller is there to allow nethost_fs to stream iso's to SEVERAL psp's possibly simultaniously ie it acts as a pc running nethost_fs, a system which with hostcore can now run iso's from the pc hdd.

Thus you only need 1 pspy, fill it full of games and you and your household never have to worry about space again.

Rewriting bios?....... isnt that what a cfw exatly is?

From experience of aircrack you just need to port the essence of the code to the psp os, monitor mode is DEFINATLY available with most chipsets, the only thing stopping most pc's is th OS ( windows will not do it, linux will )

Contraversial?........... Bloody hope so, this thing will piss on so many copywrites, piss sony right off, and unleash a hoard of 14 year old hackers worldwide into sensitive wifi networks, society should really keep people like me away from electronics :)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

The BIOS for the wlan chip itself is totally separate from the firmware :P And as it happens, in this case it is not the PSP firmware which is preventing monitor mode and packet injection, but the firmware on the chip. So nope, just having written a CFW does not allow nice things like WEP cracking xD
jube

Post by jube »

kickinazz........ not using the serial for this, its all going through wifi or usb.

jean........ good point about the mspro duo, you been reading my notes on pspx ?. The cost may not be as much as you think, if we can get it on uclinux then it can go on a microcontroller without mmu, then we have a world of arm7 based micros with usb et etc etc all comming in under $5, just depends upon a uclinux port of nethost_fs and usbhost_fs, the cost without hdd COULD come in under $60
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

jube wrote:kickinazz........ not using the serial for this, its all going through wifi or usb.

jean........ good point about the mspro duo, you been reading my notes on pspx ?. The cost may not be as much as you think, if we can get it on uclinux then it can go on a microcontroller without mmu, then we have a world of arm7 based micros with usb et etc etc all comming in under $5, just depends upon a uclinux port of nethost_fs and usbhost_fs, the cost without hdd COULD come in under $60
Oh I forgot...

There is supposed to be the inbuilt usbhostfs system right?

Suppose if we want to surf the web (i'm not talking abt wifi pckt sniffing) on 802.11G via the wifi controller everything gets rerouted via the usbhostfs; a new webbrowser needs to be written?
jube

Post by jube »

jas............. DAMN AND BLAST, there goes that dream!!!, you seem to know your way round the psp wifi chipset , is it one of those that will never push out monitor/inject capabilities, or is a FW update to resolve the issue possible? Updating chip FW not as scarry as it seems, might even be a routine in the PSP FW to do it?
Oh well back to the drwing board!

Kick........ hmmm, have totally no idea how nethost_fs would work with inernet, thinking it wont!! I think just ISO streaming, the wifi-controller onboard the pspy would just be there to act as a access-point with iso data
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

Yes, you can update the internal chip FW, and very very easily, which exactly what wlanfirm_magpie.prx and the other one do. However, you need to update it with the correct one :) Sony interface the WLAN controller with a memory stick host interface, and I am sure the WLAN firmware somehow takes this into account. If you want to look into the firmwares, etc, have a glance at the OLPC marvell reverse-engineering project, there is a firmware extraction tool which works perfectly on the PSP.
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

adrahil wrote:Yes, you can update the internal chip FW, and very very easily, which exactly what wlanfirm_magpie.prx and the other one do. However, you need to update it with the correct one :) Sony interface the WLAN controller with a memory stick host interface, and I am sure the WLAN firmware somehow takes this into account. If you want to look into the firmwares, etc, have a glance at the OLPC marvell reverse-engineering project, there is a firmware extraction tool which works perfectly on the PSP.
I feel tempted to ask but does this improve the probability of us having 54g in near future?
jube

Post by jube »

adrahil....... thanks a lot for that mate!! will get up to speed on wlan theory and then have a look at that reverse engineering project, maybe someone has already modified the wlan chipset fw for our needs?, you never know till you look ! Its deeper then i wanted to go but hey am weak on radio packet theory in general, and its good excuse to rectify that !